Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was a very bad game from him.

But plenty of players have had worse games.

The point still stands that he's a good footballer, works hard, doesn't kick up a fuss and Pochettino obviously likes him. I've had my say on Lamela. If he's happy enough to sit on the bench and work in rotation, continue to work hard and earn his place than I'm happy for him to stay. If we were offered a generous sum for him in the summer, then yes I probably would get rid if we get an adequate replacement who will either come in and start games for us (Bale) or be happy to sit on the bench.

A bad game from him doesn't put him in the 'must sell' column for me.

Right now, he's probably in the 'Would sell if we sign a replacement and get a good fee' column. But quite a few players are in that column.

We have so many players who produce cameos of quality and then either don't get picked or when they do fall short of consistency. I am utterly sick of it.

The reason it has not mattered too much in the last 2/3 seasons is that Kane and Alli in particular have been exceptional.

This season and in the crucial moments Kane has not produced if truth be told and we have not had anyone who fills that void.

Of Lamela, 1 good but not exceptional performance in 5 is not enough for a player of such worth. I will say the same of Moura if he follows suit next season.

And you'll do anything to moan about him. It's boring mate, really it is. You claim that everyone talks about him like a world beater yet you can't find a single post from anyone that says anything other than the fact that he is a great player to have in the squad.

It's apples and oranges mate, but this seems to be the only topic I see you discussing. If you're going to continue being a one dimensional bore I really have 0 problem ignoring you.

Fuck off and ignore me then

And you'll do anything to moan about him. It's boring mate, really it is. You claim that everyone talks about him like a world beater yet you can't find a single post from anyone that says anything other than the fact that he is a great player to have in the squad.

I've found one, what's the prize?

He's the sort of player that can make other players look silly while he's standing still. I remember seeing him standing on the ball surveying the pitch against Colombia, player came charging in like a bull and he just nutmegged him and sent the poor lad flying.

Plenty more like that I can assure you. There's some serious back peddling going on here. Where's SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur - seems to be keeping awfully quiet.

Lamela has been crap, no two ways about it....that doesnt mean he is always crap, or useless, but ahead of Son and Moura? Poch is having a laugh there.

I feel we killed Sons form, and wonder if we will ever get the best out of him again. He needs 5 or 6 games to come up to speed....Its no good dropping him at the top of his game.

Lamela has been crap, no two ways about it....that doesnt mean he is always crap, or useless, but ahead of Son and Moura? Poch is having a laugh there.

I feel we killed Sons form, and wonder if we will ever get the best out of him again. He needs 5 or 6 games to come up to speed....Its no good dropping him at the top of his game.

Even though I agree to it 99 percent, shouldn't this be at Pochetino thread or the Spurs tread if there is such.

When Son was at the top of his form making highlites with biggest smile on his face everyday, he kept telling he could do more play better. But Poch kept dropping him at every turn, broke his heart so many time. Poor guy hes not a robot. He has feelings. He plays like shit now. Who's loss now? Who facilated who?

Like I said before Lamela is not the problem. He sure not fixing it. But the biggest problem is the whole team eapecially the attackers not passing to each other as well as they could. Plus we pay half. That combination is the formula for the teams failure everytime the going gets tough.

Even though I agree to it 99 percent, shouldn't this be at Pochetino thread or the Spurs tread if there is such.

When Son was at the top of his form making highlites with biggest smile on his face everyday, he kept telling he could do more play better. But Poch kept dropping him at every turn, broke his heart so many time. Poor guy hes not a robot. He has feelings. He plays like shit now. Who's loss now? Who facilated who?

Like I said before Lamela is not the problem. He sure not fixing it. But the biggest problem is the whole team eapecially the attackers not passing to each other as well as they could. Plus we pay half. That combination is the formula for the teams failure everytime the going gets tough.

I agree other than the wages....I dont think we would suddenly win the title with this squad by simply doubling everyones wages WITHOUT working on our mentality and belief.
You cant just buy a mindset......our talent is there for all to see, but will paying Lamela 190k a week make him more consistent?

Of course it wont.

As for Son, couldnt agree more.....he is ALWAYS the fall guy. ALWAYS. I said months ago who would be shafted when Toby got fit....people didnt want to hear it. All trying to deny that the only reason Son got minutes was after Toby got injured and we went 4 up top.
All on Poch.

Last edited:
I agree other than the wages....I dont think we would suddenly win the title with this squad by simply doubling everyones wages WITHOUT working on our mentality and belief.
You cant just buy a mindset......our talent is there for all to see, but will paying Lamela 190k a week make him more consistent?

Of course it wont.

As for Son, couldnt agree more.....he is ALWAYS the fall guy. ALWAYS. I said months ago who would be shafted when Toby got fit....people didnt want to hear it. All on Poch.

The combination of the two is what can't have I said if we ever want to be champion of anything. It would be beautiful, I would be in tears if we could manage to pass to each other and win the league paying half. But I don't see it happening, more and more so with each year passing by witnessing these exponential amount financing being poured in the league here. As a matter of fact we have had a unique once in a life time opportunity for it past 3 season. We blew them all. Not without considerable progress but no silverware for sure.

I don't expect the Spurs with its philosophy and current ownership to ever spend City type of money. But we all know need more. But the team able to pass well and more importantly operate to win would be of course no doubt critically correct over spending for the sake of spending

Last edited:

Plenty more like that I can assure you. There's some serious back peddling going on here. Where's SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur - seems to be keeping awfully quiet.

And at what point during this statement do I claim he's a world beater? I claimed he beat a player while standing still. Did the same against Townsend as well, as I'm sure you'll remember.

Here's the funny thing mate, you try and twist my words to make me look silly, yet you've been wrong at every turn about Lamela, so much so that the only person who ever listens to you calls himself "superstar".

And at what point during this statement do I claim he's a world beater? I claimed he beat a player while standing still. Did the same against Townsend as well, as I'm sure you'll remember.

Here's the funny thing mate, you try and twist my words to make me look silly, yet you've been wrong at every turn about Lamela, so much so that the only person who ever listens to you calls himself "superstar".

Ignoring me involves not mentioning me at every turn Erik

I do agree that Son is the one who gets unfair treatment when it comes to starting games. The lad was in blistering form until Poch favored Lamela over him. I already stated before that its the Argentine connection. Poch is just looking out for his countryman while Son gets the stick. I always wonder why Alli never gets benched....

I do agree that Son is the one who gets unfair treatment when it comes to starting games. The lad was in blistering form until Poch favored Lamela over him. I already stated before that its the Argentine connection. Poch is just looking out for his countryman while Son gets the stick. I always wonder why Alli never gets benched....

Completely agree. If Poch had committed more to Son in 2015/16 then we'd have benefitted towards the end of the season and maybe won the league, and having the won the league once we'd have had that confidence to go and win it a second time. We really look a sorry side compared to the same stage last season when we were on fire. And the difference is Lamela, and he's now stiffling Moura's progression like he stifled Son's. If we blow 4th, Poch's faith in Lamela could cost him his job. The irony is that I don't think he truly rates him, he just kind of trusts him because he's a grafter, and we've seen in recent games that being a grafter just isn't enough.

I love Lamela and have always been defensive of him.
However his recent performances haven't been good enough. I don't think any one could argue with that.
Yes a massive injury coupled with limited game time hasn't helped, but I am starting to worry about him now.
I would give him 1 more (injury free) year to improve or sadly it will be time to move him on.

I actually thought Lamela was one of our better players at the Hawthorns. It didn’t really happen for him but it was primarily him and Eriksen trying to make things happen (along with Jan and Rose). Compared to Kane or Alli he was a positive influence

I actually thought Lamela was one of our better players at the Hawthorns. It didn’t really happen for him but it was primarily him and Eriksen trying to make things happen (along with Jan and Rose). Compared to Kane or Alli he was a positive influence

Sometimes "trying to make things happen" can sometimes actually be counter-productive for the team. Lamela went completely missing from the right side of our attack at Brum. Those who complain about Trippier always ending up with the ball down the right should consider this: nobody but Trippier can end up with the ball if nobody except Trippier is there!

Lamela should be playing more tactically disciplined, receiving the ball down the right, and taking on his man down the endline, setting up either nice cutback passes or sweet left-footed curlers at the far post. Instead he routinely popped up in bizarre places such as deep left-central midfield! Other players were ostensibly tasked with these areas, and because Lamela was not out right, Brum defenders didn't need to be either, and so were able to more easily pack central areas with extra defenders.

I feel for him- he obviously wants to do well, but I think he's just trying too hard to get involved, and making things tougher for the rest of the team. He wants to play CAM so badly, but theres just no realistic way he'll get in there ahead of Dele and Eriksen. Hes out of form, tactically undisciplined, and offers no goal-scoring threat at present. Absolutely cannot start for us right now. Has no business whatsoever being in front of Son in attack right now.

I quite like The Hoover. He has an unpredictable yet high quality characteristic. Decent bench warmer for those 70th minute substitutions. But absolutely nothing more than this.

Been at Arcadia festival all weekend. Haven't seen the game. Disappointed seeing the result.

Not sure why you've called me out to invite me to say that Poch proved your latest claim of Lamela not starting again as wrong. Again.

By the sounds of it he had a shit game, and wasn't alone. That's his 25th game he's been involved in since you said you'd be surprised if he was seen at the training ground again.

Sometimes "trying to make things happen" can sometimes actually be counter-productive for the team. Lamela went completely missing from the right side of our attack at Brum. Those who complain about Trippier always ending up with the ball down the right should consider this: nobody but Trippier can end up with the ball if nobody except Trippier is there!

Lamela should be playing more tactically disciplined, receiving the ball down the right, and taking on his man down the endline, setting up either nice cutback passes or sweet left-footed curlers at the far post. Instead he routinely popped up in bizarre places such as deep left-central midfield! Other players were ostensibly tasked with these areas, and because Lamela was not out right, Brum defenders didn't need to be either, and so were able to more easily pack central areas with extra defenders.

I feel for him- he obviously wants to do well, but I think he's just trying too hard to get involved, and making things tougher for the rest of the team. He wants to play CAM so badly, but theres just no realistic way he'll get in there ahead of Dele and Eriksen. Hes out of form, tactically undisciplined, and offers no goal-scoring threat at present. Absolutely cannot start for us right now. Has no business whatsoever being in front of Son in attack right now.

And you know Poch told him to stick to the right flank do you? No offense, but saying a player lacks tactical discipline when you have no idea what the manager instructs him to do is fucking retarded. Do we criticise Alli for how often Rose got on the ball out wide as well? Or do we infer from that that perhaps the manager has instructed Lamela and Alli to play inside more to allow Rose and Trippier the space to get on the ball out wide?

And you know Poch told him to stick to the right flank do you? No offense, but saying a player lacks tactical discipline when you have no idea what the manager instructs him to do is fucking retarded. Do we criticise Alli for how often Rose got on the ball out wide as well? Or do we infer from that that perhaps the manager has instructed Lamela and Alli to play inside more to allow Rose and Trippier the space to get on the ball out wide?

Whatever we do we mustn't blame Erik for his ineffectivenes.

Lamela embodies Tottenham.

He flatters to deceive which is why we spend so long debating a player who has hardly ever been the matchwinner or the difference.

Not one of the top 6 would want him if he became available.

Whatever we do we mustn't blame Erik for his ineffectivenes.

It's the usual rewriting of history with regards Lamela. By this time tomorroe they'll be saying he was the MOTM. No one's being fooled anymore though. I really hope he doesn't start on Wednesday as I fear the crowd may turn on him, which is never nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom