Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Totti already shown why this argument is dumb. You're saying that Alonso is one of the GOATs with this stat based logic.

It's too simplistic. There's not a stat for how many opportunities we miss from Davies not attacking his man, for how much width we lose out on which affects the ENTIRE attack from back to front, for how much momentum is not capitalised on by having no threat from anywhere other down the middle which can easily be packed etc.

Excuse me are people confusing Danny Rose with Marcelo?

I think you all need to reign it in a bit.

Danny Rose creates less than Davies. Fact.

Call it a pointless stat all you want but it wouldn’t be so pointless if Rose had 12 assists and 6 goals now would it. Jesus

All the chances we didn’t create with Davies?
Errr what?
Have you those numbers for Rose then, who has never once put in a cross on the run in ten years of football....no thought not

TLDR: My thoughts on CM, LB, RB, CB, AM/STR, and GK, respectively.

Our central midfield options are not the best and need to be upgraded. At DM, we are strong with Dier and a now healthy Wanyama and have other options to play there. For whomever is going to play next to them, we need an upgrade. Dembele is brilliant, but he isn't the player he used to be and is a serious injury concern. Winks hasn't been healthy enough to improve on the glimpses he has shown. Sissoko is a good squad option, but he isn't the solution. Our priority should be to bring in a ball playing CM, with either Sissoko or Dembele leaving. As crazy as it sounds, I'd probably prefer Dembele to make way. He is brilliant, yet he cannot stay healthy. Sissoko offers multiple positions - CM, DM, AM, RWB - while Dembele offers CM and DM. Furthermore, Sissoko, for us at least, hasn't been an injury concern. I imagine both are on relatively similar wages and Dembele could extract a 10m fee from some club in Italy or China.

There has been a lot of debate about LB, but I don't particularly understand it. Seemingly, Rose wants to move on and hopefully we can get a large fee based on last season. This leaves us with Davies and whether or not is "first choice," shouldn't be a question now. We should bring in the best LB that offers pace and width that we can find. Whether Davies or that LB is "first choice," should be decided in September rather than on who we buy. Always keep challenging the players and let Davies take another step up, like he has many times before, and beat out the new player. This gives us 2 competent LBs that will challenge each other.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trippier move on after this season for a big fee. I think he would command a big fee from a PL club, which would allow KWP to have more of a prominent role and maximizing funds for other areas.

As Alderweireld looks to be leaving, I think we should bring in an experienced veteran that can give us some type of winning mentality. I don't want this CB to be blocking Foyth or Sanchez and allow Vertonghen some breathing room. Ideally, we bring back CCV and he competes with Foyth for 3rd/4th and the veteran slots in when needed. Evans has been tossed around and I wouldn't mind him, but someone like him would be good.

Regarding AMs, if Sessegnon is available at a somewhat reasonable price and Pochetino feels he could have a Dele like impact, then go ahead and get him. I'd be perfectly happy not bringing in another AM and letting Lamela get healthy and Lucas get acclimated, but if the right AM does present himself, I'm all for it. That said, if we are going to bring in an AM, I'd want someone with pace to burn and unfortunately, I think Lamela is the player to make way. Lamela is one of my favorites on the team, yet he has failed to stay healthy and hasn't had the impact that Dele, Eriksen, Son have had and I've liked what Lucas has brought to the team so far. Maybe, Poch thinks that we have room and game time for 6 AMs, and if so great, but I can't see that happening. Maybe, we do bring in that 6th AM and keep Lamela and play a false 9 when Kane isn't playing. Jansen and Llorente move on and we have Kane + 6 AMs, that may work.

I imagine that Vorm will move on after this season to play as the #1 GK before he retires, and good for him. Gazzaniga was brought in and looked good at shot stopping but seemed not to be that composed in his one appearance. Hopefully, we can progress and become the #2. I would like us to continue to scout for a GK of the future - Lloris is 31, not old for a GK, but seems to be regressing a bit.

Out:
Dembele - 10m
Rose - 35m
Alderweireld - 50m
Vorm - 5m
Jansen - 10m
Llorente - 5m
Trippier - 25m
---------------------------------
140m

In:
CM
LB
CB
AM

I'm confident we can spend big on a CM, AM, and LB and bring in 3 quality players that will improve our squad and have a positive impact. I'm expecting to improve on this season, even with a few first team players moving on.

For a midtable club that would be fine but not for a top 4 side looking to go higher.

You must be pretty pissed of with Poch then.....yet I’ve never seen you slate him for holding us back. Why didn’t he sign decent full backs last summer? Why didn’t he sign decent full backs in January?
Why didn’t you want new full backs in January? NOBODY wanted new full backs, but now you’ve all had a lightbulb moment because it means no one has to slate Kane’s form, or Poch for playing him.

Laughable tripe, we came second last year by the way and lost one and won 11 of our last 12 games with Davies in the team.
But don’t let that stop you

You must be pretty pissed of with Poch then.....yet I’ve never seen you slate him for holding us back. Why didn’t he sign decent full backs last summer? Why didn’t he sign decent full backs in January?
Why didn’t you want new full backs in January? NOBODY wanted new full backs, but now you’ve all had a lightbulb moment because it means no one has to slate Kane’s form, or Poch for playing him.

Laughable tripe, we came second last year by the way and lost one and won 11 of our last 12 games with Davies in the team.
But don’t let that stop you
Actually many of us said right at the start of the season we had problems at fullback. It was most noticeable when Davies and Trippier were dominated in losses by Bellerin/Kolisinac and Moses/Alonso.

Poch probably hoped Rose wouldn't be a lard who failed to come close to last season and that Aurier wouldn't struggle so much. Not that unreasonable.

That being said I don't necessarily think fullback is a priority because I still have some hope for Aurier to come good, and Rose to get back to his best. And if that happens Davies and Trippier are the best level backups you could possibly ask for. The problem arises when we are reliant on them in our best XI.

TLDR: My thoughts on CM, LB, RB, CB, AM/STR, and GK, respectively.

Our central midfield options are not the best and need to be upgraded. At DM, we are strong with Dier and a now healthy Wanyama and have other options to play there. For whomever is going to play next to them, we need an upgrade. Dembele is brilliant, but he isn't the player he used to be and is a serious injury concern. Winks hasn't been healthy enough to improve on the glimpses he has shown. Sissoko is a good squad option, but he isn't the solution. Our priority should be to bring in a ball playing CM, with either Sissoko or Dembele leaving. As crazy as it sounds, I'd probably prefer Dembele to make way. He is brilliant, yet he cannot stay healthy. Sissoko offers multiple positions - CM, DM, AM, RWB - while Dembele offers CM and DM. Furthermore, Sissoko, for us at least, hasn't been an injury concern. I imagine both are on relatively similar wages and Dembele could extract a 10m fee from some club in Italy or China.

There has been a lot of debate about LB, but I don't particularly understand it. Seemingly, Rose wants to move on and hopefully we can get a large fee based on last season. This leaves us with Davies and whether or not is "first choice," shouldn't be a question now. We should bring in the best LB that offers pace and width that we can find. Whether Davies or that LB is "first choice," should be decided in September rather than on who we buy. Always keep challenging the players and let Davies take another step up, like he has many times before, and beat out the new player. This gives us 2 competent LBs that will challenge each other.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trippier move on after this season for a big fee. I think he would command a big fee from a PL club, which would allow KWP to have more of a prominent role and maximizing funds for other areas.

As Alderweireld looks to be leaving, I think we should bring in an experienced veteran that can give us some type of winning mentality. I don't want this CB to be blocking Foyth or Sanchez and allow Vertonghen some breathing room. Ideally, we bring back CCV and he competes with Foyth for 3rd/4th and the veteran slots in when needed. Evans has been tossed around and I wouldn't mind him, but someone like him would be good.

Regarding AMs, if Sessegnon is available at a somewhat reasonable price and Pochetino feels he could have a Dele like impact, then go ahead and get him. I'd be perfectly happy not bringing in another AM and letting Lamela get healthy and Lucas get acclimated, but if the right AM does present himself, I'm all for it. That said, if we are going to bring in an AM, I'd want someone with pace to burn and unfortunately, I think Lamela is the player to make way. Lamela is one of my favorites on the team, yet he has failed to stay healthy and hasn't had the impact that Dele, Eriksen, Son have had and I've liked what Lucas has brought to the team so far. Maybe, Poch thinks that we have room and game time for 6 AMs, and if so great, but I can't see that happening. Maybe, we do bring in that 6th AM and keep Lamela and play a false 9 when Kane isn't playing. Jansen and Llorente move on and we have Kane + 6 AMs, that may work.

I imagine that Vorm will move on after this season to play as the #1 GK before he retires, and good for him. Gazzaniga was brought in and looked good at shot stopping but seemed not to be that composed in his one appearance. Hopefully, we can progress and become the #2. I would like us to continue to scout for a GK of the future - Lloris is 31, not old for a GK, but seems to be regressing a bit.

Out:
Dembele - 10m
Rose - 35m
Alderweireld - 50m
Vorm - 5m
Jansen - 10m
Llorente - 5m
Trippier - 25m
---------------------------------
140m

In:
CM
LB
CB
AM

I'm confident we can spend big on a CM, AM, and LB and bring in 3 quality players that will improve our squad and have a positive impact. I'm expecting to improve on this season, even with a few first team players moving on.

Sell Toby and bring in a veteran defender?
Toby is 30, and the best CB in the Pl when fit....... :avbfacepalm:

Plus 10 million go Dembele? Even if he was fit for 20 games that’s worth the 10 million alone! :paulinhobored:

Excuse me are people confusing Danny Rose with Marcelo?
I think you all need to reign it in a bit.
Danny Rose creates less than Davies. Fact.
Call it a pointless stat all you want but it wouldn’t be so pointless if Rose had 12 assists and 6 goals now would it. Jesus

All the chances we didn’t create with Davies?
Errr what?
Have you those numbers for Rose then, who has never once put in a cross on the run in ten years of football....no thought not
You've made it pretty clear you don't rate Danny.

Thing is, if your analaysis is anywhere near right, there is no fucking way a club as ambitious as Man Utd with a manager as succesful as Mourinho would be remotely interesting in signing the player this summer.

So lets just see what happens shall we?
Im sure you aint claiming to be more knowledgeable than Jose and his scouts.

Thing is, if your analaysis is anywhere near right, there is no fucking way a club as ambitious as Man Utd with a manager as succesful as Mourinho would be remotely interesting in signing the player this summer.

So lets just see what happens shall we?
Im sure you aint claiming to be more knowledgeable than Jose and his scouts.

No offense John, but it's pretty clear for all to see that Jose Mourinho is pretty piss poor at rating players. How many players has he let go to other clubs now because he hasn't realised their true worth and potential?

People slating Ben is bizarre. The guy has been one of the 3 best left backs this season in the league and has done well. He's not a blitzkrieg left back like Rose but he has other strengths that makes up for that.

Our fullbacks are not why we have struggled at times this season. We have struggled due to the midfield struggling with injuries and lack of form

Last edited:

Im sure you aint claiming to nbe more knowledgeable than Jose and his scouts.

And you seem to be claiming to be more knowledgeable than our manager regarding our signings....it’s the same argument mate.

A club as ambitious as Utd that thought David Moyes was the next SAF?
Paying 75M for Lukaku wasn’t ambitious, it was stupid.
Lindelöf anybody? Phil Jones? Luke Shaw?

Would you like them in the side, I mean Utd signed them so they must be better than ours.

I think you’ll find we’ve finished above them for a few years now too. But we lack ambition and they are full of it.

As for rating Rose, I did but that was well over a year ago, and even then it was always a case of a player thriving under a specific manager and set up. Pochs way.

You think Rose is going to cross the halfway line under Jose? If they want him they are welcome, and just like Walker he won’t make a blind difference to their success rate, and will be upgraded within two years.

Last edited:
And you seem to be claiming to be more knowledgeable than our manager regarding our signings....it’s the same argument mate.
Not really. I think Poch realises he has to work under a tight financial budget and knows he has to allow some players to leave to raise the funds he may need in other areas.
Nobody in their right mind, for instance, thinks Poch rates Sanchez a better player than Toby. But our wage structure and transfer policy means Toby is frozen out, like Walker before him, in readiness for a summer windfall

Not really. I think Poch realises he has to work under a tight financial budget and knows he has to allow some players to leave to raise the funds he may need in other areas.
Nobody in their right mind, for instance, thinks Poch rates Sanchez a better player than Toby. But our wage structure and transfer policy means Toby is frozen out, like Walker before him, in readiness for a summer windfall

Maybe Poch knows that Sanchez will be more valuable to us within the next two seasons though than a 30yr old with injuries.

The individual talent isn’t what matters in Pochs teams.

You mention our strict budget....Utd have the freedom to spend 90M on one player....and the best LB they can come up with is Danny Rose.

You think Utd fans share your optimism for their choice of player to take them to the next level? I don’t, he can’t even win his place back from a supposedly average Davies.

I'd say that's pretty debatable John. Absolutely none of us know what's gone on behind the scenes with Toby and it's been strange to see him not come back into the fold. We also have no idea how much Poch rates Sanchez and have to bare in mind he does like developing talent.

Why is sissoko not on that list

Doesn't come across as important as those maybe?

I personally think we'll keep Wanyama unless a big bid comes in for him. Whilst he's been an embarrassment whenever he's played this season, I doubt he's been 100% fit. Which begs the question, how comes he isn't fit? He hasn't had an injury for near on 5 months now.

It'd be a shame to see Dembele go as I still think he does have something to offer. It'd just be a weird sight to see a Spurs squad without Dembele as he's been here so long and been so instrumental to what we've become in a short period of time.

I think Toby and Rose are done though and I think we have the replacements lined up.

For all the bitching and moaning about how Rose is better than Davies, why is it that Davies has created more goals and chances than Rose did when he was "europes best full back" even though he didn't have to worry about defending as much since we tended to play 3 at the back, meanwhile Davies has played the majority of the season in part of a back 4 without our best defender? :avbcringe:

I agree for the most part, but our best defender has been consistently playing. Vertonghen. In parts of his first season, Toby was extraordinary but apart from that Jan has been our best. Would've deserved to be our PotY this season and the last.

Talking shit again, scum? Pipe down.

Back
Top Bottom