Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harry Kane says Tottenham have not learned from their mistakes after they threw away a 2-0 lead against Olympiakos in the Champions League.

Despite leading through Kane's penalty and Lucas Moura's emphatic finish, last season's beaten finalists were held to a 2-2 draw in Greece.

"You can see why the manager is frustrated," said England forward Kane.

"He has been here for five years now and we are still making similar mistakes as we were the first year."

Tottenham also conceded a 2-0 lead in the north London derby at Woolwich on 1 September, and Kane said the team had to improve.

"We are not young any more, we are not inexperienced, we have played in big games for club and country," he added.

"We have to try to find a way to get around it and improve and get better. That is all we can try to do."

Nail on the head from Harry. It feels like 2013/14 all over again tbh.

But he is fcuking part of it. Part of that mentality issue.

Something is right, obviously but too much is wrong.

Inherent failure or mentality flaw only the Lord knows but I am certain that we could be 3 up and I would not sit comfortably.

Individually we should be better but collectively we should be supreme, based mostly on the amount of experience in the squad.

It's being clinical and it's the lack of that leader on the pitch. If Pochettino cannot see that (he doesn't seem to) then I worry for him more than I dorry for us.

Last edited:
Poch post Olympiacos:

I think it’s easy to explain. When we are not showing that intensity that the competition demands we struggle. We are not talking about quality. We’re talking about being focused, concentrated, aggressive, anticipating the action. How many times did we anticipate today? How many times we were not proactive like we were against Palace. That is a very good example in three days, it’s a massive difference. It’s not about tactics, it’s not about quality players, it’s about the quality of preparing yourself to be ready to fight. At this type of level you need to match the opponent in terms of intensity, aggression, in excitement and motivation and then is going to appear your quality when you are connected with the game.

That’s the first demand you need to work with. It’s not only the responsibility of one person. It’s everyone’s responsibility and it’s not possible to, in three days, how we start the game today be a massive difference. That is my disappointment. I feel disappointed for everyone. Of course we can say after that we scored twice and maybe in the second half we played better, but I think from the beginning of this season we are conceding a lot of chances, a lot of goals and we need to change that way. I think the only way we can change is demanding more from ourselves and that is the way we are going to change, trying to be more consistent over different days, showing more performances like Palace and not like today.

I know we conceded early in the 2nd half but we did look a lot more aggressive, willing to close down, force them into conceding possession and mistakes etc.

It's tough but at the moment, whilst Tanguy adjusts I think we need to hope Winks and Sissoko can ride the wave. Easy Ndombele into home games, get the wind into his sails and get Parrott on the bench for a genuine strike option if Kane looks a little leggy. He's all heart but even he occasionally needs to come off after 65-70 minutes.

It was hot out there tonight which will play a part but still for the life of me I can't see why he's resting Rose and especially Aurier so much so he leaves them in England.

I love Winks but the longer it goes on, the more I thinkwe severely lack a defensive shield in CM.

Movement off the ball, dummies, one touch play required. For all of our pushing in the 2nd half once again we found ourselves nowhere near bombarding the oppositions goalkeeper anywhere near enough. Our style and play has become a little too regimented, it see,a to lack genuine ideas which gives me a concern with us looking rather feeble at the back and through the middle. Dele and Eriksen are fast becoming attacking issues for us, I never imagined seeing myself type that a while ago, we need to find enjoyment, craftiness and verve up top but at the moment it's all just too much of a grind.

Onto the next one.

Poch is saying that he sent the players out with a plan to execute but they didn't follow the instructions.

Well, that means either the plan was too fucking complicated or the players simply don't give a crap what the manager is saying. Either way, it's not looking good

But he is fcuking part of it. Part of that memtality issue.

Something is right, obviously but too much is wrong.

Inherent failure or mentality flaw only the Lord knows but I am certain that we could be 3 up and I would not sit comfortably.

Individually we should be better but collectively we should be supreme, based mostly on the amount of experience in the squad.

It's being clinical and it's the lack of that leader on the pitch. If Pochettino cannot see that (he doesn't seem to) then I worry for him more than I dorry for us.

Playing Davinson whilst he still clearly has more changers than good in him isn't going to help the cause and tonight was the first time I saw our Roller Jan looking a bit like it's creeping up on him.

A lot of TLC required in the defensive areas over the next 12 months. Toby staying will help ease the pain significantly if a deal can be done but I doubt it ever will.

I can't help but think it's partly a case of a group who really believed in the plan and the fact it hasn't yet come to fruition has chipped away at their faith. Some of them just don't believe any more. Poch can stick crystal pyramids in the loos and do reiki on their football boots but it's not going to bring back that wide-eyed feeling of destiny they once had. The youngsters have it as witnessed by their efforts in the pre-season but we need more new blood willing to sign up to the cause and ship out the infidels.

Fook me it is miserable at Spurs. The manager is miserable. The players are miserable. Does anyone actually want to be here? Only Kane and moura are true patriots. Somethings got to change. It looks like the poch era is nearing the end of its life cycle. It has been half a decade. Not even bitter, just a shame really. Can't even connect to some of these players anymore. It's clear that so many want out.

Fook me it is miserable at Spurs. The manager is miserable. The players are miserable. Does anyone actually want to be here? Only Kane and moura are true patriots. Somethings got to change. It looks like the poch era is nearing the end of its life cycle. It has been half a decade. Not even bitter, just a shame really. Can't even connect to some of these players anymore. It's clear that so many want out.

and you're miserable ...

I can't help but think it's partly a case of a group who really believed in the plan and the fact it hasn't yet come to fruition has chipped away at their faith. Some of them just don't believe any more. Poch can stick crystal pyramids in the loos and do reiki on their football boots but it's not going to bring back that wide-eyed feeling of destiny they once had. The youngsters have it as witnessed by their efforts in the pre-season but we need more new blood willing to sign up to the cause and ship out the infidels.

I think things are Ok in all honesty, it's just got a little bit of a stale feeling. Losing Mousa Dembele was like having your arse ripping out and we've really struggled for dominance in midfield to blend with prettiness without him.

Eriksen looks like he hasn't got sharp enough teeth anymore, I never feel like he's going to take a shot on or that he walks onto a field with genuine venom and fight. I think he's an excellent professional but it feels a lot like he is about to marry his 'if all else fails' bird. His heart doesn't pound anymore and it's like watching a boxer whose eyes don't have that spark.

I actually think we will be fine but we lack a bit of bounce at the moment. Everything seems to lack genuine teamwork off the ball and responsibility. It's very much pass it to Lucas and see what he can do, pass it to Sonny and hope something occurs there's no overlapping runs to take players away from people, no sacrifice off the ball to create space or confusion for the opposition. It's just lacking a bit of sparkle but I get that it's a long season and these things can happen. The sooner Lo Celso comes back the better as I think he could have added something to take the heat off.

and you're miserable ...

Say what you like but I thought poch was going to leave in the summer and weighing up his options but he stayed but I can't see him here next season. He looks disillusioned and so do the players and considering that the results aren't actually that bad suggests it's bigger and more complex than just performances. It looks like the young squad that have been playing together for the 5 years have grown up and no longer believe in the club and are just going through the motions.

Say what you like but I thought poch was going to leave in the summer and weighing up his options but he stayed but I can't see him here next season. He looks disillusioned and so do the players and considering that the results aren't actually that bad suggests it's bigger and more complex than just performances. It looks like the young squad that have been playing together for the 5 years have grown up and no longer believe in the club and are just going through the motions.

as I said you're just being miserable - 3rd in the EPL an away point in the CL ... feck it's a total disaster !!!!!!

When (I emphasise the word because I do not think there is an agenda on his tenure with us yet by any means) Poch does leave the club and moves to another, wherever he goes he will never be given five years to put silverware or a title on the table ever again. The teams consistently sitting at the top level of Europe have owners and fans far less forgiving or patient than we have been. His CV is missing one thing and without it he will always be regarded as a manager with "talent" and "potential", but the clock on his managerial career at the highest levels of the game is ticking.

Last edited:
Some stern words from Poch. Clearly not happy with their application tonight. Though I am getting a bit tired of the same old cheap clichéd talk from Kane, etc, "we need to do this, we need to do that.." Fucking show it and do it then!

Keep hearing Poch harp on about this need for "aggressivity" (can't someone teach him to use the more appropriate noun ffs?) and yet the players revert back to just plodding about for yet another slow ponderous first half. I'm sorry Poch, but isn't it your job to get them following your instructions for crying out loud? And if they can't /won't bloody bin them.

I expect a fucking lot more intent and tempo against Leicester...

Last edited:
Harry Kane says Tottenham have not learned from their mistakes after they threw away a 2-0 lead against Olympiakos in the Champions League.

Despite leading through Kane's penalty and Lucas Moura's emphatic finish, last season's beaten finalists were held to a 2-2 draw in Greece.

"You can see why the manager is frustrated," said England forward Kane.

"He has been here for five years now and we are still making similar mistakes as we were the first year."

Tottenham also conceded a 2-0 lead in the north London derby at Woolwich on 1 September, and Kane said the team had to improve.

"We are not young any more, we are not inexperienced, we have played in big games for club and country," he added.

"We have to try to find a way to get around it and improve and get better. That is all we can try to do."

Nail on the head from Harry. It feels like 2013/14 all over again tbh.

I said earlier Kane looks miserable and has done all season, even for England, he barely even celebrates when he scores now.

I think he is depressed about spurs, he is also a supporter as well as a player and maybe he is feeling just as shit as us about it all.

I also believe he probably thinks deep down he might not win something here and whilst he loves the club I imagine he doesn't want to go the rest of his career not winning trophies.

That's the situation we are in currently, we look nowhere near a trophy, it would take a huge slice of luck to win either the CL or PL as things stand.

“It is not possible how we started tonight and it is a massive difference to Saturday. It’s a massive disappointment. We can talk about scoring twice and playing better second half, but this season we are conceding a lot of chances and a lot of goals. We need to change that. The only way is to be more demanding. Training needs to be harder. Psychologically harder.”

A pretty damning indictment. A lot of work to do...

Poch is saying that he sent the players out with a plan to execute but they didn't follow the instructions.

Well, that means either the plan was too fucking complicated or the players simply don't give a crap what the manager is saying. Either way, it's not looking good
And it certainly isn't the former.

He rested Serge, Sonny, and Lamela. All of which featured heavily against Palace. We didn't follow the plan because half the team had changed. Sometimes I feel like we are the only team that changes formation and players en masse but I'm really not sure about other teams.

Oh well, let's see what grumpy trots out this weekend. COYS

I couldn't help but wonder if we are going to see Poch start experimenting with the starters and overall lineups. Some players just don't look up to it and I would frankly prefer a less experienced and more fringe player if they are going to give their all instead of flogging the same players if they aren't going to follow the system and play at the level required of them.

The main problem is Eriksen. Apparently he lost the ball to the opposition 22 times today, more than any other play. He is not giving 100%, this has been going on for too long, I would rather have a fully committed player than him in the starting XI. It’s shocking from Poch dropping Walker and Toby in the past and got rid of Tripps when all doing their best on the pitch but Eriksen is still untouchable.

Back
Top Bottom