Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's like some people would prefer him (and other players) to fail, so that they can be right in their assessment of their abilities. Me, I'd rather be proven wrong every time if I don't initially rate someone, if it is good for the team.

Agreed.

I didn’t like the Sissoko signing. Too expensive and too average a player in my opinion. I would joke about his mistakes, and generally be a dick about him, but he proved me wrong. I still don’t think he’s without fault, but he’s proven to be a good squad player and I’m very happy to eat my words.

I can understand online rants about players, but at least acknowledge the good stuff they do. It should go without saying that the players should get unconditional support when attending games. I still remember being right behind the goal in the Park Lane when some twat was hurling abuse at Assou-Ekotto at the top of his voice, and I could see from the look on his face that Benny heard it and was trying to block it out. Not exactly supportive.

Having said that, I should admit that I wanted Chiriches to fail spectacularly after his Chelsea comments. Thankfully he obliged swiftly.

Agreed.

I didn’t like the Sissoko signing. Too expensive and too average a player in my opinion. I would joke about his mistakes, and generally be a dick about him, but he proved me wrong. I still don’t think he’s without fault, but he’s proven to be a good squad player and I’m very happy to eat my words.

I can understand online rants about players, but at least acknowledge the good stuff they do. It should go without saying that the players should get unconditional support when attending games. I still remember being right behind the goal in the Park Lane when some twat was hurling abuse at Assou-Ekotto at the top of his voice, and I could see from the look on his face that Benny heard it and was trying to block it out. Not exactly supportive.

Having said that, I should admit that I wanted Chiriches to fail spectacularly after his Chelsea comments. Thankfully he obliged swiftly.
I’ll never understand supporters showing up and getting on the backs of our lot. There’s a particular cunt I can remember on the shelf (directly in front of where I ended up standing regardless of what my ticket said for the day) that was coked out of his mind and hurling more abuse at us than them “‘ave a shot, ya cunt” and all that.

If that cunt can’t afford a ST now, the price hikes will be worth it. Poisonous bastard.

I’ll never understand supporters showing up and getting on the backs of our lot. There’s a particular cunt I can remember on the shelf (directly in front of where I ended up standing regardless of what my ticket said for the day) that was coked out of his mind and hurling more abuse at us than them “‘ave a shot, ya cunt” and all that.

If that cunt can’t afford a ST now, the price hikes will be worth it. Poisonous bastard.

Imagine paying for the privilege of standing (sitting. :sigh: ) in the cold, pissing and moaning for 90mins+ every week...

Fucking weirdos!

Imagine paying for the privilege of standing (sitting. :sigh: ) in the cold, pissing and moaning for 90mins+ every week...

Fucking weirdos!
I’ll never understand it. We’ve employed some dross I wasn’t fond of over the years. But if you can’t pull it together for 90 minutes to support every player out on the pitch in a white shirt then what really are you?

It’s one thing to get on here after the match and say X is a disaster and needs to be sold (still don’t agree). But to do so in the middle of the match at the stadium? That’s not support.

I’ll never understand it. We’ve employed some dross I wasn’t fond of over the years. But if you can’t pull it together for 90 minutes to support every player out on the pitch in a white shirt then what really are you?

It’s one thing to get on here after the match and say X is a disaster and needs to be sold (still don’t agree). But to do so in the middle of the match at the stadium? That’s not support.

I've always been keen on the distinction between fan and supporter.

I'm a fan of fry ups, dodgy 80s pop music and sexy women... Supporting a football club is a different proposition entirely.

Imagine supporting a friend through difficult circumstances...

"I got your back, Blood... You's a bit of a cunt tho' innit fam!"(*)

(*Gooner-isms intended)

Last edited:

I know exactly who you are talking about. My season ticket was in the shelf. That geeza was a fucking idiot.

He's not though is he plenty have the blinkers on when it comes to Lamela, some of the higher grade morons on here seem to think he's world class !

Please show me someone who has said that Lamela is world class at the moment? Or has been for us?
Or even that he is most important (or one of the most important) players for the team? Go on...

If you can't provide it, you really look stupid in light of arguing with yourself.

All that I see people doing here are giving him praise for good performance and pointing out positive traits of his game. And actually cheering for him to get better, last time I checked it was not a crime...

The club needs a marquee signing to justify the high season ticket prices in the first season in the new stadium and someone has to make way. I think that player is probably Lamela.

Stepping back here a bit, would you care to explain WHY IN THE WORLD would the club make marquee signing in AM position?!?!?! That sounds utterly stupid, as this is our best line of the team together with GK position. We have luxury of super creative dynamo of Eriksen, very cleaver and technically good Alli who provides both - assists and goals also now we have relentlessly working Son who is on track to produce 2nd 20+ goal season from AM position. And on top of such trio we have Brazil full international who was one of the most creative players in last season CL in Moura, plus Lamela back from injury AND if needed we can play Sissoko there. Why would we spend loads of cash on this postion?

At the same time we rely significantly on Moose health who is on wrong side of 30. Both of our RB options are still bit of question mark, Rose seems to be on his way out and if Kane cant play we have to shift Son from AM to ST. Toby has not signed new contract so it might happen that next year our first back-up CB pick is very uproven 19 year-old Argentine.

ALL of those positions would be more important in the same order than to add one other good AM to the team. Football is more than 4/5 attacking players you know...

P.S and if you were suggesting that we need additional cash for buying a marquee signings then maybe I could remind you that we have players in our books who have had quite modest effect of our current season. Let's start off with Janssen who was sent to Turkey. We brought him for 17 mil, he has not done too well, but it is Levy magic, he could still milk like 10 out of him. Then we have N'Koudou who we sent to Burnley. His time with us is surely over and we paid 11 mil for him. Levy could get 6 from here. Then we have Onomah, who I personally very much doubt can force himself into picture with all the players we have right now. He is young, English and some experience in domestic football, so 15 mil would not be too little for him I'd say. Then we have Rozyyybooyy who has been very-very poor this season and was moody in summer, I expect him to leave and I totally see different EPL clubs bidding A LOT (either clubs as ManU who don't count the money or some clubs desperate to "show intent" from midtable) - let's say 35 mil for him. Llorente is clearly washed up and not even used as 2nd option to Kane. He is old, sure, but for 7 mil we'd find suitor from Championship if needed. So that would be 73 million for selling players that have got game time of total 2170 minutes across whole season combined. Plus there is for example Sissoko, who I did not want to include here, as he seems to have found smth in him to play in CM, there is some degree of doubt about Winks as well (though I do not like to sell homegrown players like him, Onomah or KWP, we have to acknowledge that they all have value and might not break into the starting team. selling such players has been our model for quite some time now) - I could see one out of the two sold if high profile CM would be added to the squad. IF (and big if) one of those would be added then we could talk about earning 90 mil for selling players whose combined playing time would be either 3670 or 4328 minutes. So for fundraising there ALSO are other options if needed.

Last edited:
Stepping back here a bit, would you care to explain WHY IN THE WORLD would the club make marquee signing in AM position?!?!?! That sounds utterly stupid, as this is our best line of the team together with GG position. We have luxury of super creative dynamo of Eriksen, very cleaver and technically good Alli who provides both - assists and goals also now we have relentlessly working Son who is on track to produce 2nd 20+ goal season from AM position. And on top of such trio we have Brazil full international who was one of the most creative players in last season CL in Moura, plus Lamela back from injury AND if needed we can play Sissoko there. Why would we spend loads of cash on this postion?

At the same time we rely significantly on Moose health who is on wrong side of 30. Both of our RB options are still bit of question mark, Rose seems to be on his way out and if Kane cant play we have to shift Son from AM to ST. Toby has not signed new contract so it might happen that next year our first back-up CB pick is very uproven 19 year-old Argentine.

ALL of those positions would be more important in the same order than to add one other good AM to the team. Football is more than 4/5 attacking players you know...
Spot on.

Any marquee signing we make is likely to be at CM with Dembele being managed carefully and Winks' injury problems.

Tbh, I think he's one of the most important people in the team.

Even if he never plays he seems like a born winner and that's the type of mentality the squad needs.

I'd definitely say he showed that more than anyone else a few years back against Newcastle on the final day. Clear for all to see that he was the only player not on holiday that day and desperate for us to finish above Woolwich.

He's always had that mentality though and he's only ever played in fierce rivalrys, whether in England, Italy or Argentina.

I assumed that Erik was an unused sub in the game vs Italy. Not so it seems, even tho there were 13 playes on the bench.

They play Spain in Madrid on Tuesday, if he doesn't make that squad either you'd think he'll be missing out on the World Cup, which will be a bit of a kick in the balls.

Unless he can do a Ricky Villa in the cup and get back into Sampaoli's plans that way

I assumed that Erik was an unused sub in the game vs Italy. Not so it seems, even tho there were 13 playes on the bench.

They play Spain in Madrid on Tuesday, if he doesn't make that squad either you'd think he'll be missing out on the World Cup, which will be a bit of a kick in the balls.

Unless he can do a Ricky Villa in the cup and get back into Sampaoli's plans that way
Wouldn’t that create work permit problems?

Well, it is bit tricky to be unused substitution when you are not even called up, isn't it :) ?

The list of recent call-ups are at the Argentinian FA homepage and Coco is not involved.

But looking ahead - preliminary squad size is 30 and you have to be in it to make the cut. Currently there were 27 call-ups. And out of 30 the final 23 man selection has to be made by 14.05 with possible substitutions due to injuries can be made until 24 hrs before kick-off of the first match.

There are some questionable inclusions there - like why would one pick Wet Spam's Lanzini over Lamela for example? But well the fact that Lanzini was involved and got chance to prove himself is still telling smth. But we'll see, have to consider that Lamela has played less than 1000 minutes of first team football in 1,5 years.

Back
Top Bottom