Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No idea what you're on about. I'd also argue that their prime reason is to score as well.

Are you seriously suggesting than an AM is there 'not to score'

Did Modric or Dembele score a lot of goals for us? No. Did they have an impact? Yup.

To believe that a substitute is for scoring or just defending is binary at best.

How about a fresh midfielder who will help retain/recycle possession, or break up the opposition possession before it becomes dangerous?

An AM is not always a goal scorer, pressing is way higher now than ever before and Lamela has proved to be useful in this role. I'm not saying he's perfect but you're shaping narratives to fit your argument, it's not working.

No idea what you're on about. I'd also argue that their prime reason is to score as well.

Are you seriously suggesting that an AM is there 'not to score'
I'll just ignore that thing you just said about defenders.

No, I didn't say they aren't there not to score. I said an AM can have any number of tactical instructions. Lamela has different instructions to Son.

Is this not obvious?

If Lamela is great squad player then let him earn squad player wages. 40k instead of 100k. He's made 50 odd Pl since the begginging of 16/17 and got what? 4 assists and 7 goals? It's just not value for money for what he's earning, and neither is Lucas really. If everyone's fit neither start and one may find themselves struggling to stay on the bench even.

We are where we are because of the exceptional quality of our main men and manager, but we'll probably finish a little short of where we'd like to be because of a lack of other options.

Lamela's new contract was pragmatic more than anything and not a sign of how highly the manage rates him at all like some would like you to accept , I believe he was on £70,000 until 2020 which got ripped up and replaced with a new contract of £100,000 pw which effectively means he's going to cost is 20.8 million until 2022 when his contract expires if you subtract the 2 years of £70,000 a week we were contracted to pay him on the old deal that adds up as £7,280,000 that leaves you with an additional £13.5 total expense over the next 4 years which to be fair is excellent value for a squad player of Lamela's quality even if like me you don't rate him that highly when you consider the likely cost of a replacement.

I'm not saying he's perfect but you're shaping narratives to fit your argument, it's not working.

If you check earlier in the thread this is pretty much what I said.

The discussion developed into the role of the sub. Of course an AM is not always a goalscorer (to suggest otherwise is mad) - however an impact sub is there to make an impact - the greatest impact a player can have is to:
a) score a goal
b) save a goal
c) tread on Fabregas

Dembele was acknowledged to underperform in one area - scoring goals. Modric - well any (every) player is better if they can score.

I'm not trying to fit any narrative.

Lamela's new contract was pragmatic more than anything and not a sign of how highly the manage rates him at all like some would like you to accept , I believe he was on £70,000 until 2020 which got ripped up and replaced with a new contract of £100,000 pw which effectively means he's going to cost is 20.8 million until 2022 when his contract expires if you subtract the 2 years of £70,000 a week we were contracted to pay him on the old deal that adds up as £7,280,000 that leaves you with an additional £13.5 total expense over the next 4 years which to be fair is excellent value for a squad player of Lamela's quality even if like me you don't rate him that highly when you consider the likely cost of a replacement.

Plus the £25m he cost to buy? So the thick end of £50m (for, as everyone acknowledges, a squad player)

Mauricio Pochettino praises Tottenham Hotspur ace Erik Lamela

How's this for a sign the manager rates him?

I'd just personally enjoy watching a young player like Edwards, Clarke from Leeds or maybe the Swansea lad come in and watch them develop. Very difficult for us to compete for top tier talent but our best signings have generally been players we bought on potential and then seen them improve. I'm bored of Lamela, can't get enthused by watching him play. There was a moment earlier in the season where it looked like it might finally happen, he was great for 15 minutes against West Ham, but it just faded and died like all their bubbles.

I'd just personally enjoy watching a young player like Edwards, Clarke from Leeds or maybe the Swansea lad come in and watch them develop. Very difficult for us to compete for top tier talent but our best signings have generally been players we bought on potential and then seen them improve. I'm bored of Lamela, can't get enthused by watching him play. There was a moment earlier in the season where it looked like it might finally happen, he was great for 15 minutes against West Ham, but it just faded and died like all their bubbles.
Bringing up your favourite club again West Ham Cat Nonce?

Plus the £25m he cost to buy? So the thick end of £50m (for, as everyone acknowledges, a squad player)

That's what I'm alluding to , Lamela started afresh on a new contract 4 years maximum cost £20.8 , a new signing would cost at least that in transfer fee alone plus wages over 4 years , Lamela was the pragmatic option because at that point due to contract length , injuries , and relatively high wages he had a low transfer value .

You have Google. Find the quotes...

GZFmPYv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom