Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he does go it will be interesting whether a better team gets him as they too see what quite a few of the posters on here see in him. I would be very surprised though.

"ruined Sons form" ey?

He's still getting games and when he's started, he's been poor.

Son is an incredibly patchy player. Happens every single year. When he's in that patch he's fantastic, when he's off it he's a waste of the shirt.

Poch needs to manage it better. Not just with Son but with everyone. If you're off form, your place is up for grabs. Can't just do it with Son because Dele and Kane have both have runs off form and weren't replaced.

Poch needs to manage it better. Not just with Son but with everyone. If you're off form, your place is up for grabs. Can't just do it with Son because Dele and Kane have both have runs off form and weren't replaced.

That's all well and good when you have the strength in depth, but we don't. Llorente isn't legitimate backup for Kane because we don't play to his strengths (i.e. more aerial balls into the box), and he's approaching retirement. Ali is more replaceable, but when you look at our bench there's not really anyone else who can come on and turn a game.

Poch prefers to play people back into form, and clearly figures a half fit Kane is more effective within our system, than Llorente who'll probably leave in the summer.

Bottom line is we need to freshen up our attacking lineup with some pace and fresh creativity. Teams know how to frustrate us now.

"ruined Sons form" ey?

He's still getting games and when he's started, he's been poor.

Son is an incredibly patchy player. Happens every single year. When he's in that patch he's fantastic, when he's off it he's a waste of the shirt.

Son was on fire at the beggining of last year until Lamela stole his penalty and it took him a while to get his mojo back. Poch"s decision to play Lamela ahead of Son several times this year has also affected his form. When Son's on fire you let him burn, not pour water on him, which is what Poch did by bringing Lamela in.

That's all well and good when you have the strength in depth, but we don't. Llorente isn't legitimate backup for Kane because we don't play to his strengths (i.e. more aerial balls into the box), and he's approaching retirement. Ali is more replaceable, but when you look at our bench there's not really anyone else who can come on and turn a game.

Poch prefers to play people back into form, and clearly figures a half fit Kane is more effective within our system, than Llorente who'll probably leave in the summer.

Bottom line is we need to freshen up our attacking lineup with some pace and fresh creativity. Teams know how to frustrate us now.

Our players aren't the problem.

It's hard to make an impact when you start 4 or 5 games a season.

I'd take a team full of players who are starting 20+ games a season then a team who's 11 play 35+ with the rest starting here and there. No way to keep people fresh.

Wanyama has started SIX games this season. He started near on 40 last year. How is he meant to come in and be fresh when he's not getting any games.

Lamela has started less than 10 games by the way. Son near on 35.

I'd take a team full of players who are starting 20+ games a season then a team who's 11 play 35+ with the rest starting here and there. No way to keep people fresh.

Wanyama has started SIX games this season. He started near on 40 last year. How is he meant to come in and be fresh when he's not getting any games.

We've seen the same attacking minded players game-in-game-out because Poch knows they're a level above our back up options regardless of injuries.

I believe he'd have started Dembele over Vic on Saturday had he been fit. Better distribution and less prone to giving the ball away in our half (discounting his semi-final blip).

As for Lamela starting over Son? He looked decent when he came on against Brighton, and I think Poch wanted to use Sonny as an impact sub against tired legs. Still say he should generally be making changes a lot earlier though.

Moura (who I have high hopes for) didn't have enough time to really impact the game, but looked bright nevertheless. Llorente was just desperation.

And you know Poch told him to stick to the right flank do you? No offense, but saying a player lacks tactical discipline when you have no idea what the manager instructs him to do is fucking retarded. Do we criticise Alli for how often Rose got on the ball out wide as well? Or do we infer from that that perhaps the manager has instructed Lamela and Alli to play inside more to allow Rose and Trippier the space to get on the ball out wide?

That is a fair point, but, if Poch really wanted Tripps to be the only wide outlet in a countering setup, then it was a poor choice of tactics imo. Lamela was basically never available out right for us the whole game. I just can't see a way to defend that.

During this past month so many players have not got a look in or simply vanished.

Foyth has vanished. Not sure if he's injured?
Llorente can barely get on the pitch as a last min sub these days.
Aurier has played 2 games since April. Rose barely played all season. Remember when Poch would swap fullbacks EVERY game?
Sissoko seems to be out of favour and never gets a game. Wanyama in a similar situation.
Lamela, Toby, Moura barely been played.

Very little utilisation of the squad happening.

During this past month so many players have not got a look in or simply vanished.

Aurier has played 2 games since April. Rose barely played all season. Remember when Poch would swap fullbacks EVERY game?
Sissoko seems to be out of favour and never gets a game. Wanyama in a similar situation.
Lamela, Toby, Moura barely been played.

Don't forget Son too- dropped right when he was in peak form.

Seemingly not consider at the necesssary level yet. Has he even been seen outside of early domestic cup games?

We know why... We've all seen how little he's offered when he has played.

Aurier has played 2 games since April.

It's only 7th May lol... Also, declared unfit/injured last week.

Rose barely played all season.

Myth. He's played. He's been shit. Plus been re-injured somewhere in amongst all that.

Remember when Poch would swap fullbacks EVERY game?

We've still rotated full backs whenever we've had 2 games in a week

Sissoko seems to be out of favour and never gets a game.

Funny, cos I've seen him play in the last week. (You'd be in the minority if you considered him a starter).

2017/2018: EPL Games: 31(Sub 18)

Wanyama in a similar situation.

Clearly struggled since injury (and relapse mid-season). Been poor when he has played.

He's been integrated perfectly fine since returning from HIS injury ( :roll: ); some complain he's played too much.

2017/2018: EPL Games: 23(Sub 17)

Injury/Form/(+Contract?) (*)

Moura barely been played....

Finally, you stumble accross something that you may not be able to plausibly explain yourself.

You may be right, but for me the only real question marks are:

Moura: ...Maybe Poch doesn't think he's ready yet.
Winks: ...But reports are he's only really recently approaching full fitness again.
KWP: Thought he'd get a bit more of a punt this season.
TA(*): It's own debate (see his thread), so lets' include it for fare-ness.

...And as a difference maker, that list doesn't exactly amount to an EPL title win does it. : o/

Seemingly not consider at the necesssary level yet. Has he even been seen outside of early domestic cup games?

Myth. He's played. He's been shit. Plus been re-injured somewhere in amongst all that.

Funny, cos I've seen him play in the last week. (You'd be in the minority if you considered him a starter).

Clearly struggled since injury (and relapse mid-season). Been poor when he has played.

He's been integrated perfectly fine since returning from HIS injury ( :roll: ); some complain he's played too much.

Finally, you stumble accross something that you may not be able to plausibly explain yourself.

Winks: ...But reports are he's only really recently approaching full fitness again.

...And as a difference maker, that list doesn't exactly amount to an EPL title win does it. : o/

I think whatever we did we would never win the PL this season, but I think we'd have done better in the cups and CL.

I think the squad are burnt out. Solution to burn out is rotation. Yet now Poch is depending on players with so little game time that they're going to be rusty.

Our choices are:
1) Burnt out players carrying knocks and injuries who are saving themselves for world cup
2) Players with very little game time, sometimes coming back from injury themselves and out of form.

Either way Poch is fucked.

Llorente gets 5 mins every game, bit harsh to call him shit. It's the same thing every single season, we buy a striker then never play them and wonder why they perform shit when finally called upon.

He's played 4 games since March, then. I think that's 11-12 games.

He's played 2 games out of the past 9.

He's played 1 game out of the past 7. The harsh reality is he is our most attacking CM - far more so than Dier, Dembele or Wanyama. He isn't essential but he is very useful, especially in a 3 or with a more defensive CM 2.

Plays 1 of the last 7 and barely played any games before that either.

Long story short, since April (And before) we have barely rotated at all and now we suffer burn out.

The KWP situation is one that interests me. He played, well to be fair, in an emergency situation against inferior competition. Maybe he took the plaudits as evidence he’d arrived and slowed down a bit in training, maybe he just wasn’t selected a couple of times and got disheartened. Poch has said repeatedly that footballers are paid to train, so it’s clear that whatever the cause that the manager didn’t consider him to be the better training of his options when Trippier was fit and Aurier somewhat up to speed. Wouldn’t be the first footballer to have a smidge of success and think that meant that he’d made it.

Or he’s just young, got a start because of a lack of options and did well, but just hasn’t been judged to be ready for regular playing time. It’s hard to tell, really. Kane, Dier, Dele, Sanchez all were able to take advantage of prolonged durations of there not being other viable alternatives - so they were thrown to the wolves. KWP hasn’t had that opportunity as the road ahead of him has, but for the briefest of moments, been clogged.

For all the plaudits he gets I think Poch’s real talent is getting players who need to play ready to do so. When you look at the broad scope of his reign he hasn’t really ever willfully forced a player into the squad. Dele, Dier, Winks, Sanchez, etc. were all handed their biggest opportunities by injuries/dearth of options ahead of them, he prepared them for those opportunities and they wrestled a place. Leads me to think the biggest thing with KWP has been that’s Trippier and Aurier have been healthy and (Aurier’s occasional fuckups aside) just more ready to perform.

In reality, he probably needs a loan. His path to regular minutes is surely blocked until either Trippier or Aurier go. Needs to go and have the opportunity and responsibly of playing every week.

Last edited:
It's the usual rewriting of history with regards Lamela. By this time tomorroe they'll be saying he was the MOTM. No one's being fooled anymore though. I really hope he doesn't start on Wednesday as I fear the crowd may turn on him, which is never nice to see.
And you'll be saying he won't be seen in a Spurs shirt again, right?

The crowd will turn on him?! Do you know what fucking club this is? Not everyone is a cunt of a supporter like you looking to dig out players at every juncture. Those that actually go to games mainly support the team. Unlike you.

Clownshoe.

And you'll be saying he won't be seen in a Spurs shirt again, right?

The crowd will turn on him?! Do you know what fucking club this is? Not everyone is a cunt of a supporter like you looking to dig out players at every juncture. Those that actually go to games mainly support the team. Unlike you.

Clownshoe.

Seriously, I think the critical mass point has been reached with Lamela. The culmination of watching him cut inside the 10,000th time and the millionth pointless rollover. I don't think I could even bear watching if he starts. And if he did and we go behind the groans will start coming every time he gives the ball away or runs into someone.

Seriously, I think the critical mass point has been reached with Lamela. The culmination of watching him cut inside the 10,000th time and the millionth pointless rollover. I don't think I could even bear watching if he starts. And if he did and we go behind the groans will start coming every time he gives the ball away or runs into someone.
Who do you think we are? Woolwich?

There are groans when Harry misses a penalty. There are groans when Hugo misjudges a catch. There are groans when Aurier or Trippier get beaten by their man. A groan is not ''the crowd turning on someone'. We don't do that, certainly not for purely footballing reasons.

When Roberto Soldaldo went through a shit spell at Spurs, what did he receive? Unwavering support. Vincent Janssen? The same. Lewis Holtby? Similar. Even after Danny Rose's treachery he gets resounding support. Why would Erik Lamela be different?

Once again you're showcasing your complete disconnect for what Spurs, especially us fans, are all about.

We aren't fucking Woolwich, we don't turn on our own just because they've played a few bad games after being out for over a year.

You haven't got a clue.

If he does go it will be interesting whether a better team gets him as they too see what quite a few of the posters on here see in him. I would be very surprised though.
If he does go he’ll go to a top Seria A side, Italian football will suit him much better then our high press against bus parking teams

I don’t want him to go but I do want him to have a successful career and if he doesn’t feel England is the place he should go on

Who do you think we are? Woolwich?

There are groans when Harry misses a penalty. There are groans when Hugo misjudges a catch. There are groans when Aurier or Trippier get beaten by their man. A groan is not ''the crowd turning on someone'. We don't do that, certainly not for purely footballing reasons.

When Roberto Soldaldo went through a shit spell at Spurs, what did he receive? Unwavering support. Vincent Janssen? The same. Lewis Holtby? Similar. Even after Danny Rose's treachery he gets resounding support. Why would Erik Lamela be different?

Once again you're showcasing your complete disconnect for what Spurs, especially us fans, are all about.

We aren't fucking Woolwich, we don't turn on our own just because they've played a few bad games after being out for over a year.

You haven't got a clue.

There's plenty of players who've got dog's abuse at Spurs, don't try and pretend we're Paragons of virtue. You're very selective in the players you refer to. No mention of Paolo Tramezzani I see, and I was at the game where Dean Richards got booed. The fault was not with him or the crowd but the manager who picked him because there was obviously something going on with him. I don't think many Spurs fans could stomach seeing Lamela playing ahead of Son or Lucas anymore. It's just wrong and it's making many question Poch.

Back
Top Bottom