3-4-3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally prefer the 3412 formation, we look better in attack although since the City game when Pep did us over a bit there has been a reluctance to use it.

For me we have the players to play 3412 more than 4231 because 4231 requires you main strength to be the 3 behind the striker and our main strength when all are fit is our wing (Walker/Rose), our defence and I feel Eriksen looks more free For some reason when we play this.

I get why poch plays 4231 as it's his ideal but I don't feel we have good enough AM's for it, if we had a Sanchez, a Hazard, a De Bruyne ability player then yes but we don't and 3412 plays more to our squad strengthens IMO.

Personally prefer the 3412 formation, we look better in attack although since the City game when Pep did us over a bit there has been a reluctance to use it.

For me we have the players to play 3412 more than 4231 because 4231 requires you main strength to be the 3 behind the striker and our main strength when all are fit is our wing (Walker/Rose), our defence and I feel Eriksen looks more free For some reason when we play this.

I get why poch plays 4231 as it's his ideal but I don't feel we have good enough AM's for it, if we had a Sanchez, a Hazard, a De Bruyne ability player then yes but we don't and 3412 plays more to our squad strengthens IMO.
Agree although i do think the 4-2-3-1 works very well when we have lamela fit, were still yet to field our first 11 that was doing so well last year at all this season due to injuries etc. I still believe with everyone fit last seasons main 11 is the way to go.

Agree although i do think the 4-2-3-1 works very well when we have lamela fit, were still yet to field our first 11 that was doing so well last year at all this season due to injuries etc. I still believe with everyone fit last seasons main 11 is the way to go.

That's never happening ever again!

Time to get used to it!

I think the Fulham game (and most games last season) shows that its not quite the time to write off our normal formation just yet. Our problems stem from lack of pressing.

Whether tactical or due to injuries I dont know, but if we are equally lethargic with 3 at the back, we will play equally shit.

Both systems have a place in this team, but we should press no matter which we go with.

I think we have to admit that whilst sometimes, players are asked to fit into a formation, sometimes a certain formation only works with certain players.
When we have Rose & Walker fit, then the '3 at the back' (Jan, Tobes & Dier/Wimmer) works much better because they know Walker & Rose have the nous and the ability to play further forward, whilst still ebing aware of their defensive duties.
With Tripper (who I think can fit the system) and Davies (who I think struggles with it) not to mention us having missed Jan r=in recent weeks, I think we were better suited to a more traditional '4 at the back', where everyone knew the system, and more importantly, their place within it.

Now we have Jan & Tobes back, that puts two of the building blocks back in place... then, fingers crossed, if Rose comes back soon, we can revert to what was working so spectacularly for us in the middle of the season.

The thing that worries me about 3 at the back is that our 2 quickest players Walker & Rose are further forward. Playing a high line against a fast striker without their recovery speed is a worry. I suggested on the Gent thread that as Trippier played well Sunday that he should play wing back ahead of Walker in the back 3. Walker's speed is better than Dier's in that position.
It was mentioned that Fulham have a small ground and that may be a plus point with our struggles at Wembley a large ground.

The thing that worries me about 3 at the back is that our 2 quickest players Walker & Rose are further forward. Playing a high line against a fast striker without their recovery speed is a worry. I suggested on the Gent thread that as Trippier played well Sunday that he should play wing back ahead of Walker in the back 3. Walker's speed is better than Dier's in that position.
It was mentioned that Fulham have a small ground and that may be a plus point with our struggles at Wembley a large ground.
Are you suggesting Trippier in Walker's spot and Walker in Dier's spot? Or just dropping Walker entirely? Either way....

:deledoubt:

Are you suggesting Trippier in Walker's spot and Walker in Dier's spot? Or just dropping Walker entirely? Either way....

:deledoubt:
I suggest
Walker Alderweireld Vertonghan
Trippier Dier Dembele Davies
Walker playing the right sided defender. I fear with Dier there we get caught out if someone fast attacks there as Walker is too far up the field. Also Trippier played well Sunday and deserves another game.

I suggest
Walker Alderweireld Vertonghan
Trippier Dier Dembele Davies
Walker playing the right sided defender. I fear with Dier there we get caught out if someone fast attacks there as Walker is too far up the field. Also Trippier played well Sunday and deserves another game.
What do you think is funny? Walker playing in defence or something else?

What do you think is funny? Walker playing in defence or something else?
Walker is probably the best right back in the league, but you want him to play in the back 3? And why break up the Wanyama-Dembele pairing that's been working so well? I could maybe understand using Walker there if there were multiple injuries (if Alderweireld and Dier were both out, and Poch didn't trust CCV), but when everyone is healthy? I just don't see the point.

The regular 3-4-3 poch has been using when everyone is healthy (dier/toby/jan, wanyama/dembele, eriksen/kane/dele, and of course lloris in goal), is the best team in the league. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

When teams sit back:

Lloris
Dier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen
Walker - Winks - Dembele - Rose
Alli - Eriksen
Kane
When teams come at us:

Lloris
Dier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen
Walker - Wanyama - Dembele - Rose
Alli - Eriksen
Kane

I mean I'd even be tempted to give Trippier game time over Walker against those teams that like to sit back. Lett Winks spread play and let Trippier get an accurate quick cross into the box to cause problems for those teams. No need to play Wanyama in that instance, especially when Dembele and Winks both contribute defensively with a back three behind them too.

Walker is probably the best right back in the league, but you want him to play in the back 3? And why break up the Wanyama-Dembele pairing that's been working so well? I could maybe understand using Walker there if there were multiple injuries (if Alderweireld and Dier were both out, and Poch didn't trust CCV), but when everyone is healthy? I just don't see the point.

The regular 3-4-3 poch has been using when everyone is healthy (dier/toby/jan, wanyama/dembele, eriksen/kane/dele, and of course lloris in goal), is the best team in the league. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I was thinking about the Gent match. Walker and Dier were rested for Fulham and could play this and Stoke. However Wanyama needs a rest. We need a strong team but still need to rest a couple of players and Wanyama has not missed much. I cannot see that Walker could not adjust to playing the right side of a 3. Trippier is better at crosses and was involved in a couple of our goals on Sunday and would be unlucky to be dropped.
I win would revert to the usual team as above for the premier league matches.

Lloris
Dier Alderweireld Vertonghen
Walker Wanyama Dembele Rose
Eriksen Dele
Kane

This is our best formation/lineup but we are incapable of playing it if Rose or one of our CB's get injured. This has seemed to be the case all season long :klinsmann:

Back
Top Bottom