Abusive songs on Sunday

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Admin

The Fighting Cock
Omnipotent
Few reports on this.

The Adebayor one by Woolwich was obviously OTT. We're guilty of similar though.

Any views? Anyone get involved or do you avoid joining in?

I prefer to sing about how great we are and our players than get involved with calling people peodophiles.

I don't get involved in songs such as calling people peadophiles, I'm up for banter, no problem, but I think in today's world there isn't any, just offensive chanting. In my experience of going to Spurs in the late 80's and early 90's, fans would banter inside the ground for close to 90 minutes and the ones who were game went for it after the match.

Today, I find there are so many keyboard warriors coming up with songs that are offensive just for the sake of it. This isn't a Spurs problem, but one with many clubs.

On another note, the day Diana died we went away to Highbury, some Spurs fans were singing that paedo song back then. That's 1997! We could do with a new repitiore of songs for the away fixture next year.

eggsoakley said:
My mates blog I help sometimes with has a few points about the songs, and fans today.

http://blog.footballrascal.com/football-in-crisis-are-fans-losing-the-stands/
Nice blog, the repeated use of the word banter made me shudder a little.

Agree with the sentiment of the blog though, I couldn't give a fuck what they sang about Adebayor. They also said we should have died in the riots. We give it out we have to take it, part and parcel of local derbies I feel.

The songs are bad, I know. I wouldn't feel to sing it shoulda been you at a man who experienced what Ade did. But White Hart Lane was raining paedo chants. There is a difference since the Ade thing references a real event where he nearly died and saw his friends murdered, and the Wenger thing is just a bad joke, no reality in it, but overall it seems futile to get worked up over it.

At least we don't have infamous cases of our fans being killed like Leeds and Liverpool. When people wave Turkish flags to Leeds it makes me despair.

I was completely sober on Sunday, I didn't get involved in the paedo chants (although I wore a badge which said as much).

If you take most chants at a local derby in isolation, they're all offensive on some level. But I think it'd detract from the atmosphere if hateful songs weren't sung. My moral compass tends to change when I'm in the stadium and you can see their fans, their players, their kit inside OUR stadium. The Wenger chants are sung by Man U and Chelsea fans, doesn't necessarily make the chants right but if they're going to ban one set of fans and not ban others then that's bullshit.

I absolutely detest Woolwich, when I'm at the NLD I have to let those feelings out. Now I'm not violent so I won't be smashing their fans up but if I want to call RVP a molester then I will. The Wenger chants are a bit of a grey area for me really, it's clearly not true, it's unpleasant but I can't see those chants going away.

I think Lee Carsley has a disabled child, he got ripped for that in a derby IIRC. That's crossing the line for me. Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough cross the line. I'm really conflicted about the Adebayor chant, it's out of order but I've heard our own fans sing similar before he joined us.

This long ramble has left me somewhat confused! ha ha!

Thelonious Filth said:
I was completely sober on Sunday, I didn't get involved in the paedo chants (although I wore a badge which said as much).

If you take most chants at a local derby in isolation, they're all offensive on some level. But I think it'd detract from the atmosphere if hateful songs weren't sung. My moral compass tends to change when I'm in the stadium and you can see their fans, their players, their kit inside OUR stadium. The Wenger chants are sung by Man U and Chelsea fans, doesn't necessarily make the chants right but if they're going to ban one set of fans and not ban others then that's bullshit.

I absolutely detest a***nal, when I'm at the NLD I have to let those feelings out. Now I'm not violent so I won't be smashing their fans up but if I want to call RVP a molester then I will. The Wenger chants are a bit of a grey area for me really, it's clearly not true, it's unpleasant but I can't see those chants going away.

I think Lee Carsley has a disabled child, he got ripped for that in a derby IIRC. That's crossing the line for me. Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough cross the line. I'm really conflicted about the Adebayor chant, it's out of order but I've heard our own fans sing similar before he joined us.

This long ramble has left me somewhat confused! ha ha!

I think if any of our fans sung about Adebayor and the shooting - in which real people lost their lives - well, if that isnt crossing the line, I dont know what is.

Their fans said we should've died in the riots as well. Didn't offend me personally.

Edit: Adebayor chants, crossed the line? Yeah, did it offend me personally? no. I really don't know why, maybe it's because I half expected them to do it.

Also, Arry going out in the press and condemning their chants while ignoring our own wasn't a clever move on his part.

singing about the shootings and wenger were obviously going to happen, if there going to start arresting people for it, especially the wenger one that's been going round for over 10 years there should have been some pre warning. im not saying there not wrong or right, but to suddenly start this over a chant that's seen no repercussions for that long is absurd and unfair I feel. the Leeds man u chants didn't seem to get this much press, neither has any of the hissing noises. there should be a blanket statement saying what you can and cant sing about, there sterilising football so much surprised there hasn't been, but they cant go case by case and hand out punishments when they see fit

The sad thing about the whole situation, is that the media and our own fans have had to talk about offensive chanting instead of a great win against our local rivals.

The funny thing is I wasnt far from the Woolwich fans and I was too wrapped up in the game to hear them sing about Adebayor, I genuinely didnt notice it. Bu then again, I dont listen out for what the other fans are singing.

empefour said:
The sad thing about the whole situation, is that the media and our own fans have had to talk about offensive chanting instead of a great win against our local rivals.
probably because we didn't play as well as we should, the game was pretty forgettable. Not much of note really happened during the game for me, but obviously I'm over the moon that we beat them but I felt a little flat leaving the stadium as we should really have torn them a new one instead of scraping a win.

Back
Top Bottom