Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hate Dele, and want him out of the club. I am not saying that to annoy you or anyone else. I just don't think there is any point beating around the bush on the matter.

Just checked his stats for this season and I see he wins an average of 0.8 PL aerial duels per game. He does have some aerial ability, but not with his back to goal. The way I see his game, it depends on ghosting into space/goalscoring positions (for aerial balls or otherwise). To ask him to be a fulcrum of any sort is not his game and never will be, IMO.
I'm not asking/expecting him to be the absolute fulcrum. Merely asking that we play to some of his strengths if we insist in playing long balls, then the best person we have right now in the team is Dele. To be claer not asking him to perform what Kane does back to goal, but asking him to:
a) Flick the ball (head, feet, knee, whatever) onto to Son or Lucas running in behind either side of him.
b) If played to feet, then lay off to Lo Celso/Lamela behind (pass then move, or if ball played through to Son/Lucas he should stand still and cut back is then on)
c) A longer direct ball over the top of the defence for his customary run
d) Aurier is hitting pinpoint cross after pinpoint cross every game (prior to his actual assist last night he put the ball on the head of a Spurs player THREE times, one of them was Dele which he won but headed down onto his defender for a corner).

Whether you like him or not he is far more capable of playing as the central player getting on the end of our long ball bombardment than what we are getting from Lucas and Son right now. We've evidence of this, there is no evidence of it with Son or Lucas. The problem isn't Dele, it's Son and Lucas in this long ball shithouse of Jose's.

I'm not asking/expecting him to be the absolute fulcrum. Merely asking that we play to some of his strengths if we insist in playing long balls, then the best person we have right now in the team is Dele. To be claer not asking him to perform what Kane does back to goal, but asking him to:
a) Flick the ball (head, feet, knee, whatever) onto to Son or Lucas running in behind either side of him.
b) If played to feet, then lay off to Lo Celso/Lamela behind (pass then move, or if ball played through to Son/Lucas he should stand still and cut back is then on)
c) A longer direct ball over the top of the defence for his customary run
d) Aurier is hitting pinpoint cross after pinpoint cross every game (prior to his actual assist last night he put the ball on the head of a Spurs player THREE times, one of them was Dele which he won but headed down onto his defender for a corner).

Whether you like him or not he is far more capable of playing as the central player getting on the end of our long ball bombardment than what we are getting from Lucas and Son right now. We've evidence of this, there is no evidence of it with Son or Lucas. The problem isn't Dele, it's Son and Lucas in this long ball shithouse of Jose's.
Moura wins more aerial duels per game than Alli, you know. I think this long-ball talk is overstated, by the way. We spend plenty of time trying to play on the deck. Do you object to the goalkeeper going long with most of his kickouts?

Last edited:
Moura wins more aerial duels per game than Alli, you know. I think this long-ball talk is an overstated, by the way. We spend plenty of time trying to play on the deck. Do you object to the goalkeeper going long with most of his kickouts?
Sure that's probably because of where the two are playing. Dele has in the last few games been playing deeper again because we don't have a midfield again, so likely he's scrapping for it as opposed to it being aimed at him to attack???

We are playing more long balls under Jose than ever before, that's a fact.

I absolutely have no problem with a long pass and there's the difference. Could watch Toby or Hoddle ping balls around the park all day long, but that's not what we are doing.

There are reasons why we are doing it, we don't have a midfield, I get that, it was the same with Poch our long balls also had increased past 18 months under him too for the same reason. My distrust and fear is that Jose is known for it as his way. So if we got our midfield fixed would we still be doing it? My fear is yes but would need to obviously wait and see. (I didn't like it under Poch too).

We've seen us play on the deck, first half yesterday was OK, other games too have been OK. BUT until we can do this for 90mins it's not OK and the moan from me will prevail as to will the label of long ball hoofers.

Yes, I hate 'keepers going long as usually ball is won straight away by the oppo. If we are setting traps to win the 2nd ball and the 'keeper is targeting one or two players with a long ball then great, but not much evidence of that.

BTW - Did you notice how good Lloris was with a couple of very accurate long passes out to Aurier in the first half!!

What you gonna do then John? Continue pumping the ball up to blokes that simply can't play this way? Because what we are doing right now isn't working, or do you seriously think it is?
The 'tricks and flicks' of Dele don't work either. The amount of times I heard people shouting 'keep it simple' to him last night was damning.

The 'tricks and flicks' of Dele don't work either. The amount of times I heard people shouting 'keep it simple' to him last night was damning.
But they have when he has been played higher up the pitch (his first two seasons as a 2nd striker). They are still low percentage, but most things are when higher up the pitch. A player that doesn't attempt these things higher up the pitch doesn't break the lines of the oppo.

He's NEVER kept it simple this is the point, this is how he plays and when pushed up it's why is prolific. Ironically he's measured against those first two seasons output, even though he doesn't play in that position anymore (until Jose played him back when he first arrived).

Question is still out there: What else do you think we should do then?

There are reasons why we are doing it, we don't have a midfield, I get that, it was the same with Poch our long balls also had increased past 18 months under him too for the same reason. My distrust and fear is that Jose is known for it as his way. So if we got our midfield fixed would we still be doing it? My fear is yes but would need to obviously wait and see. (I didn't like it under Poch too).
I think we see more long balls against better sides and I am putting it down to our midfield injury/fitness/headnotright issues. If it persists, I'll be calling for his head, too. I hate that stuff.
Sure that's probably because of where the two are playing. Dele has in the last few games been playing deeper again because we don't have a midfield again, so likely he's scrapping for it as opposed to it being aimed at him to attack???
Possibly. Although I think Alli doesn't fancy aerial duels with his back to goal. By the way, I am looking at the game again here, and as you would expect, he is taking up positions that a regular #9 would when he is anticipating crosses into the box. So I don't see what additional benefits he would bring to the table in that respect if he were selected as our #9.

I am personally a fan of Deli. Very different from any of the players we have and he is inventive. I think the issue is that he needs strong players to be around him. He can’t be the focal point, he needs to be the person in the spaces, getting the assists and getting some goals. I won’t be able to use this excuse for too much longer but he is only 23 still and he has the best years ahead of him. I think he would suit a false 9 role but he needs to be on the recieving end of our counterattacks not creating it. He can be very slow on the ball when he has time but when he’s in tight spaces he’s very productive. Not sure what the future holds for him at this club as you almost need to creat a position for him as Son and Kane are automatic starters.

I hate Dele, and want him out of the club. I am not saying that to annoy you or anyone else. I just don't think there is any point beating around the bush on the matter.

Just checked his stats for this season and I see he wins an average of 0.8 PL aerial duels per game. He does have some aerial ability, but not with his back to goal. The way I see his game, it depends on ghosting into space/goalscoring positions (for aerial balls or otherwise). To ask him to be a fulcrum of any sort is not his game and never will be, IMO.

😱

Question is still out there: What else do you think we should do then?
If I had my way, he'd be out the door. Any half-decent striker could do what he is doing, IMO. A goal here and there and very little contribution to our build-up play. I would take 4-4-2 with a pacy forward alongside Kane over this utter ballache of having the PL's slowest strikeforce. I find it soul-destroying.

I think we see more long balls against better sides and I am putting it down to our midfield injury/fitness/headnotright issues. If it persists, I'll be calling for his head, too. I hate that stuff.

Possibly. Although I think Alli doesn't fancy aerial duels with his back to goal. By the way, I am looking at the game again here, and as you would expect, he is taking up positions that a regular #9 would when he is anticipating crosses into the box. So I don't see what additional benefits he would bring to the table in that respect if he were selected as our #9.
For me I want planed moves. We've clearly worked on these under Poch in the past, with so many goals scored replicating passages of play. So, whether that pulling to back post, front post or penalty spot we need to construct something. Dele's late runs are planned, they aren't him thinking to himself what shall I do next, they are situational plays. (City are by far the best team on the planet at this).

Sadly Jose doesn't do this and has been called out for it by his own players in the past.

I think you might be right when his back is to goal, but that's not been evidence to much as he's usually the guy running past the player that's got his back to goal. We have seen however that he's a one-touch player when his back is to goal (not as a target man per sey but in the build-up), see the Ajax last min goal by way of example. I still think he can use his height to head the ball behind for Lucas/Son to run onto, or he can draw a foul (used to be one of the most fouled players in the league).

If I had my way, he'd be out the door. Any half-decent striker could do what he is doing, IMO. A goal here and there and very little contribution to our build-up play. I would take 4-4-2 with a pacy forward alongside Kane over this utter ballache of having the PL's slowest strikeforce. I find it soul-destroying.
But Kane's is injured and might be out for the rest of the season.

What you gonna do NOW is the question?

For me I want planed moves. We've clearly worked on these under Poch in the past, with so many goals scored replicating passages of play. So, whether that pulling to back post, front post or penalty spot we need to construct something. Dele's late runs are planned, they aren't him thinking to himself what shall I do next, they are situational plays. (City are by far the best team on the planet at this).
I thought we showed a lot more penetration in his first few games but I don't quite know what has happened since then. Even Dele was trying to take it on the half-turn and play through balls. I was overjoyed. I don't quite know what has happened to our attacking play over the last month or so. Is it that Mourinho's initial tactics took the opposition by surprise? Seems to be the case.

I think you are giving Poch far too much credit. I thought we were overreliant on improvisation in the final third. I saw it as a damning failure of his coaching, to be honest with you.

Sadly Jose doesn't do this and has been called out for it by his own players in the past.
Have they? I would like to look into that. Mind you, I am hoping that Sacramento can help us there, because I liked what I saw of Lille in the earlier part of the season. Their forwards are very erratic, but when they broke, it was at lightning speed.

But Kane's is injured and might be out for the rest of the season.

What you gonna do NOW is the question?
Me? Oh, I thought you were asking John. I would buy or loan a striker (2, if possible) in this window, Guido πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ Guido πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦ , and if that doesn't happen, I am going to be hopping mad with the bald man.

You pay a lot more attention to the business side of things than I do. Why do you think Levy is seemingly reluctant to do anything other than loan deals at the moment? Is it FFP-related or what? Or are ENIC looking to sell?

'tricks and flicks'... rightio :thumbup:
Were you in the South lower an'all?
'Cos every time he tried a 'flick' he was getting DOGS ABUSE from the 2 blokes behind me... until he scored!

Then again, the same bloke was complaining about all the 'Chinkys' in the West Stand when Son scored... failing to notice (or maybe not) there were 3 South Koreans directly in front of him!

So who cares what a Prick like that thinks about Dele?

Were you in the South lower an'all?
'Cos every time he tried a 'flick' he was getting DOGS ABUSE from the 2 blokes behind me... until he scored!

Then again, the same bloke was complaining about all the 'Chinkys' in the West Stand when Son scored... failing to notice (or maybe not) there were 3 South Koreans directly in front of him!

So who cares what a Prick like that thinks about Dele?
No, I was in the West corner.

I hope you reported the racism you heard?

I thought we showed a lot more penetration in his first few games but I don't quite know what has happened since then. Even Dele was trying to take it on the half-turn and play through balls. I was overjoyed. I don't quite know what has happened to our attacking play over the last month or so. Is it that Mourinho's initial tactics took the opposition by surprise? Seems to be the case.

I think you are giving Poch far too much credit. I thought we were overreliant on improvisation in the final third. I saw it as a damning failure of his coaching, to be honest with you.

Have they? I would like to look into that. Mind you, I am hoping that Sacramento can help us there, because I liked what I saw of Lille in the earlier part of the season. Their forwards are very erratic, but when they broke, it was at lightning speed.
From the book The Special One (if you haven't read it I can't recommend it highly enough, probably the best football book I've ever read, might give it another read now he here):
EOJrVdHXUAAcDZ-

We scored loads of goals with identical passages of play, be that in build-up or execution or both. (Even Kane dropping deep to take the ball turning and ping a crossfield ball has been played scores of times and resulted in some beautiful attacks and goals, numerous others). What's known as an identity.

All down to Ban Davies apparently.

Back
Top Bottom