Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought that the way it worked was that, as the release fee is £25m, then Spurs can not refuse any bid at that price. So ALL clubs need only bid £25m. Therefore saving the "extra" money for his wages.
So if for example PSG, Barca, RM, Man ure etc, come in for him, he can choose to go to whoever offers most wages/trophies.
Spurs will have NO say in this.
So why did Suarez leave for £65m when he had his release clause activated (£40m) with a bid for £40m + £1?

We will never know.

Exactly! We could still have lost with Toby in the team. Grow up!

There are criticisms that can be placed at the club based on opinions but 'bad management' is definitely not one of them. The club is run superbly - new stadium, best training facilities, brilliant playing squad, etc. If there is something up with Toby then I have no doubt the Levy, Poch and whoever else will be working together to make sure it works out for the best for us.

So why did Suarez leave for £65m when he had his release clause activated (£40m) with a bid for £40m + £1?
He left for £65m because his release clause had ran out the year before.

He had his release clause activated the summer before, but that didn’t mean he had to leave.

So if we have a similar record while Kane is injured, shall we sell him?

I dont remember saying we should sell Toby....I think I said Id rather he stayed, but claims that we are fucked without him are way off.

But if (the reprts about Toby are true) Kane refuses to sign a contract with us, and demands a wage we cannot possibly pay him, and falls out with the club over talks, and Son is scoring 30 plus goals a season, then yeah why not sell him.

I do not like this. If Toby has been fit and not selected in the starting XI specially against Juve, we could have been in the last eight of the CL FFS! Bad management from top to bottom if the case.

There is a big difference between being fit and being sharp......maybe you missed his farcical comeback against a division 4 team......gifting them an in injury time equalizer and being totally out run. But you assume Dybala and co. wouldnt have got past him.

There is a big difference between being fit and being sharp......maybe you missed his farcical comeback against a division 4 team......gifting them an in injury time equalizer and being totally out run. But you assume Dybala and co. wouldnt have got past him.

Plenty of the squad have talked about being fit and then being ‘Poch’ fit. More inclined to believe Pochettino over comedy Bob Martinez about a players fitness.

Many have quickly forgotten that Toby is one of the top three central defenders in the world. The only way to replace him is with one of the few players who make up the others in the top five or so. That’s unlikely, so we will not be as strong.

We won at the weekend without Kane, but nobody seems to be suggesting we’d be fine if he left. Why it’s being said about Toby amazes me.
Because they play in different positions. We have no quality replacement for Kane. Kane is one of our 2 most important players.

There is an abundance of reasons why Toby leaving is far less of a hit than Kane.

People are kidding themselves beyond imagination if they think that selling Toby wouldn't weaken us, not to mention the message it sends out.

As for the "We have Foyth" argument, that's the 2018 variant on the "City didn't buy Trippier because they knew we wouldn't sell him" nonsense.
Ah, the famous ''message''. The same ''message'' that was sent out when we sold Walker. Which promptly followed a likely top 4 consolidation. Topping a CL group with Dortmund and Real Madrid and another F.A. Cup semi-final.

But it's the ''message'' that's important.

Is this the same message Barcelona sent out when selling Neymar and replacing him with Dembele?

Or the same message Liverpool sent out selling Coutinho and replacing him with Mo Salah?

Since Toby has been out we've been excellent. Simple as that. We have proven we can cover for his loss. He's a superb player. But if he wants a 180k, 4 year contract, he is being beyond greedy.

We'd end up paying 180k a week for a 33 year old defender. If you think Levy would, or should, pay that you're deluded. If he were 26 maybe. But 29. No way.

EDIT - Let's not forget, he completely stitched up Southampton to join us. He has a history of being less than honest towards his clubs.

Last edited:
Good because that's exactly what I've been posting about.
No it isn’t. You’ve been posting about Toby not being a huge miss. Now you are posting about his situation being like the one Suarez was in. That’s not the same thing at all.

Anyway, I’ll assume there’s a massive post coming back my way, so I can happily save you the trouble. Just post a word so you can have the last one. I’m out. So bored talking about this with you I may actually harm myself.

Mickey Hazarrd last night “People do not realise that the players at Spurs were the third best paid in the league last season”. He and Clive Allen went on to confirm that the incentives are why they get more. Not just the base wage. Anyone leave is not doing so for the money.

And as they also pointed out. Where would Toby go where everything is better?

So while it’s hardly ENIC speaking it is at least first hand confirmation that it is not the “wages” that is the problem.

I’d say if Toby has a touch of the Walkers, we should do no more than wish him goodbye.

No it isn’t. You’ve been posting about Toby not being a huge miss. Now you are posting about his situation being like the one Suarez was in. That’s not the same thing at all.

Anyway, I’ll assume there’s a massive post coming back my way, so I can happily save you the trouble. Just post a word so you can have the last one. I’m out. So bored talking about this with you I may actually harm myself.
LH-cry.gif

Back
Top Bottom