S1E04 - Sweeper Keeper

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
The Extra Inch welcomes The Independent's Jack Pitt-Brooke as well as podcast regular, Nathan (TTTactics) as we discuss the en vogue Premier League tactics, Pochettino's flexibility, sweeper keepers and short passing from the back, the use of technology in football, before leaving you with some Further Reading.

Windy, Bardi and Nathan - Greetings from downunder, well done again, perhaps too well done as you were meant to put me to sleep. 11.30 pm in Newcastle, New South Wales. We have a 2.15am KO in Oz for the FA Cup and I've been been trying to get some sleep prior heading down to the Club for a meet up with other Newcastle Ozspurs for the match. Shocking KO time for us so will only a small bunch (6-10) live this morning, everywhere we go.

Anyways just wanted to pass back some feedback -
* Like you chaps I picked up JPB on Twitter a few months ago via seeing him being sympathetic (nice touch windy) to Spurs on BT Sports we get via Optus.
* Thought this yr like you mentioned that Poch has moved to adapting format consistent with his best 11 players and I agree with that given we just lack a bit of squad depth, hopefully we can add 2-3 first team quality to our squad this UK summer. As we generally dominate teams playing the best eleven allows the freedom to have modified periods of structure. Our squad depth ultimately our weakness when we need to rotate through the Cup and League commitments.
* Nice call Nathan on the key passes info, interesting and important to seperate the likes of Barkley. Eriksen hit a purple patch since start dec thankfully and yes we lucky he has been injury free. The Pritch was meant to be his backup but you know more than me about why he did not buy the Poch way (how must he feel choosing Norwich over Brighton). Next yr will be to early for Edwards but I wonder if Winks could be Poch coached to be the Eriksen backup. I can recall in the Youth (and sad about Ugo - RIP) Ugo gave Winks wraps in his capacity for goals and learning. I get what JPB and Nathan said about Barkley not having the capacity to grow and Everton wanting too much for him - best spend elsewhere. Winks a bit like Mason both used and could be used for that area, Winksie I saw this yr very good tight places, nice turns, good speed, short passing and nice vision, hits a ball sweet - reckon both Poch and HW will want it. Credit Ugo for Mason, Winks, Josh etc. we will miss him, really liked him.
* The N'Jie, N'Koudou thing in many ways a legacy of us at the time just not having the financials to pickup more proven qual players, we should (yeah stadium) have greater financials going fwd. I think you tried to get to it, throw in also a Levy/Poch strategy of coaching the raw and cheap, throw in our scouting player ID model now changed again. Would rather less number purchases at high value than our recent history. But yeah I'd throw our money into Saha as the Mane (lite) player, at least he matches most of the requirements.
* One for Bardi, about the Lloris passing gap. what's you thoughts on Pau Lopez ? I read recently Lopez had a series of cracker reaction saves in the U23's is he also a sweeper keeper? I reckon from coming from Poch Espanyol that he has the makings of next yrs number 2 keeper spot.
* on the Dembele backup we have tried with McCarthy last yr ? Perhaps his interchange, eventual replacement is not UK yet, we will definitely get someone but he has to already be a starting player (German ?) much like Wanyama was as an interchange for Dier.
* Me like it seems others really liked or perhaps wants Wimmer to excel. I guess that's what separates Poch from fans, if they can't match what expected (Poch) all the fan wanting won't make them better. Shame as he seems to get what Tottenham club is about.

Ok thanks again love your stuff, now 12.30am so time to get Spurs shirt, scarf and head to the club.
COYS, that's COYS for come on you Spurs

Back
Top Bottom