#01 - Fat Keepers Hell Mouth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Same problem here,
In Australia you get two types of football fans,
Fans that support their A-League club and may or may not support a club in Europe,
And then you get what the others that are known as 'Eurosnobs'
Eurosnobs are essentially the lot that only follow top uefa champions league clubs and have no interest in actually supporting their local club in their country because of crap like 'the A-League ratings on FIFA are so shit, it's a shit league, I'm not watching that crap'
Same situation in Lithuania, except you have the added twist that people support second national teams as well, since no one has any hopes for the Lithuanian national team. I have friends who have Holland/Germany/Italy gear and cheer for those sides as much as they would cheer for the Lithuanian team.

The A lyga here is very small time, and I've been bad about going to matches since I moved out of the centre of Vilnius (it would be just about an hour by bus for me to attend a Žalgiris match). But when I did go, I had fun, and I consider myself a supporter of sorts. But the atmosphere is also tainted by the ultras, who make little effort at hiding neo-Nazi insignia, and even regular fans will often make monkey chants at black players, etc. It's awful and demoralising.

Most Lithuanian fans have a club outside of Lithuania that they support, and they probably know more about it than their local club. But the choices are predictable; they're mostly all Champions League regulars from England, Germany, Spain, and Italy. Yet I've not met a single person whose first club is French. And though there are an obnoxiously large number of ManU and Liverpool fans, there are a handful of Spurs supporters, and even the boozer we typically go to is a secret QPR (!?) joint.

Back
Top Bottom