Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just doesn't have a big enough impact for me. Seems people like his attitude more than his actual ability. Wouldn't particular miss him if we sold him in the summer. Still think he is far better suited to Spain or Italy where he was playing amazing.

I do like lamela and have always backed him but last night, like many other games this season he just frustrates.

Yes lots of energy and bite but no end product, little vision and poor passing ability.

Worrying sign that we have no money at all of the likes of Lamela gets signed to a 4 year deal , he needs moving on but nobody is gonna pick him up for 100k a week so we are stuck with him and can't afford to keep him.and bring in someone good.

Complete dross of a player. What poch sees in him I'll never know. Complete headless chicken

I'm one of his biggest critics and have no idea why he's still here.

However last night he was no better, or worse, than the rest of the team (with maybe the exception of Sanchez).

It shows our level of desperation when we greet his return to the starting line-up as some some kind of 'new beginning'. Him and Lucas (who I am also beginning to have serious doubts) seem to get picked to start on the basis of "who is least worst" out of the two of them in their last performance.

The same could be said about the Aurier/Trippier situation.

No doubt the Lamela fan club (who worship the ground he treads on) will be out in force with their 'Disagree' block vote.

Last summer, no signings, no competition etc etc. All been said before.

Lamela is a very polarizing player, it seems. I thought he was one of the better players tonight out there tonight. Only player who looked willing to creating anyway tonight.

He seems to be the bare minimum guy.

Lamela is a very polarizing player, it seems. I thought he was one of the better players tonight out there tonight. Only player who looked willing to creating anyway tonight.

He seems to be the bare minimum guy.
Agree. People hate on him too much. He wasn't great, but he needed better support. And he was first one to be replaced, another mistake by Poch.

I think it's best for both us and Erik if we moved him on in the summer and re-invest the funds into young talent

He's reached his ceiling with us and will never been more than an impact player with somewhat limited technical skillet. Sad it never worked out but he can still salvage his career in Spain or Italy

He was.

Along with being one of the few to actually be up for it. As usual.

But the Gammon are blinded by the Teddy bear ham over their eyes.

Agree. People hate on him too much. He wasn't great, but he needed better support. And he was first one to be replaced, another mistake by Poch.

He played well by his standards but those standards are pretty low. Has he ever really had a great game? At PL or CL level? I don't recall one personally. 15 minutes against West Ham was the closest he came. 6 years here and he's never made 6 great crosses in open play, 6 great shots from outside the area or 6 great passes more than 6 yards in length.

I hope Poch has learnt a lesson - don't dish out contracts based on a couple of goals in an end of season game. Gonna be very difficult to get rid of him, hopefully Dembele can talk him up to the Chinese. With good editing they might not notice most of his highlight vidoes are made up mostly of cup games against lower league opposition.

He played well by his standards but those standards are pretty low. Has he ever really had a great game? At PL or CL level? I don't recall one personally. 15 minutes against West Ham was the closest he came. 6 years here and he's never made 6 great crosses in open play, 6 great shots from outside the area or 6 great passes more than 6 yards in length.

I hope Poch has learnt a lesson - don't dish out contracts based on a couple of goals in an end of season game. Gonna be very difficult to get rid of him, hopefully Dembele can talk him up to the Chinese. With good editing they might not notice most of his highlight vidoes are made up mostly of cup games against lower league opposition.

Genuine question, who's your replacement for him with us operating on a tight budget? Edwards isn't ready yet so unless we had signifant funds surely it's harder to replace him than keep him as sufficient backup right?

Genuine question, who's your replacement for him with us operating on a tight budget? Edwards isn't ready yet so unless we had signifant funds surely it's harder to replace him than keep him as sufficient backup right?

Edwards will outscore Lamela if he played for us the next six seasons. I don't personally see replacing Lamela as being particularly difficult. Caught a glimpse of Real Betis in the Europa the other week and they had a young left footed Mexican called Lainez who looked a good prospect and who wouldn't cost the Earth. Sessegnon, who I see as a lb primarily, would also be an option further forward. There's players out there.

Edwards will outscore Lamela if he played for us the next six seasons. I don't personally see replacing Lamela as being particularly difficult. Caught a glimpse of Real Betis in the Europa the other week and they had a young left footed Mexican called Lainez who looked a good prospect and who wouldn't cost the Earth. Sessegnon, who I see as a lb primarily, would also be an option further forward. There's players out there.

I agree there are players out there, there always is. Do you not see other areas needing more attention than this one with us having to be a little artful in the market though? I know you're not a fan of his but I don't see it as a critical position compared to others we will probably be looking at come the summer

In my view we already have his replacement - Lucas (who isn't covering himself in glory). We don't need both in the squad as well as Son - they're all too similar a player and can be used in the team almost interchangeably. They all are quick and nimble, run at the opposition, take players on and commit them. You don't need three of these players in a squad.

Far better to jettison Lamela (retain Lucas for another season as backup for Son) and look for an additional creative midfielder as backup to our Dembele and Eriksen replacements.

As for who the replacement is - no idea. That's the job of our scouting department and the Academy.

I agree there are players out there, there always is. Do you not see other areas needing more attention than this one with us having to be a little artful in the market though? I know you're not a fan of his but I don't see it as a critical position compared to others we will probably be looking at come the summer

There needs to be 4 or 5 signings. As ever, depends on who goes, how much we get and who's available. Might be able to pick up bargains in some areas and splash out in others.

Worrying sign that we have no money at all of the likes of Lamela gets signed to a 4 year deal , he needs moving on but nobody is gonna pick him up for 100k a week so we are stuck with him and can't afford to keep him.and bring in someone good.

By all means throw some of our B-team wages at me for context, but I'd suggest your connecting this issue to Lamela per say is somewhat 'enthused'. Much the same, it does present a quandary in terms of short term policy (see stadium for context).

Levy is commonly criticised for penny pinching. Calls of 'break the wage ceiling or they'll leave/won't sign' were most common. In the last 18 month's he's locked 80% of the squad down(***) - as per his end of the deal with Poch (i.e. Get us into the stadium with a top 4 team), yet many would still accuse us not paying enough when it suits them. Similarly, we still get compared to other teams below us is in a critical manner and accused of not being prepared to pay going rate.

I'm not attributing any particular aspect of that to yourself, but do we honestly add 'we pay too much' to the the list of crimes that get trumped up against DL? I'd hope we can at least accept that there's at least some degree of wiggle-room for him to operate within and that some deals won't come with a pang of regret at a later date (Wanyama's last pay-bump, anyone?).

(***Personally, that aspect of our business was - and is - the 'comfort' that I was seeking; ahead of who we did or didn't stand to bring in ever since the stadium build kicked into full gear. That and for us to arrive in NWHL without getting cherry-picked whilst fees and wages proceeded to go insane a few years ago. Dare I suggest we compare to the mess the scum have made with their contracts in recent years? ....Didn't they have trash like Jenkinson and Chambers on something mental 100kpw+ like 4-5 years ago?!?!?! 350kpw for Ozil? Ramsey & Sanchez walk..... Further, look around the mid-table; there's some absolutely scandalous money being thrown around on pure shite these days!)

If your concern here is wasting wage budget, then regardless of how 'useless' you or I believe EL is and or in turn how over-paid you believe he is, Poch evidently likes and plays him (often from the bench, granted). Ergo those that clock up less minutes than him should be of more immediate concern:

Dembele (gone)
Wanyama
Jansen
GKN
Onomah
Toby (???)
Eriksen (???)(*)

Come the summer, that's a lot of outs, before any tinkering goes on. T-h-e-n you've got the speculative list of names we also hear banded about:

Trippier
Aurier
KWP
Rose
Davies
Llorente(*)
Lamela(*)
Lucas(*)
Sissoko
Dier
LLoris(*)

(*marks presumed 100kpw+ bracket)

I suspect Lamela will still be here in the summer... On the basis that Poch wants him too.

A lot of people might disagree with this.
But I feel that lamela is one of the few players in the squad who has a strong winners mentality.
If only his early season form lasted.

Back
Top Bottom