18 Lessons Villas-Boas, His Team And The Fans Have To Take On Board

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very good article Raj, thanks. I agree with everything you say, the only thing I'm not sure on is "Danny Rose has become unexpendable". I think we need to invest in a quality left back as a priority. Rose is proving to be injury prone (as I believe he was last season on loan at Sunderland) and I'm not convinced he will make grade (a discussion for another thread anyway).

Great summary of where we are at as a team.

Some good points there - especially regarding us 'overachieving' at this point in time, as well as the tactical flexibility

Some people will always moan even if we won the league - they'll come and say we didn't win it with enough style or something along those lines - so I, for one would like to keep the positivity for now - there have been far too little signs of panic to be running for the life-jackets yet.

Last edited:
Gotta say, whilst the author's points may be valid.... 18 E-I-G-H-T-T-E-E-N of them is never gonna hold much sway!
Either we're good this season, or we're not....
An 18 point dissection of where we're going wrong is not gonna cut the mustard with fans who just want us to win with a bit of swagger.... Without worrying what Periodic Table we have to refer to, to obtain the correct formulaic hypothesis for success!

Finally read this through, and I'm glad I did. A very good read indeed.

Written brilliantly, particularly the part about Defoe. Was having a discussion argument with someone on Facebook yesterday, they were adamant Defoe should have started for England based on his form this season. When I said he is too selfish, he compared him to Shearer, Linekar & C Ronaldo. :defoe:

Needless to say I couldn't agree, and you have put the point across perfectly.

Some people will always moan even if we won the league - they'll come and say we didn't win it with enough style or something along those lines - so I, for one would like to keep the positivity for now - there have been far too little signs of panic to be running for the life-jackets yet.

Honestly, if we won every game 1-0 to win the league (which looked highly possible before the West Ham game) I THINK I could find it in my heart to forgive the club.... And I'm sure whilst the ghost of Bill Nic would be spinning like an extractor fan, even HE would concede that after 53+ years, beggars can't be choosers!!

Some of this is great, but if I can just briefly comment on the style (not the content), you veer a fair bit between factually-backed arguments and just stating views as if they were fact. For example, you don't actually really explain in any detail what Kaboul has shown since his return to the side that would suggest he will be a better first-teamer than Dawson, or indeed quantify with evidence why Dawson needs replacing. Similarly, in the section about Soldado, you use the phrase "he showed an instinct in and around the goal which had been missing in his game up until then" without using heatmaps, stats or anything of a similar nature to illustrate what exactly you mean. It all creates a slight tonal disjuncture between analysis (which is the better part of the piece) and anecdotal opinion-stating.

Just my thoughts at least- I'm not trying to dig you out or anything, just provide some (hopefully) constructive comments.

Back
Top Bottom