A comprehensive history of Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a Master's degree student and I am currently writing my dissertation about Spurs and I'm looking to find a detailed history of the club and its effects on the local community.

Any one have any good sources or any good links/contacts (besides what is already on the website) that they could recommend?

Any fan's that have any stories about the club from the 1940's through to the 1990's would also be useful!

Anything people can suggest will be great!

Thanks.

I'm a Master's degree student and I am currently writing my dissertation about Spurs and I'm looking to find a detailed history of the club and its effects on the local community.

Any one have any good sources or any good links/contacts (besides what is already on the website) that they could recommend?

Any fan's that have any stories about the club from the 1940's through to the 1990's would also be useful!

Thanks.

1940's?

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever over to you sir!

Thanks.
Have you contacted the club? They might be able to let you see some primary documents (if any still exist).

Don't know if it will be a lot of use or not really but the book "Forward the Spurs" is pretty good, it's about the club's formative years though, up through to our cup final in 1921, I think.

Get a copy of Opus, Tottenham Boys We Are Here, We Are Tottenham and Glory Glory Nights.
All very good books that have TONS of info in.

This is all great stuff! Thanks for your help!

If anyone else has suggestions, keep them coming!

Anything on how the club has impacted the area in those decades would be great! (Pre-Foundation Days in particular!)

Thanks.

The Spurs Miscellany (Adam Powley & Martin Croake- foreword by Steve Perryman) is not a bad little book full of interesting stuff. Has all the H and A kits from 1882-2009 (its publishing year).
There is also an article about how we got the name Hotspur : Nobleman aHenry Percy (1366-1403) nickname 'Harry Hotspur' of Alnwick Castle Northumberland.
Lots of decent stuff in there.

I think a fact that is very relevant in this year ( as the new inquests for Hillsborough are happening) is what happened to us in the FA Cup semi v Wolves at Hillsborough at the Leppings Lane end.
If it wasn't for the fact that the Police open the gate let some onto the pitch and helped others climb over, Hillsborough could have been in 1981 and involved Spurs fans.
It's a fact that is most sadly overlooked when they discuss those events of 1989. I was there, and at the replay at the library. However I went luxurious and was in the upper tier and not really affected. Actually I was so young, 16, I did not see the danger. It was a event that was basically common those days, getting crushed in the crowd. Sadly, I saw it as a bit of a laugh some were on the touchline behind the goal. I wished I was there too.
It may be worth trying to track down someone who was in the lower tier and experienced that. I think there is a geezer on you tube who posted a video. Could get in touch with him.

It's tragic that nothing was learnt from those events and a carbon copy was to happen again. However, the political climate was different then with Thatchers attack on football and the gates were not opened.

Thanks.
51dMa%2BAn-nL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

:adegrin:

Thanks.
There is a guy called Morris Keston who has been a spurs fan for over 80yrs. He wrote a book called Superfan. Might be worth trying to get in contact with him. He is on Twitter

Back
Top Bottom