Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was a very bad game from him.

But plenty of players have had worse games.

The point still stands that he's a good footballer, works hard, doesn't kick up a fuss and Pochettino obviously likes him. I've had my say on Lamela. If he's happy enough to sit on the bench and work in rotation, continue to work hard and earn his place than I'm happy for him to stay. If we were offered a generous sum for him in the summer, then yes I probably would get rid if we get an adequate replacement who will either come in and start games for us (Bale) or be happy to sit on the bench.

A bad game from him doesn't put him in the 'must sell' column for me.

Right now, he's probably in the 'Would sell if we sign a replacement and get a good fee' column. But quite a few players are in that column.

Yea ok, he's still out of form, but don't try and pretend he's ever been any sort of offensive phenom since he arrived.

Lamela
2015-16
44 apps, 11 goals, 10 assists.

Eriksen
2017-18
44 apps, 14 goals, 13 assists.

3 goals and 3 assists separate "Terrible, not good enough" Lamela from "Amazing, Barcelona wanted" Eriksen?

Lamela has never been amazing but let's not try to pretend that 11 goals and 10 assists is a bad haul. On top of that he was constantly improving, performing in the big games (United, City etc) and many of us thought he would push on. Unfortunately he picked up an injury yet (again) and he's stalled (again).

Offensive phenomenon? No.
Good attacking midfielder? Yes.

Will he ever reach his potential? Who knows, but I think he's a player worth gambling on and keeping.

Right now, he's probably in the 'Would sell if we sign a replacement and get a good fee' column. But quite a few players are in that column.

Who are the others?

For me I think Dier and Dembele are both at this point.

Dembele, amazing at dribbling, brilliant at winning the ball, incredible close control. Can't shoot, slows down play, average passing. I feel like a box-to-box midfielder needs to do more than he does.

Lamela
2015-16

Eriksen
2017-18

3 goals and 3 assists separate "Terrible, not good enough" Lamela from "Amazing, Barcelona wanted" Eriksen?

Lamela has never been amazing but let's not try to pretend that 11 goals and 10 assists is a bad haul. On top of that he was constantly improving, performing in the big games (United, City etc) and many of us thought he would push on. Unfortunately he picked up an injury yet (again) and he's stalled (again).

Will he ever reach his potential? Who knows, but I think he's a player worth gambling on and keeping.

Fair enough, although I will point out that that was 2 years ago.
Football is a "what have you done for me lately sport", and after a long-term injury, it's up to the player to convince everyone they can get back to previous form.
I still stand by what I said earlier- he didn't deserve a start yesterday ahead of either Son or Moura, and he didn't do anything to show us that he has recovered any sort of form.

playing teams where its going to be a battle I would have Lamela over son everytime (if eriksen is playing)
Lamela is not the great star I thought we were buying, his unwillingness to use his right feet cost us a goal today on that chance he had late in the game
yes I can have him as a battler, but the way he runs with the ball as he has to only use his left foot, just makes him look wrong

Why is it such a taboo among some quarters to criticise this fella? Yes, he's got some qualities (which even his biggest detractors would ackowledge) but he's also got a hell of a lot of limitations. A squad player for me. When he's in the satrting XI it never excites me.

It is called Soldaldo syndrome where opinions and expectations are based on what they want for the player and not the actual performances. I was a huge proponent of his signing, he is was a massive prospect due to his time at River and Roma but he hasn’t come any near to realising this. He is in his peak years and he has barely progressed from the player I saw at the start. It is time for him to move on.

yes maybe time to move on from Lamela, but since Poch came here how much has been wasted on players he has not played or have been poor,
sissoko, Llrente, GKN, Jenseen, etc including their wages it must be £90+m wasted, but no-one stands up and says sorry its my fault I said yes to these players

Lamela
2015-16

Eriksen
2017-18

Nice spin to it. Lamela has 8 league goals for us, as an AM. He has been here since sunmer 2013 - for five years. He has started 68 games for us and came on as a sub for 40 games. He has scored in less than 1 in every 8 starts. Now, compare that to our other AMs.

Yes, he works hard. But he falls on his ass every time he tries to finish. The number of chances he has totally fucked up is huge. He is terrible in the box. Even in his best season he only scored five in the league in 28 starts and 6 sub appearances.

The guy you compared him has not scored less than six premier league goals in any of his five seasons for us.

Pros-
Great attitude
Great presser
Good vision/through balls
Can play one touch
Good ball control and poise
Right amount of nasty/good gamesmanship
Will battle and get stuck in

Cons-
Not fast enough to play as a real wing forward
Not good enough as a playmaker to play the Eriksen role/rotate with him
Not strong/defensive minded enough for CM
Finishing not good enough to play off centre forward (not sure he's ever shot with his laces minus volleys)

I would keep unless we get a real good offer AND have a brilliant option coming in. Otherwise leave it. Bigger issues elsewhere.

The main issue with him playing is that Eriksen and Dele are better so too play him too means the team will have almost no pace. It worked when we had the best fullbacks in the league mind you but that's another discussion.

Lamela
2015-16

Eriksen
2017-18

and now re-do those goal stats for the PL.

I'm a big Son fan, but I only count his PL/CL goals, those are the crucial ones, they determine whether we get the huge PL/CL dosh that we need to pay our players and not go bankrupt over the new stadium. As for EL, I'll always go and watch, cos it's £20 and I'd like to see kids like Skipp and Josh. But counting goals against Barbers and Tinkers from somewhere I've never heard of in Northern Cyprus is taking the P.

8 PL goals is really poor. Can anyone defend that? HIs best season was 2015-16, 5 goals. And even then 3 of them were when the games were already won. Nice for the stats, but not going to get us more points.

I've gone past wanting to keep him as long as he's happy in the main to be a sub/squad member for the odd cute assist. There's an opportunity cost of someone who came for £20m at 2013 prices and 5 years of wages. If someone comes in with a decent offer, bite their hand off and replace with someone more effective.

Does anyone here think he's going to get better? Really?

Lamela
2015-16

Eriksen
2017-18

League cup and Europa group games bump up his stats let's do Premier League

League cup and Europa group games bump up his stats let's do Premier League

Because Eriksen didn't have equal opportunities to play in those games? Can only score against the opponents put in front of you, and the reason we tend to do so badly in the cups is that players like Eriksen and Kane have a tendency to phone it in some games.

The only time we should using Lamela is when we are winning a game and we sub him on to run down the clock. He is decent in possession and definitely works hard so he would be useful in that scenario but starting him? please God no.

Poch has no excuse to not start Lucas now. Sonny is in poor form and Lamela never got going so it's now the right time to give Moura a run.

The only time we should using Lamela is when we are winning a game and we sub him on to run down the clock. He is decent in possession and definitely works hard so he would be useful in that scenario but starting him? please God no.

Poch has no excuse to not start Lucas now. Sonny is in poor form and Lamela never got going so it's now the right time to give Moura a run.

To be fair, Lamela was really good in the 'false 9' against Chelsea - but how many times is he going to get the opportunity to play that role for us? Slim chance.

I wonder that if we ever played a 4-3-3 if he could make up one of the 3 in central midfield. Has the work rate for it.

Whilst Lucas probably deserves to start due to out of form Son and Lamela are, he's still been less than convincing when given the chance. Looks all style and no substance so far. He started against Brighton for example and was dogshit.

I don't think bringing Lucas on against defensive sides (West Brom, Man Utd etc) has helped him though as he's not particularly good enough to break those down, it's not his game.

To be fair, Lamela was really good in the 'false 9' against Chelsea - but how many times is he going to get the opportunity to play that role for us? Slim chance.

I wonder that if we ever played a 4-3-3 if he could make up one of the 3 in central midfield. Has the work rate for it.

Whilst Lucas probably deserves to start due to out of form Son and Lamela are, he's still been less than convincing when given the chance. Looks all style and no substance so far. He started against Brighton for example and was dogshit.

I don't think bringing Lucas on against defensive sides (West Brom, Man Utd etc) has helped him though as he's not particularly good enough to break those down, it's not his game.

I'd honestly love to see Lamela in the left sided central midfield slot ahead of Dier/Wanyama and beside Dele. Have Dembele and Lamela rotate in that more sitting role while Dele/Winks have more free reign to join the attacking 3 like Iniesta did for Barca. Eriksen out on the right, Son on the left, Lucas as a back up. We'd need another wide player, definitely, but I see how it could work. Dembele is definitely a better dribbler and ball carrier than Lamela is, Lamela has better movement and passing than Dembele.

I'd honestly love to see Lamela in the left sided central midfield slot ahead of Dier/Wanyama and beside Dele. Have Dembele and Lamela rotate in that more sitting role while Dele/Winks have more free reign to join the attacking 3 like Iniesta did for Barca. Eriksen out on the right, Son on the left, Lucas as a back up. We'd need another wide player, definitely, but I see how it could work. Dembele is definitely a better dribbler and ball carrier than Lamela is, Lamela has better movement and passing than Dembele.

People will do anything to play Lamela failing that we could put him in goal! Ludicrous

I don't think he was dogs shit against Brighton at all and I think we can't judge him if all he is getting is 15 minutes here and there.

I don't think he was dogs shit against Brighton at all and I think we can't judge him if all he is getting is 15 minutes here and there.

He certainly didnt put in a performance that warrants many starts though.

But I will judge him on next season, not this one.

People will do anything to play Lamela failing that we could put him in goal! Ludicrous

And you'll do anything to moan about him. It's boring mate, really it is. You claim that everyone talks about him like a world beater yet you can't find a single post from anyone that says anything other than the fact that he is a great player to have in the squad.

It's apples and oranges mate, but this seems to be the only topic I see you discussing. If you're going to continue being a one dimensional bore I really have 0 problem ignoring you.

Back
Top Bottom