Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair I find that he's had a lot less of those since Jose took over. Not saying he's the driving force behind it, could just be coincidental.
There was a point where every time he was near a player it could end poorly for us.

Every little error (which all 22 men on a football pitch make continuously every week) gets scrutinised when it's Aurier though.

Its sad.

A misplaced cross becomes "another shit cross" despite every footballer in world football putting in misplaced cross after misplaced cross every week.

Making a foul becomes "fucking stupid" when every defender commits a foul almost every single week.

Etc.

Every little error (which all 22 men on a football pitch make continuously every week) gets scrutinised when it's Aurier though.

Its sad.

A misplaced cross becomes "another shit cross" despite every footballer in world football putting in misplaced cross after misplaced cross every week.

Making a foul becomes "fucking stupid" when every defender commits a foul almost every single week.

Etc.
I'm starting to think there's a bit of racism in Aurier criticism, some cunts out here have to criticize every little mistakes the guy does.

I'm starting to think there's a bit of racism in Aurier criticism, some cunts out here have to criticize every little mistakes the guy does.
I don't think it necessarily is racism. But football fandom seems to only operate in extremes and players ability seems to be static. Either you are shit, or you are great. There is no in between and you are not allowed to fluctuate.

Some of the hate/flack probably stems from people who were not happy with us signing him to begin with and they are walking into every game with the expectation that he will be bad, so they see him doing bad things.

Some might be driven by racism but I think most is just how "dumb" football fandom can be in general.

Or an agenda.

We have a few black players such as Sissoko, Sessegnon and Rose.....

Oh wait!!

In truth I think frustration more than anything else but the bloke has probably been our best defender in the round this season so yes, it's boring now and OTT.

Been consistently good since Mourinho has arrived. Makes it so difficult for player to go past him. Both him and Locelso put in so much more effort than others.
Was good before mate, only people simply can't judge a player on a game by game basis. A "mistake" would be placed on the player who last touched the ball (Own goal his fault apparently = not Toby's for miss-kicking it to him in the first place. Red card "mindless idiot" = Bertrand dived to get him sent off; Concedes penalty against Real Madrid = he was trying to prevent a 99% goalscoring chance, giving us a 30% chance pen will not be converted; Foul throws = Who the fuck gives a shit?!).

All this got in the way of watching how he played, not bothering to notice whether he gave us something that we desperately lacked with the incumbent. Someone who has the technical ability on the ball, which translated to being able to take the ball under pressure from the oppo and not shit himself, receive the ball on the half-turn enabling him to face-up the oppo and go past him, play out through a press and thus give us a bit of control back. Take on his opponent 1v1. Stong in the tackle (coming out on top of individual battles). Has the athletic ability to affect both ends of the pitch throughout the game. And who is one of the best crossers of the ball I've seen in ages (and as most of you know by now I hate crosses!!). His delivery is varied, from the touchline deep into oppo territory, the early ball from outside of the 18yrd box, whipped into the front post, pulled back to middle or edge of the box and back post.

All of this has been evidenced in his games prior to Jose's arrival, it's in this very thread and anothers who we shouldn't speak of anymore.

It’s not racism, but it is over the top. Aurier is a good player and a decent premier league RB. Is he perfect? , no. But perfect does not play for Spurs.

A bit of mob rule dislike, which is unfair, but nothing racist about it.

So does TAA..... He's gash in defense.

No one talks about it because Liverpool always win.

That's probably the problem with people when judging Aurier - you're only as good as your last game or your teams performance really.

Aurier is good. Very hard to actually beat him and not many will relish a 50/50 with him.

He does have the tendency to misplace passes that aren't particularly hard and due to him being more advanced there's a fair bit of space behind him at times but that's a system, not him.

That's probably the problem with people when judging Aurier - you're only as good as your last game or your teams performance really.

Aurier is good. Very hard to actually beat him and not many will relish a 50/50 with him.

He does have the tendency to misplace passes that aren't particularly hard and due to him being more advanced there's a fair bit of space behind him at times but that's a system, not him.

Mostly agree with this but the last bit is him. Better awareness of his ability and opponents fixes that.

For sure he is strong in the tackle.

In the round this season he is in the plus zone. No question.

Possibly, but there's still a strong stench of people not being prepared to revise their original judgement of the player.....

Sanchez, Davies..... It's nothing new.

On Twitter its toxic. Some people will never take to him, they are actually hoping he gets a red or gives away a penalty to make them right. They don't care about facts

Had a conversation with some mates last night and POTY candidates. I think Aurier would 100% be in the top 3 and couldn't argue with him being No 1 at this stage. Calling him 'player of the season' might be a stretch as 2019/2020, as a whole for the club, has been drifting between bang average and utter shite. However can't think of a more consistent player.

I think he is decent. I would even go as far as to say that he is a decent defender, so I was perplexed to hear Mou say that he is a winger.

He’s not a favourite of mine as he worries me when he makes challenges in our area but he has improved under José and gives 100%
I think he is a wing back rather than a FB but with the injuries we have needs must and this could also apply to Sess

Back
Top Bottom