New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over the 95yrs a stadium (or stadium building site) has existed at Wembley; and in the FA's 154-year existence, the gov body has owned Wembley Stadium/building site for only 19 years.

I actually think it would be an excellent if they sold it. From what has been proposed they will bank £500m and still receive £40m from Club Wembley revenues per year. They already have St George's Park built and up and running. There are new stadiums being built around the country to host England games (Old Trafford, Eitihad, Anfield, New WHL, Emirates, London Stadium LOL, Everton's proposed new stadium and Chelsea's new stadium although this must be in doubt now) all of these stadiums are close to or over 60k in capacity. There is £150m of debt which could be all paid off or substantially reduced (The FA generate an annual income of nearly £400m so the debt is still manageable as it is), so either the entire £500m or something like £400m can now be invested into grass roots football, we have the highest fees in the world for coaches, which is why we have the smallest number of them in Europe, money could be spent reinvigorating existing pitches and facilities, the creation of all weather pitches, making safe current pitches that property developers have their eye's on. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-invest back into the National Sport rather having the money tied up in a soulless bowl.
£500m into grass roots football will not go far, we had a new building from football foundation & local council (106 code = money from house builders) £300k we got 4 changing rooms, 2 refs rooms small kitchen , small store room, that was 10 yrs ago, think last unit that size in our area was £500k
so its 100 builds max's or 150 astra turf pitchs

The FA is fucking loaded. They make a lot of tv revenue and lucrative sponsorship deals too. I just don't see a reason why they would want to sell

They didn’t plan to clear the debt on the stadium until 2024 and grassroots football is a mess as far as investment goes.
Think Mcdonalds probably invest more in grassroots football.

So not sure they are loaded - especially when compared to this American Billionaire.

From the FA website Feb 2017

You can see why £500m plus in cleared funds would be a big deal for a non-profit organisation.

“The annual results, which are comprised across The FA Limited, Wembley National Stadium Limited and the National Football Centre Limited, also demonstrate a record turnover of £370million – up from £318million in 2014-15

The FA made an after-tax profit of £7million across the year, compared to a £9million loss in the previous period, while there were also savings on restructuring/reorganisation costs as well as through refinancing of FA debt”

£500m into grass roots football will not go far, we had a new building from football foundation & local council (106 code = money from house builders) £300k we got 4 changing rooms, 2 refs rooms small kitchen , small store room, that was 10 yrs ago, think last unit that size in our area was £500k
so its 100 builds max's or 150 astra turf pitchs
It should ideally be spent on providing coaches. The FA charge the highest fees for badges than any country in the World and as a result have the fewest. There should be a complete restructuring of the number of coaches are in the game, subsidise the fees, create an environment for coaches to make it a proper career out of it and not for it to be a part-time minimum wage or for what amounts charitable actions. Imagine 2,000 coaches up and down the country earning £35-40k pa.

From the FA website Feb 2017

You can see why £500m plus in cleared funds would be a big deal for a non-profit organisation.

“The annual results, which are comprised across The FA Limited, Wembley National Stadium Limited and the National Football Centre Limited, also demonstrate a record turnover of £370million – up from £318million in 2014-15

The FA made an after-tax profit of £7million across the year, compared to a £9million loss in the previous period, while there were also savings on restructuring/reorganisation costs as well as through refinancing of FA debt”

Don't be fooled by the profit being low though, they spend the money on grass roots, I think I read over £100M a year, which is what they exist to do, and then there is the debt on the stadium and the recent cost of St George's Park. So profit isn't supposed to be large, it's not showing the FA isn't doing well. It's the turnover that matters, and very healthy, especially considering England have been shit of late.

Does this mean Fulham will relocate to Wembley?

I struggle to see the benefit of buying it if that were not part of the deal.

And then how does an NFL season work around football fixtures? All I know about NFL is via google which says a season is September to December Sunday and Monday games and 16 games long ( assume home and away still applies so 8 games ) that’s not huge, so why £800 million what’s the gain ?

One thing I do keep coming back to is that next year, Wolves (Mini Man City) Fulham & Villa will have absolutely monster money available that’s going to close that gap on the top 4 pretty quick. If this Khan guy can lob out £900m for no clear gain...

Surely as well this fucks is ENICs plans. I am amazed more of us did not object to our stadium becoming home to NFL - that feels a bit wrong to me.

It cost the FA £789M In 2007 to build, £1.09B today. I can't see anyone stumping up that kind of money for a stadium only

Add to that the value of land that the stadium sits on - probably a couple of hundred million.

But from memory The FA couldn't fund it themselves and got a grant from National Lottery and Government. And if there was a new build stadium on the site the developer would be required to do things like provide affordable housing and pay a multimillion pound Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

So think the FA should be demanding a lot more than £800m - and also repay the public funds it received.

Why is Khan not buying Spurs (serious question) surely when talking 8/900 million that’s getting into the territory where ENIC would sell. Obviously he has Foolham to deal with, but..

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want him within 100 miles of us ideally. But it’s just curious as to what Wembley brings - yes he can fill it 8/10 times September to December, but that’s hardly scratching the surface compared to a 20 + game a season football deal.

Spurs would cost you North of 2B these days ...

Interesting take from a US friend, he firmly believes London will have 2 NFL franchises, and that the NFL will expand to 40 teams ... maybe not today or tomorrow but some time in the future ...

Khan is playing the 'long game' .... makes sense for him and the NFL

Spurs would cost you North of 2B these days ...

Interesting take from a US friend, he firmly believes London will have 2 NFL franchises, and that the NFL will expand to 40 teams ... maybe not today or tomorrow but some time in the future ...

Khan is playing the 'long game' .... makes sense for him and the NFL
What I've never understood about these people is where does ambition stop? Khan is 67? How long can a long game be? And how much of the fruits of his labour will he enjoy?

I ask the same question of Rupert Murdoch. Surely just give up the big games now?

The problem with letting in NFL guys to buy teams/stadiums is that they start demanding NFL bullshit. If Khan buys it, he'll try to move Fulham there. If he can't, he'll demand UK taxpayers pay to build him the equivalent on top of Craven Cottage.

I hope Levy's NFL contracts are air tight...

It should ideally be spent on providing coaches. The FA charge the highest fees for badges than any country in the World and as a result have the fewest. There should be a complete restructuring of the number of coaches are in the game, subsidise the fees, create an environment for coaches to make it a proper career out of it and not for it to be a part-time minimum wage or for what amounts charitable actions. Imagine 2,000 coaches up and down the country earning £35-40k pa.
each time I've meet the local FA, I've banged on about getting good coaches to teach/show skills, tecnics ect to other coaches, so they can go back to their teams and teach/show them,
we not all able to spare the time to get up the coaching levels, but a 1 day every 4 weeks would improve grassroots coaches,
so each night the FA coach would be at different location around the county, he would cover 20 different locations over the 4 weeks,

each time I've meet the local FA, I've banged on about getting good coaches to teach/show skills, tecnics ect to other coaches, so they can go back to their teams and teach/show them,

With coaching I feel that the quality is undermined by the sheer popularity of the game.

If I example my FA coaching badge experience ( especially @ level 1) I turned up in some dilapidated class room in Walthamstow with I think around 30 other people. I would estimate 25 of those were completely unfit for society let alone coaching football.

Far too many who had convinced themselves that but for a dodgy knees they were the next Maradonna, and the coaching world needed them. Then there were many more who were “doing it for me boy” (all of whom were the next Maradona) and then some who you would consider how long they had been on Day release, we even had two Japanese lads who did not speak English attend (and pass) it was unreal. I think everyone passed. How can everyone pass? I still feel angry that the Japanese guys were allowed to pass the safe guarding children section, when they did not understand the majority of English.

There were a handful of us with both teaching and sporting background, that little bit older (in our 30’s) and not deluded about being great players from the past endeavours. Just generally sensible people with an interest in doing well.

My point here is that “good” coaches are somewhat overwhelmed by the many more absolute Bell ends who can creep into the FA programme. Not unlike many others courses these days, anyone gets in as long as they pay the £ and everyone passes as long as they turn up on the final day. That’s actually not helping coaching standards in my view, there needs to be a pre qualification process & then a pass / fail programme to drive standards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom