Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sadly he isn't good enough mate. Starting Son, Lucas and Lamela was asking for a shit oerfoamcne today. Eriksen should have started if Lo Celso isn't fit enough regardless of his contract situation. I said that a few days ago and o stand by that. You can't have Lamela, Son and Lucas all at once, that's a Carabao Cup starting lineup behind the striker.

Sorry but it's time to let Lamela go. That's a valuable place in the squad that could go to someone more deserving of it and I say that begrudgingly.

I think a bigger problem was starting Lucas and Son at the same time than starting with Lamela, personally.

Eriksen should have started instead of one of Son/Lucas - I'd have started Son on the bench and brought him on about the 55th minute.

But it is what it is - Lamela is and should always be our 5th or 6th choice when it comes to our attacking players and when everyone is fit, I am sure he'd understand.

Need Dele and Lo Celso fit as soon as possible.

I think a bigger problem was starting Lucas and Son at the same time than starting with Lamela, personally.

Eriksen should have started instead of one of Son/Lucas - I'd have started Son on the bench and brought him on about the 55th minute.

But it is what it is - Lamela is and should always be our 5th or 6th choice when it comes to our attacking players and when everyone is fit, I am sure he'd understand.

Dele makes a huge difference.

Today we were without Vertonghen, Aurier, Ndombele, Eriksen, Dele, Lo Celso from the off who for me make our strongest starting XI.

At the moment Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Lucas & Son add volume to our squad. We can handle having a few of them on the pitch at one time but when over half the starting XI are made up with what in my eyes is our 2nd string we have issues.

I think Poch made a rod for his own back not starting Eriksen today. Big, big mistake especially after showing that he's happy to start him in games against Man City. Manager says we need to stop throwing away silly points yet puts out a lot of 2nd string players. Shot himself in the foot big time today did our gaffer.

Last edited:
This guy definitely has to wear a helmet and elbow pads outside

I've put you on ignore under your Baggio id so you switch to this one now? As told you by DM, take it to the toilet, you refused. I asked you if wanted to meet up and sort this out, you refused because London's too far from Liverpool. So what exactly do you want? To bombard me with messages on here or by DM? Not interested. You're on ignore and if other people don't want to vote you into the bin that's their choice. Now fuck off you Scouse twat.

Today we were without Vertonghen, Aurier, Ndombele, Eriksen, Dele, Lo Celso from the off who for me make our strongest starting XI.

At the moment Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Lucas & Son add volume to our squad. We can handle having a few of them on the pitch at one time but when over half the starting XI are made up with what in my eyes is our 2nd string we have issues.

I think Poch made a rod for his own back not starting Eriksen today. Big, big mistake especially after showing that he's happy to start him in games against Man City. Manager says we need to stop throwing away silly points yet outs out a lot of 2nd string players. Shot himself in the foot big time today did our gaffer.

What did Eriksen do against City that warranted a start?

I've put you on ignore under your Baggio id so you switch to this one now? As told you by DM, take it to the toilet, you refused. I asked you if wanted to meet up and sort this out, you refused because London's too far from Liverpool. So what exactly do you want? To bombard me with messages on here or by DM? Not interested. You're on ignore and if other people don't want to vote you into the bin that's their choice. Now fuck off you Scouse twat.
You’re not right pal, might want to get checked out. Did you wank over this fantasy big man scenario you made up?

There is something frustrating about Lamela’s passing game, he always slows the tempo and lingers just a little too long before releasing the ball which closes the openings.

He does this quite often and it’s so annoying, he’s better being used as an attacker rather than a playmaker.

There's a reason we called on Eriksen off the bench when we were losing today mate, he's the most creative one and as such when at home, against a team that's clearly going to drop deep against you, you need your most creative players if available.

Not selecting Eriksen today was a horseshit decision that I believe cost us 3 very valuable points.

Watch the Villa and Newcastle games - where we played against deeper defending lines and you'll notice that literally 9/10 vertical passes were made by one person... Eriksen. Winks can for the life of him not make a forward pass to create chances and without Eriksen we are playing hand ball around the penalty box, putting it out to Sissoko and Rose on the wings and crossing into the first man...

Perhaps Lo Celso is the man to do it when Eriksen is sold but for now, unless Eriksen is on the pitch, I doubt we'll score a single goal that isn't on a counter attack with Moura or Son or a Kane penalty.

Watch the Villa and Newcastle games - where we played against deeper defending lines and you'll notice that literally 9/10 vertical passes were made by one person... Eriksen. Winks can for the life of him not make a forward pass to create chances and without Eriksen we are playing hand ball around the penalty box, putting it out to Sissoko and Rose on the wings and crossing into the first man...

Perhaps Lo Celso is the man to do it when Eriksen is sold but for now, unless Eriksen is on the pitch, I doubt we'll score a single goal that isn't on a counter attack with Moura or Son or a Kane penalty.

"Can't" and doesn't are two different things.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Winks & Eriksen don't play the same position, so even if CE started it's likely Winks still would too and would be playing a 'recycling' role regardless.

There is something frustrating about Lamela’s passing game, he always slows the tempo and lingers just a little too long before releasing the ball which closes the openings.

He does this quite often and it’s so annoying, he’s better being used as an attacker rather than a playmaker.
Agreed, I like him a lot more on the wings in a 4-2-3-1 than I do with him playing centrally in the "playmaker" position.

"Can't" and doesn't are two different things.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Winks & Eriksen don't play the same position, so even if CE started it's likely Winks still would too and would be playing a 'recycling' role regardless.
The position is irrelevant if the entire team has pushed up to the opposition penalty box and they're standing next to each other and we're chasing the game. Eriksen has been subbed in or moved to the deepest midfielder many, many times and he plays way more vertical passes in the same role.

They are just very different players, both when it comes to how talented they are and what kind of playstyle they have but Winks has never consistently been able to pass forward and I doubt he's just choosing not to play incisive passes when the opportunity arises - he simply doesn't have it in his locker right now.

I think he's a really good passer but he is lacking in vision and confidence but obviously he could be coached/instructed to play more vertically - but he lacks Eriksen's vision.

I don't rate Lamela so maybe it gets in the way of a fair assessment, but he and Rose are for me the epitome of why we are struggling.

I don't blame either but they offer the sweat of lower league Prem teams and not much else on a consistent basis.

I think he held onto the ball so much because he was waiting for movement. There wasn't any and he doesn't like making the simple pass.

He gave the ball away for the same reason. He wanted movement, no one showed and so he tries eye-of-the-needle type stuff. Could he have taken a leaf out of Wink's book and simply passed side ways? Yeah, probably but that isn't his game, he wants to hurt teams.

Before the game I thought he would excel due to the pace and movement of Son and Moura, but they unfortunately didn't show. Can an assister get assists if the attacker isn't putting in the effort and intent + 10 players defending? Probably not, as a result I think it's a harsh game to critique him on.

Him and KWP were showing for the ball constantly and were at least trying to make things happen, meanwhile Kane and Moura may as well have been sat around a camp fire roasting marshmallows.

The position is irrelevant if the entire team has pushed up to the opposition penalty box and they're standing next to each other and we're chasing the game. Eriksen has been subbed in or moved to the deepest midfielder many, many times and he plays way more vertical passes in the same role.

They are just very different players, both when it comes to how talented they are and what kind of playstyle they have but Winks has never consistently been able to pass forward and I doubt he's just choosing not to play incisive passes when the opportunity arises - he simply doesn't have it in his locker right now.

I think he's a really good passer but he is lacking in vision and confidence but obviously he could be coached/instructed to play more vertically - but he lacks Eriksen's vision.

I'm disputing that though..... He started off as a #8 and showed a more 'vertical' focus as a result. (Like I said "can't" vs doesn't)

It still boils down to what "role" they've been deployed to play.... HW was still our deepest MF and tasked with keeping the ball moving. I just don't see the deeper value in comparing Eriksen to Winks... Why not compare Winks to Dier? ...Or Eriksen to the subject of this thread, Lamela?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom