32 Team FIFA Club World Cup coming to USA in 2025

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have complicated feelings about the CWC as a concept, but the proliferation of more and more and more and more games and tournaments in the name of immediate juicing of revenues is unsustainable and bad.

USA now hosting Copa America in 2024, this in 2025 and the World Cup in 2026. It's too much.

I have complicated feelings about the CWC as a concept, but the proliferation of more and more and more and more games and tournaments in the name of immediate juicing of revenues is unsustainable and bad.

USA now hosting Copa America in 2024, this in 2025 and the World Cup in 2026. It's too much.
Selfishly for the growth of the game in the US, sounds great to me. The game is already pretty much fucked anyway, not shedding tears over FIFA getting in on the act at the club level. If we're allowing countries to own clubs there's no point wringing hands over anything.

It’s an absolutely pointless tournament when we know that the Champions League settles the debate on ‘best club team’ in world football. It’s the chance for FIFA committee members to take more earners though. I suspect that backing this useless tournament was the price that UEFA had to pay for FIFA support against the ESL. There probably isn’t an organization on the planet I hate more than FIFA.

The MLS perspective here is kind of twofold.

1. The opportunity to play competitive games against Europe's (and the rest of the world's really, particularly South America) best clubs is a rare and exciting opportunity and having it be a regular competition makes it a measuring stick that will really engage fans.

HOWEVER

2. The Premier League and Champions League are competitors to MLS for American soccer viewership and youth talent. UEFA means to colonize the world with the elite of the European game, that is their financial master strategy, and one that is incompatible with MLS achieving big time status in the global game. Hosting this tournament in the US is a means to that end.

It's a global scramble for soccer revenue by all parties amid the disintegration of the traditional TV model. That's the big picture all of this takes place against.

Would you bet against a Saudi team winning the first edition?
unfortunate-timing-but-congrats-to-our-former-boss-nuno-v0-6pkr5qx0h7fa1.jpg

"FIFA said in March the basic qualification path for clubs was to win a continental championship in any of the four years from 2021 to 2024 in the five main confederations: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and South America."

So, West Ham have qualified.

This tournament is a load of bollocks. How many REAL fans are asking for this?!

More games equals a greater chance of player burnout BUT even more money for the already super rich .

Within 20 years will there even be a professional pyramid in English football?

And the US as hosts?! FFS, I wish them and the Arab countries would stay the fuck away from 'soccer'. These cunts are ruining our sport.

This tournament is a load of bollocks. How many REAL fans are asking for this?!

More games equals a greater chance of player burnout BUT even more money for the already super rich .

Within 20 years will there even be a professional pyramid in English football?

And the US as hosts?! FFS, I wish them and the Arab countries would stay the fuck away from 'soccer'. These cunts are ruining our sport.
The British angst over the word soccer is fucking hilarious. Truly the height of irony.

Back
Top Bottom