Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

also remember you used to get massive abuse for your assessment on him.
Correctly.

When fit, he has been an excellent player. That's just as much a fact as his abysmal injury history. Lamela is going to be one of those players who, but for unlucky genetics would have been a massive star. As it is, maybe someone should nudge him towards coaching.

Pretty talented player but I think playing in the highest level is over for him, probably off to Italy or back to Argentina. It's a shame as he could have been a hell of a player.

He has sell-on value now and that is 100% what should happen in my opinion.

How long do you give a player who came with such high hopes placed on him?

Time to say goodbye it really is.

I mean name 3 games where he has us the winning Prem goal in the last 2 years?

also remember you used to get massive abuse for your assessment on him.

He's never had the quality of Son, Eriksen or Dele. Just look at the goal Eriksen scored the other day with his weaker left foot. Lamela can't even do this his left, even though it's his strong foot. The assists he's got are mostly 5 yard passes and the goals mostly from 5 yards. Lamela's qualities were always primarily work rate, tenacity and having a bit on edge. The moment he started getting fitness issues, he loses a lot of those and becomes to all intents and purposes useless.

Poor decision by Poch to give him a new contract and one of the chinks in his armour - he lacks the ruthlessness to move established players on.

Correctly.

When fit, he has been an excellent player. That's just as much a fact as his abysmal injury history. Lamela is going to be one of those players who, but for unlucky genetics would have been a massive star. As it is, maybe someone should nudge him towards coaching.

I don't agree with that at all maybe in Italy but he never would have been that good in the PL

He's never had the quality of Son, Eriksen or Dele. Just look at the goal Eriksen scored the other day with his weaker left foot. Lamela can't even do this his left, even though it's his strong foot. The assists he's got are mostly 5 yard passes and the goals mostly from 5 yards. Lamela's qualities were always primarily work rate, tenacity and having a bit on edge. The moment he started getting fitness issues, he loses a lot of those and becomes to all intents and purposes useless.

Poor decision by Poch to give him a new contract and one of the chinks in his armour - he lacks the ruthlessness to move established players on.

He'll be chalked up as a what could of been hero now mate, they will never admit they were wrong

Last edited:
I don't agree with that at all maybe in Italy but he never would have been that good in the PL
Scoreboard says he was.

On a per90 basis, his end product was quite good. He wasn't a goal scorer very often, but he was a spectacularly good creative player (not Eriksen or David Silva, but better than just about anyone else), and at the same time extremely good defensively.

Erik Lamela was that good in the PL. His Serie A numbers reflected the fact that league was a step below.

Really strange we gave him a new contract if money is that tight & you know lamela is injury prone. Someone will give Andy Carroll & daniel sturridge a contract & then be surprised when they get injured.

Scoreboard says he was.

On a per90 basis, his end product was quite good. He wasn't a goal scorer very often, but he was a spectacularly good creative player (not Eriksen or David Silva, but better than just about anyone else), and at the same time extremely good defensively.

Erik Lamela was that good in the PL. His Serie A numbers reflected the fact that league was a step below.

To put into context my post the person I responded to said Lamela would have been a massive star , that's a fairly vague term I suppose but it's something I'd reserve for special players to have graced the PL , Eric Lamela doesn't come close to being a massive star if he'd played every single premier league game since he's been in England when I apply my definition of a massive star.

To put into context my post the person I responded to said Lamela would have been a massive star , that's a fairly vague term I suppose but it's something I'd reserve for special players to have graced the PL , Eric Lamela doesn't come close to being a massive star if he'd played every single premier league game since he's been in England when I apply my definition of a massive star.
That person was me. And he would have been. He wasn't going to be the player everyone thought he was at Roma. He was one of the most outstanding combinations of creative passing and shithousery ever seen in the PL. And not every massive star is a striker, fans do appreciate players for different things. Ngolo Kante is a massive star, but he's not a goal scorer. Lamela would have been one.

That person was me. And he would have been. He wasn't going to be the player everyone thought he was at Roma. He was one of the most outstanding combinations of creative passing and shithousery ever seen in the PL. And not every massive star is a striker, fans do appreciate players for different things. Ngolo Kante is a massive star, but he's not a goal scorer. Lamela would have been one.

I never said anything about strikers , Kante is on another level entirely to Lamela imo , you act as if Lamela could have been a bigger star than Eden Hazard (a genuine massive star) if he was fit !

This is just not true. Show me a pass by Lamela comparable with Eriksen's for Son in the league game away at City. That was outstanding, and he does it all the time. As does a player like Pogba. Lamela's passes are generally like Son's assist for Moura Vs Huddersfield. A five yard pass into space that most competent players could do. That's why a lot of his assists tend to come late on in games we're already leading and a lot of space has opened up.

I never said anything about strikers , Kante is on another level entirely to Lamela imo , you act as if Lamela could have been a bigger star than Eden Hazard (a genuine massive star) if he was fit !

Whether or not he would have been deemed a 'star' means little to me (also see Sonny atm eg.), but aren't you missing the point of the 'shame; if he wasn't injured so much'-sentiment behind the initial comments?

He's had some cracking games for us. Why wouldn't we have seen them more frequently given less injurys and more gametime during what should have been the pre-prime phase of his development....?

Sure your base opinion of him is lower, but no-one's suggesting he IS as good as Hazard (nor Kante) as stands...

Aggressive, hardworking technical player... Sounds like an EPL (and Poch!) fit to me; at the very least he may have suprised his doubters akin to how Sissoko has this year....

Trust me, if he is genuinely fucked, it's all the more of a bitter pill to swallow if you did actually rate him to begin with.

Whether or not he would have been deemed a 'star' means little to me (also see Sonny atm eg.), but aren't you missing the point of the 'shame; if he wasn't injured so much'-sentiment behind the initial comments?

He's had some cracking games for us. Why wouldn't we have seen them more frequently given less injurys and more gametime during what should have been the pre-prime phase of his development....?

Sure your base opinion of him is lower, but no-one's suggesting he IS as good as Hazard (nor Kante) as stands...

Aggressive, hardworking technical player... Sounds like an EPL (and Poch!) fit to me; at the very least he may have suprised his doubters akin to how Sissoko has this year....

Trust me, if he is genuinely fucked, it's all the more of a bitter pill to swallow if you did actually rate him to begin with.

Someone has suggested just that mate

This is just not true. Show me a pass by Lamela comparable with Eriksen's for Son in the league game away at City. That was outstanding, and he does it all the time. As does a player like Pogba. Lamela's passes are generally like Son's assist for Moura Vs Huddersfield. A five yard pass into space that most competent players could do. That's why a lot of his assists tend to come late on in games we're already leading and a lot of space has opened up.
The no look throughball to Kane vs Forest. And if you want to claim all his passes were short, late game jobs, prove it. Show me all of them.

Back
Top Bottom