Academy Successes - Best in the Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mason, Townsend, Livermore - all Enfield boys
Kane - Chingford
Little Tommy Carroll - Watford
Caulker - Hounslow

All playing regularly in the Premier League all relatively local boys too.

Add in Bentaleb and Rose (bought in but still played in the development sides) and it must be the most productive top level academy in the Premier League?

Who do we attribute this crop to? Inglethorpe? McDermott? Ramsey? Even Temporary Timmy? And why now? What's changed from the days of Marney and Jackson?

Whoever - long may it continue....

Tactics Tim, Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand definitely deserve some of the credit, along with those currently running the program. They have given us a pool of talented young footballers, regardless of anything else. It seems like most of them will go on to have solid professional careers, even if not all with us.

As a % of our first team, it's good, but not great, but I think by next year we'll see an even bigger influence.

Anyone who follows the academy knows that the lads coming through now in the 16 - 19 age group are something special.

Potentially between 6 - 10 Premier League players in those 3 year groups in my opinion, with 2 or 3 of those almost nailed on.

Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters, Azzaoui, Winks, Oduwa, Ogilvie, Edwards, Georgiou, Maghoma.

All of those have the potential to play at the top level if they keep developing how they are currently, and keep their attitude up.

Anyone who follows the academy knows that the lads coming through now in the 16 - 19 age group are something special.

Potentially between 6 - 10 Premier League players in those 3 year groups in my opinion, with 2 or 3 of those almost nailed on.

Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters, Azzaoui, Winks, Oduwa, Ogilvie, Edwards, Georgiou, Maghoma.

All of those have the potential to play at the top level if they keep developing how they are currently, and keep their attitude up.
Heard good things about Azzaoui but know little of him myself. Can you shed some light?

The club have spent over £45m in training facilities and appropriate staff in order to accommodate our youth team - and to eradicate our pathetic history of bringing through genuine, class players.

Is it the best yet? I think Southampton have something to say about that, and watch out for Man City, too.

It's not about being the best, though, it's about being relevant, and for too many years our youth set up was farcical.

Southampton is streets ahead, just off the top of my head...

Bale
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlaine
Lallana
Shaw
Ward-Prowse
Wayne Bridge

And West Hams is pretty decent

Defoe
Joe Cole
Lampard
Carrick
Rio Ferdinand
Tomkins
Noble
Glenn Johnson

As a % of our first team, it's good, but not great
Mate, it's fucking incredible. Bentaleb joined us at 17 after being turned away by several other clubs, so I'd include him in that list without hesitation.

To be playing in the upper reach of the Premier League and chasing a CL berth with 3 academy products nailed-on starters and others waiting in the wings is pretty unusual.

In terms of academy production I think we're leading the league at the moment along with Southampton on a par.

Bale
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlaine
Lallana
Shaw
Ward-Prowse
Wayne Bridge

Defoe
Joe Cole
Lampard
Carrick
Rio Ferdinand
Tomkins
Noble
Glenn Johnson

I think the thread is refering to recent success, West Ham haven't produced anyone for years.

Mate, it's fucking incredible. Bentaleb joined us at 17 after being turned away by several other clubs, so I'd include him in that list without hesitation.

To be playing in the upper reach of the Premier League and chasing a CL berth with 3 academy products nailed-on starters and others waiting in the wings is pretty unusual.

In terms of academy production I think we're leading the league at the moment along with Southampton on a par.

Agreed Bentaleb should be included, we got his career on track.

I think the thread is refering to recent success, West Ham haven't produced anyone for years.
I'm more interested in what their academy is doing now, not what they produced 20 years ago.
West Ham haven't produced anyone of note since Tomkins though and he broke through 6 years back. Nearly 20 years since Lampard and Ferdinand coming through...
Yeah fair enough, it was only a secondary thought anyway.

Last edited:
Heard good things about Azzaoui but know little of him myself. Can you shed some light?
From the little i have seen and heard over here in Belgium , he's a younger - faster version of Hazard but without the physical strenght that Hazard has. loves to take on players, very unpredictable but needs to learn to play in and for a team.

Him, Tielemans, the Musonda kid from Chelsea and another one that is in italy at the moment are said to be Belgium's next golden generation. Seen some of them play for the NT youth teams and they were just OTT good.

Ricardo Moniz is the man who revolutionised our academy apparently, WindyCOYS WindyCOYS would be able to shed a bit more light on it. Changed the training methods and how we look at players. This was back when Arnesen was with us.

Bale
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlaine
Lallana
Shaw
Ward-Prowse
Wayne Bridge

Defoe
Joe Cole
Lampard
Carrick
Rio Ferdinand
Tomkins
Noble
Glenn Johnson

West Ham haven't produced anyone of note since Tomkins though and he broke through 6 years back. Nearly 20 years since Lampard and Ferdinand coming through...

We're good compared to the rest of the league, but I feel the PL is in a bit of a 90s Serie A style bubble with the buying of foreign players. Soton, under Pochettino reminded everyone that there was an alternative, and we luckily had already drunk the same Kool-Aid, even if the managers at the time (Redknapp and AVB) hadn't.

Still, I think it's going to get even better, as we'll be seeing a lot more of the lads coming through within the next 18 months. It's paying pretty clear dividends on the pitch and in the stands, so it's not like we're going to back off on this approach.

Back
Top Bottom