2016/17 Season Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DeeGee - thought this would be best as a standalone thread than in the Transfer Stuff.

The PL list isn't anything confirmed, so it shows Mason etc. because they are still our players. To clarify for all, I'll just paste in the general jist of the rules/limitations, as I would struggle to put it any simpler..

What are the rules around the 25 man squad?

Each Premier League team must register a maximum of 25 players over the age of 21 for that season’s first-team league games.

The full squad list must be submitted within 24 hours of the summer transfer window closing, which this year is on Wednesday 31 August.

The squad list can not be amended until the next transfer window opens on Sunday 1 January.

Clubs can use an unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

Of the 25 registered squad players, no more than 17 can be designated as “foreign” and at least eight must be “homegrown".

A team can submit less than 25 names - Chelsea’s included just 20 names last season -but the maximum of 17 foreigners still applies.

Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.

What counts as a 'Home Grown' player?

A homegrown player, as defined by the Premier League, is a player who:

(a) is 21 or older on January 1 of the year in which that season begins, and;
(b) spent 36 months between the ages of 16 and 21 with a team in the English league system.

This rule applies regardless of nationality so you do NOT have to be English/Welsh to be a home-grown player.

And you don’t have to be playing at the club that developed you via their own academy.

So for instance, in this calculation, Dani Ayala - who came through the Liverpool youth set up - counts as “homegrown” in the Boro squad.

What counts as an 'Under 21' player?

To qualify players have to be 21 or under on 1 January. For the 2016/17 season that means a player had to be born after January 2, 1994.

UPDATED - FINAL PREMIER LEAGUE '25 MAN' SQUAD

Homegrown / 'Foreign' / Under 21

GKs:
Lloris, Hugo
Lopez Sabata, Pau
Vorm, Michel

DFs:
Alderweireld, Toby Albertine
Davies, Benjamin Thomas
Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar

Rose, Daniel Lee
Trippier, Kieran John

Vertonghen, Jan
Walker, Kyle Andrew
Wimmer, Kevin
Carter-Vickers, Cameron
Walker-Peters, Kyle

MFs:
Carroll, Thomas James

Dembele, Mousa
Eriksen, Christian
Heung-Min, Son
Lamela, Erik
Sissoko, Moussa
Wanyama, Victor

Alli, Bamidele Jermaine (Dele)
Edwards, Marcus
Nkoudou Mbida, Georges-Kevin
Onomah, Joshua
Winks, Harry

FWDs:

Janssen, Vincent Petrus Anna Sebastiaan
Kane, Harry
Harrison, Shayon

I think that's about the jist of it - please correct me if I have any wrong, or have missed anyone out.

Summary

Over 21 and HG: 6 players
Over 21 and Fgn: 14 players
Under 21*: 8

*that we realistically would say are in the 'squad'

The benefits of our 'young' team, is that we only needed to use 20 of our 25 man 'registered' slots. We can also use any number of our "Under 21" players, beyond those listed about, which also comprises of:

Amos, Luke Ayodele
Austin, Brandon Anthony
Bennetts, Keanan Chidozie
Brown, Jaden
De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema
Duncan, Dylan
Eyoma, Timothy Joel
Freeman, Charlie
Georgiou, Anthony Michael
Glover, Thomas William
Goddard, Cy
Griffiths, Reo Revaldo
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron
Lesniak, Filip
Lock, Matthew Joseph
Loft, Ryan
Maghoma, Christian
Marsh, George Owen
Mcdermott, Thomas William
McGee, Luke Paul
Miller, William
Mukena, Joy-Richard
Muscatt, Joseph Luis
Oakley-Boothe, Tashan
Oduwa, Nathan
Ogilvie, Connor Stuart
Omolabi, Moroyin
Oteh, Aramide Jay
Owens, Charlie
Pritchard, Joe Cameron
Reynolds, Jamie Joe
Roles, Jack
Shashoua, Samuel
Sterling, Kazaiah
Stylianides, Zenon
Tanganga, Japhat Manzambi
Tracey, Shilow
Tsaroulla, Nicholas
Velasco, Juan Pablo Gonzales
Walkes, Anton
Whiteman, Alfie

Last edited:
DeeGee - thought this would be best as a standalone thread than in the Transfer Stuff.

The PL list isn't anything confirmed, so it shows Mason etc. because they are still our players. To clarify for all, I'll just paste in the general jist of the rules/limitations, as I would struggle to put it any simpler..

What are the rules around the 25 man squad?

Each Premier League team must register a maximum of 25 players over the age of 21 for that season’s first-team league games.

The full squad list must be submitted within 24 hours of the summer transfer window closing, which this year is on Wednesday 31 August.

The squad list can not be amended until the next transfer window opens on Sunday 1 January.

Clubs can use an unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

Of the 25 registered squad players, no more than 17 can be designated as “foreign” and at least eight must be “homegrown".

A team can submit less than 25 names - Chelsea’s included just 20 names last season -but the maximum of 17 foreigners still applies.

Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.

What counts as a 'Home Grown' player?

A homegrown player, as defined by the Premier League, is a player who:

(a) is 21 or older on January 1 of the year in which that season begins, and;
(b) spent 36 months between the ages of 16 and 21 with a team in the English league system.

This rule applies regardless of nationality so you do NOT have to be English/Welsh to be a home-grown player.

And you don’t have to be playing at the club that developed you via their own academy.

So for instance, in this calculation, Dani Ayala - who came through the Liverpool youth set up - counts as “homegrown” in the Boro squad.

What counts as an 'Under 21' player?

To qualify players have to be 21 or under on 1 January. For the 2016/17 season that means a player had to be born after January 2, 1994.

With that in mind, I think this is how our squad looks.
Homegrown / 'Foreign' / Under 21

GKs:
Lloris / Vorm / McGee

DFs:
Walker / Rose / Alderweireld / Vertonghen / Trippier / Davies / Wimmer / Carter-Vickers

MFs:
Son / Mason / Eriksen / Wanyama / Lamela / Dier* / Alli / Dembéle / Chadli / Carroll / Onomah / Winks

FWDs:

N'Jie / Kane / Janssen

Linked Players:
N'koudou / Pau Lopez

*I think Dier just slips into 'U21' rules, as he wasn't 22 until 15 Jan. Oh and the PL site says N'jie is a forward.

I think that's about the jist of it - please correct me if I have any wrong, or have missed anyone out.

Summary

Under 21:
7 players
Over 21 and HG: 7 players
Over 21 and Fgn: 12 players

That means, on my calcs, we could add 5 more over 21, non-HG players to our squad, even if we sign N'Koudou and Pau Lopez. Benefits of the yoofs, eh?

I've left players linked with moves in there, as there's no guarantee or confirmation they are leaving yet.
Thanks. However Dier is not U21 or HG and Janssen isn't under 21 either.
So we have a squad of 19 ( excluding Mason) of which 13 are foreign and 6 HG.
So, we could have a squad of 23 and still supplement it with the likes of Dele, Onomah, Winks, Edwards, Nkoudou and Carter Vickers.
If Mason goes then I feel we need another 2 players with PL or European experience. It would not be to the detriment of the youth players..
Unless Pochettino thinks they are good enough to play major roles in the PL/CL this season.

Thanks. However Dier is not U21 or HG and Janssen isn't under 21 either.

Just double checked - the wording threw me off so cocked that one up.

Thought it was if they were 21 or under on 1st Jan, but it's just "under 21".. corrected

Despite what PL or OS says N'Jie is no forward. He was shocking when he was played there last season. THis is all a bit depressing why do we leave it so late? And even worse if we do nothing and leave ourselves short. I understand the situation with the stadium but we are getting more and more money each season with TV and now Champions League and still amongst the lowest in net spend.

dont-panic.gif

Back
Top Bottom