Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

by the levels of delusion, its clear...you are a gooner

By levels of ambition it's clear you're a Spammer. Salah, Sane, Mharez and Malcom are players directly comparable with Lamela and they are levels above him and the type of player we need to improve us.

An FA Cup goal against a half arsed Swansea isn't going to change mind about him. He's a squad player but not the quality we need to close the gap to City.

Lamela is a winner. Team player.
When Trippier was injured Lamela was the only player looking over his shoulder at Trippier from Lucas, Eriksen, Son, Dier and Sissoko whilst jogging back into position as Swansea had the ball and were passing it out from the back.
When he realisedd he wasn’t getting up he sprinted back to cover for him and get on Clucas.

By levels of ambition it's clear you're a Spammer. Salah, Sane, Mharez and Malcom are players directly comparable with Lamela and they are levels above him and the type of player we need to improve us.

An FA Cup goal against a half arsed Swansea isn't going to change mind about him. He's a squad player but not the quality we need to close the gap to City.

He's only recently back from injury, so we don't really know what his top level is. He just turned 26 this month. His passing and his pressing, his effort, control and technical ability, are all top notch. The question is whether he can reach the same heights as the other players you mention which means being more dominant, clinical, scoring more goals. If he can't then I agree that we may benefit from upgrading but it's hard to get the level of player you're listing, especially if they aren't going to start each week, which of course Lamela often doesn't.

z4Ci0f.gif

do you even watch the games?

He's only recently back from injury, so we don't really know what his top level is. He just turned 26 this month. His passing and his pressing, his effort, control and technical ability, are all top notch. The question is whether he can reach the same heights as the other players you mention which means being more dominant, clinical, scoring more goals. If he can't then I agree that we may benefit from upgrading but it's hard to get the level of player you're listing, especially if they aren't going to start each week, which of course Lamela often doesn't.

There's limited room for improvement at his age. He's not going to suddenly get any faster. His short passing is good but his long passing isn't. One of his biggest problems is his poor centre of gravity. He's top heavy or something, the amount of times he falls backwards when shooting is ridiculous. And it inhibits his ability to change direction quickly.

It's been the same for 5 years. We're perpetually waiting for a player to live up to his supposed potential. I just don't think the potential has ever been there.

Malcom would be an upgrade and Lamela himself is good enough to be the main man somewhere else, but at best he's a back up to Dele or Eriksen if he stays here.

Long passing is not an important attribute for an attacking midfielder. fyi.

A deep lying playmaker, yes. Toby Alderweireld yes. A player who's focus is the final 3rd of the pitch? Long passes is a nothing criticism. Like saying Rose has shit finishing. Something he rarely utilises.

Trying to find angles to attack our players is not a good look.

Lamela and Eriksen off of Kane is something I’d like to see. Eriksen and Lamela are both so good at finding/creating space. Plus the pick out passes no one sees and take on players with no fear.

Lamela’s form since injury has been incredible. In my eyes he’s as underrated as Son by rival fans.

Long passing is not an important attribute for an attacking midfielder. fyi.

A deep lying playmaker, yes. Toby Alderweireld yes. A player who's focus is the final 3rd of the pitch? Long passes is a nothing criticism. Like saying Rose has shit finishing. Something he rarely utilises.

Trying to find angles to attack our players is not a good look.

But Eriksen, one of the players he competes with for a place, has got that in his locker, plus a better shooting ability, which makes him more effective in different areas of the pitch and is the reason why Eriksen has always been ahead of him. Dele has and will always be ahead of him because of the goals he scores, and he matches or betters him for assists. Son has gone to a different level, and Lamela will never match his goals, his pace, ability to take on people etc.

He may start against Chelsea because of Kane's injury but it will be back to the subs bench after that. I'm told I'm wrong about everything, though I said he wouldn't start against Huddersfield, Juve or Bournemouth and he didn't, because he didn't perform against Palace and hasn't performed in any of the 3 (?) PL games he's started. Yet some people want him back ahead of Dele or Son on the back of an FA Cup game against a team who didn't really turn up.

But Eriksen, one of the players he competes with for a place, has got that in his locker, plus a better shooting ability, which makes him more effective in different areas of the pitch and is the reason why Eriksen has always been ahead of him. Dele has and will always be ahead of him because of the goals he scores, and he matches or betters him for assists. Son has gone to a different level, and Lamela will never match his goals, his pace, ability to take on people etc.

He may start against Chelsea because of Kane's injury but it will be back to the subs bench after that. I'm told I'm wrong about everything, though I said he wouldn't start against Huddersfield, Juve or Bournemouth and he didn't, because he didn't perform against Palace and hasn't performed in any of the 3 (?) PL games he's started. Yet some people want him back ahead of Dele or Son on the back of an FA Cup game against a team who didn't really turn up.

With the exception of Eriksen, we have attacking positions that need competition and rotation. Son, Dele, Lamela, and Lucas Moura all offer different things, and all possess strengths that the others don’t.

Lamela is a valuable asset to have. Son and Dele are both capable of being anonymous in games. Lamela is rarely anonymous (often making his presence felt through his defensive qualities at the very least), but offers less goals and assists than the former two. Moura is, in my opinion, a brilliant signing that offers guile, goals, and assists, but he’s obviously not had time to show his worth.

Lamela is a great option to have as part of our attacking squad. If we had a Salah-type option it would mean relegating one of Son or Dele to the bench indefinitely anyway. As a collective I think they are more valuable to us than one outstanding player, and it adds depth and competition.

Eriksen is a guaranteed starter, but the other attacking midfielder positions are up for grabs thanks to the qualities of Lamela and Moura, and surely that’s a good thing?

There's limited room for improvement at his age. He's not going to suddenly get any faster. His short passing is good but his long passing isn't. One of his biggest problems is his poor centre of gravity. He's top heavy or something, the amount of times he falls backwards when shooting is ridiculous. And it inhibits his ability to change direction quickly.

It's been the same for 5 years. We're perpetually waiting for a player to live up to his supposed potential. I just don't think the potential has ever been there.

Malcom would be an upgrade and Lamela himself is good enough to be the main man somewhere else, but at best he's a back up to Dele or Eriksen if he stays here.
5 years since signed....how many months actual playing I wonder?

at best he's a back up to Dele or Eriksen if he stays here
If he stays! I'm disappointed in you NW1. You assured us he was leaving, now you've even relented on that. Now you're stuck on he won't be a regular starter. What happens if he becomes a regular? You move the goalposts to 'he will never score as many as Kane'. What a bizarre 'fan' you are

With the exception of Eriksen, we have attacking positions that need competition and rotation. Son, Dele, Lamela, and Lucas Moura all offer different things, and all possess strengths that the others don’t.

Lamela is a valuable asset to have. Son and Dele are both capable of being anonymous in games. Lamela is rarely anonymous (often making his presence felt through his defensive qualities at the very least), but offers less goals and assists than the former two. Moura is, in my opinion, a brilliant signing that offers guile, goals, and assists, but he’s obviously not had time to show his worth.

Lamela is a great option to have as part of our attacking squad. If we had a Salah-type option it would mean relegating one of Son or Dele to the bench indefinitely anyway. As a collective I think they are more valuable to us than one outstanding player, and it adds depth and competition.

Eriksen is a guaranteed starter, but the other attacking midfielder positions are up for grabs thanks to the qualities of Lamela and Moura, and surely that’s a good thing?

The notion that Lamela is competiting for a place with Dele is ludicrous. Dele is one of Poch's lynchpins who the team is based around. He's been a starter since he came here, despite still being a teenager when he arrived. Poch described him as the best young player in the world recently and will probably get his umpteenth new contract from Poch while Lamela is still waiting for his first. You could say he was in competition with Son but it one he's lost. I expect Son to get new contract soon. The club needs a marquee signing to justify the high season ticket prices in the first season in the new stadium and someone has to make way. I think that player is probably Lamela.

Back
Top Bottom