Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Erik Lamela when fit is very valuable to this side,
Could have done with some of his fight in the 2nd half yesterday, the trouble is he is just seems to be more injured then fit these days, added to the fact he isn’t homegrown and takes up a foreign place in the squad, he should be replaced and his wages put towards someone who can try and stay fit for the majority of the season, I know it sounds quite brutal but there is no room for sentiment if we want to be challenging at the top next season!

Erik Lamela when fit is very valuable to this side,
Could have done with some of his fight in the 2nd half yesterday, the trouble is he is just seems to be more injured then fit these days, added to the fact he isn’t homegrown and takes up a foreign place in the squad, he should be replaced and his wages put towards someone who can try and stay fit for the majority of the season, I know it sounds quite brutal but there is no room for sentiment if we want to be challenging at the top next season!
I agree with the first part, but 'sentiment' is what makes me care about the team. He's REALLY unlucky to have been injured so much and if he was a pussy like some players (*cough*) then he'd have had more games. I care about the players and want them to succeed. I didn't give two shits about any team until I learned the names (and character) of the 2007 squad. It was caring about them that made me care about the club. I don't mean to sound sappy, but I think that's where it starts and we shouldn't forget it just because we're a bigger club now. If he stays fit for all or most of next season, then we have the player we'd want, but without a season of integration.

The best version of Lamela has predominantly been seen against substandard opposition.

Really? Through ball for Eriksen at City away, through ball for Chadli away at Woolwich, scored vs Utd in the 3-0 at the Lane, goals/assists against Liverpool/Everton/Watford as well and that's just off the top of my head. Scored against Barca I think. Plenty of contributions against non-substandard opposition.

You have to consider at least there’s a silver lining to one of our players suffering an injury.

It’s lovely to see some of our “supporters” getting pleasure out of Lamela not being able to play or reach his potential. Truly gratifying.
Firstly, I sincerely doubt there's any supporters "getting pleasure" out of his injury issues.

And secondly, this rhetoric bandied about that injuries have stop him reaching his potential are just nonsense. Lamela has reached his ceiling as a Premier League footballer and then some. Do you not remember the absolute mess of a player he was under AVB and in Pochs first season? He has gotten to where he is and become the player he is through sheer hard work and being coached into the ground by Pochettino. He would be no better or worse that he is now whether he had injuries or not. Also this is the first season since he's been here that he's had niggly muscle injuries keeping him out for periods. Previously it was just one long term injury, so to say he's been "injury prone" during his time here is also a bit factually incorrect.

I agree with the first part, but 'sentiment' is what makes me care about the team. He's REALLY unlucky to have been injured so much and if he was a pussy like some players (*cough*) then he'd have had more games. I care about the players and want them to succeed. I didn't give two shits about any team until I learned the names (and character) of the 2007 squad. It was caring about them that made me care about the club. I don't mean to sound sappy, but I think that's where it starts and we shouldn't forget it just because we're a bigger club now. If he stays fit for all or most of next season, then we have the player we'd want, but without a season of integration.
I get where your coming from but we say “hopefully next season he will stay fit” every season ...... don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of Erik, but he needs to be replaced with someone who can at least play a couple of games a month!

I get where your coming from but we say “hopefully next season he will stay fit” every season ...... don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of Erik, but he needs to be replaced with someone who can at least play a couple of games a month!
Yeah, I'm crossing fingers, it's a big if. If he only plays 20% of next season, we really can't afford to hold on to hope much longer.

Figure this because this Lamela obsession is just perverse.

When we bought him and City got Sterling I suspect everybody would have thought we got the better deal.

Only the completely stupid would think that now.

Nice enough bloke it seems, puts in effort but offers next to nothing at this level.

Figure this because this Lamela obsession is just perverse.

When we bought him and City got Sterling I suspect everybody would have thought we got the better deal.

Only the completely stupid would think that now.

Nice enough bloke it seems, puts in effort but offers next to nothing at this level.

Sterling was at Liverpool for Lamela's first two years here. That's how long he's been here! He's blocking an overseas place in the squad like some old drunk blocking a hospital bed.

I heard Jamie O'Hara on the radio the other day saying how Kenny Jacket came to Wolves and told him he was no longer wanted, told him to stay out of the dressing room and not come to the training ground before 3 pm, when all the other players had gone. He stuck it out for a year then left by mutual consent, even though he had another 2 years left. This is what Poch needs to do with Lamela, Janssen and others.

Part of the enjoyment of being a football fan is seeing new players come in, it adds to the atmosphere in the ground. The club isn't a charity for injured and under performing footballers, Lamela must have had 20 plus million in wages while giving relatively little back - he needs to go now.

Part of the enjoyment of being a football fan is seeing new players come in

Cannot agree with this - I get much more enjoyment out of seeing the same player put in a shift and week in week out and help the team win matches, rather than a completely new team each year, where you know the players will move on and have no connection with the club.

Sadly Lamela is not able to put in a shift week in and week out.

If we're not going to get a full season out of him next year, we need to get an alternative in, because otherwise it is an added strain on all the other players. But I get no enjoyment just from seeing a signing announced.

Back
Top Bottom