Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have never understood some folks rating of the lad. Yes, he tries, is tenacious, etc, but he is just so ponderous, indecisive, one-footed, and always, always takes a touch too many.
Squad player at best.

I have never understood some folks rating of the lad. Yes, he tries, is tenacious, etc, but he is just so ponderous, indecisive, one-footed, and always, always takes a touch too many.
Squad player at best.

One good game in ten , It's Jermaine Jenas all over again (with less end product)got all the makings of a good player but rarely puts it together

I love Lamela, but if someone asked me who should be replaced by a new signing to strengthen the squad, he'd be the first name after Sissoko and Llorente for me.

Hypothetical, but replacing Lamela with Malcom might be the kind of cut-throat business that is needed to push us on.

Lamela is clearly our worst attacker of the first-team regulars- we really shouldn't be playing him except as a defensive sub.

Something happened when he came to Spurs- he lost all his flair and goal-scoring prowess as he turned into a pressing machine. Needs to be converted into a CM if he is to salvage his career here. I think he'll be off in the summer though.

Lamela is clearly our worst attacker of the first-team regulars- we really shouldn't be playing him except as a defensive sub.

Something happened when he came to Spurs- he lost all his flair and goal-scoring prowess as he turned into a pressing machine. Needs to be converted into a CM if he is to salvage his career here. I think he'll be off in the summer though.

I think his 15 goals in a season at Roma was a freak due to them being an exceptionally attacking side and the poor state of Italian defenses at the time. He's never looked like being a regular goalscorer in the PL or CL, only the Europa and League Cup. He blunts our whole attack, he's a black hole of pointless rollovers. "But he's our most creative player!" Has often been the cry when his poor goalscoring is mentioned. When was his last assist in the league? Going back to last season I'd wager our goals per game ratio is lower when he starts. I really don't want to see him play for us again. He's just not good enough. It's a crime for him to start ahead of Son or Lucas.

Last edited:
I dont like him starting.

Happy for him to come on as a sub when space opens up in the MF, he's good at the assists on the edge of the box. Nice pass for Kane's goal at Leicester in the 1-2 loss December. NW1 asking for his last assist, I think it was that one. Similar to the Kane one v Leicester at home that hit the bar in the 0-1.

But I've never thought that a £20m AM should be a squad player. He was bought as a starter. Ahead of Eriksen in the pecking order. He's been overtaken by so many players. Dele obviously who came in for £5m. But for a while he was even behind Chadli. Son's scoring should have him starting ahead of Lamela all day.

His faults are well known. He's got no pace (not much you can do about that), also no right foot - and you CAN do something about that. Poor finisher - his lack of goals is really bad. 8 PL goals in so many starts. There are some I've seen him miss from crosses at close range that show he's not got good goal instinct.

For £20m at 2014 prices, we should have more than someone who chases down the oppo and chips in with the odd assist. imo sell and get a better replacement who scores more, has 2 feet, and some proper pace.

How much game time has Lamela had? Isn't this his first start in over a month, after coming back from an injury that kept him out for god knows how long?

Player gets 0 game time. Finally gets a game. Is rusty due to lack of game time. Fans call him shit.

Okay then. Same thing with Llorente and god knows how many other players you lot have written off as shite. It's as if some of you don't understand you have to play on a regular basis to find consistency..

How much game time has Lamela had? Isn't this his first start in over a month, after coming back from an injury that kept him out for god knows how long?

Player gets 0 game time. Finally gets a game. Is rusty due to lack of game time. Fans call him shit.

Okay then. Same thing with Llorente and god knows how many other players you lot have written off as shite. It's as if some of you don't understand you have to play on a regular basis to find consistency..

You are very ill-informed as always.

He came back from injury in November 2017!
He has gotten game time in every league game since then - more than 20!

Do you even watch Spurs games?

Why is it such a taboo among some quarters to criticise this fella? Yes, he's got some qualities (which even his biggest detractors would ackowledge) but he's also got a hell of a lot of limitations. A squad player for me. When he's in the satrting XI it never excites me.

Why is it such a taboo among some quarters to criticise this fella? Yes, he's got some qualities (which even his biggest detractors would ackowledge) but he's also got a hell of a lot of limitations. A squad player for me. When he's in the satrting XI it never excites me.
I don’t think it’s taboo to criticize him. He was hopeless today. It’s the posters who seem to get joy out of players struggling to suit their own bias, that’s why I’d say people have an issue. Certainly the case for me.

Because he's had a lot less time than people think. He's been injured for over 2 years since joining us and this season was a write off and about being fit again.

Out of the 5 years he's been here he's started consistently for two years and did very well in both seasons.

He's lacked game time and suddenly starts - did you honestly expect a 10/10 performance?

He's rusty as fuck and finding his feet again, ripping him a new one is ridiculous when the entire team has been shite for a month now.

Because he's had a lot less time than people think. He's been injured for over 2 years since joining us and this season was a write off and about being fit again.

Out of the 5 years he's been here he's started consistently for two years and did very well in both seasons.

He's lacked game time and suddenly starts - did you honestly expect a 10/10 performance?

He's rusty as fuck and finding his feet again, ripping him a new one is ridiculous when the entire team has been shite for a month now.

The guy's been here 5 years. I had him sussed after 5 minutes. He's a fraud of a footballer. All the stupid rollovers and silly little no look passes only impress the impressionable. He has two good qualities - his engine and his tenacity, but as a footballer he's astonishingly limited. One footed, unbalanced, doesn't know how to strike a football properly without falling backwards, can't beat a man, doesn't get crosses in. Runs around like Paula Radcliffe looking for a toilet, as one Twitter user put it. Should long since have been upgraded and moved on. Having good players here makes him look better than he is. If he stays in the PL and makes a downward move his limitations will be bought out even more.

I never rated him prior to his injury and he's had his fair share of game time this season. Not ripping him anything, just a very limited and frustrating player in my eyes and I just don't get the clamour for him to start in games. As I said, a handy, hardworking squad player when sparingly used. Can't fault the lads effort, but I said the same about Freund. The ability just isn't there.

... As I said, a handy, hardworking squad player when sparingly used. Can't fault the lads effort, but I said the same about Freund. The ability just isn't there.
Thats exactly how I see him too. Not a bad player to have on the bench, but shouldnt be a starter for a team looking to be in the top 4 or better. How he gets ahead of Son is a fooking mystery.

Yea ok, he's still out of form, but don't try and pretend he's ever been any sort of offensive phenom since he arrived. His goal scoring touch got left at Roma and he has not produced the creativity or assists we had all hoped for. He's basically slowly declined since he arrived. Why the fuck did Poch choose to start him in a game we needed to get points from? He never should have been started in the game today.

Back
Top Bottom