Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino is a genius with a ?.......He just is.
We know what we get from him and know he is someone who wants to win every game and cares about the players and the club. Long live Pochettino.

His comments are pragmatic, and purely based in the world of modern football. Winning cups may give you legacy, but maintaining a revenue keeps you relevant as a business.

The game is about money now. You need money to complete and you need to be relevant in the right competitions to ensure revenue streams are maintained. We concentrate on the League and the CL because these generate the biggest income. Simple as. Prize money is one thing but revenue from pedigree sponsors is what really drives this.

Even the FA themselves deem the League Cup so irrelevant that the draw can take place at 4am in the country that is actually hosting the competition.

Im not saying this is right or that i agree with it, i hate what modern football has turned into as much as any supporter that remembers a time before it.

But as I've said many times before. Dont hate the player, hate the game. To pretend that this isnt the marketplace that we operate in is delusional.

Can't understand, given his aforementioned views, why he started tonight with Kane and Eriksen on the bench. Surely this'd have been the perfect (and possibly last for a while) opportunity to get Sterling and particularly Edwards on the bench.

The Edwards situation is a myth to me - I was sure he'd only signed his contract on significantly lower wages than offered elsewhere on the basis of a route to the 1st team. Would've thought tonight was a perfect opportunity for Poch to live up to that end of the bargain.

Can't understand, given his aforementioned views, why he started tonight with Kane and Eriksen on the bench. Surely this'd have been the perfect (and possibly last for a while) opportunity to get Sterling and particularly Edwards on the bench.

The Edwards situation is a myth to me - I was sure he'd only signed his contract on significantly lower wages than offered elsewhere on the basis of a route to the 1st team. Would've thought tonight was a perfect opportunity for Poch to live up to that end of the bargain.
Because what he said was taken out of context

Really feels like we have a manager who is in charge......so many years where we had the vibe of Levy hanging over their heads like the Grim Reaper. Not any more
I want to remain neutral with Levy, enables me to kick him in the nuts if he does something bad or give him the thumbs up on something he's got right. Never be a "fan/supporter" of a football Chairman or a Politician.

But here is a thumbs up from me. Levy has given more control of the football side of Tottenham to Poch than any manger that has worked for him before. There clearly is a trusted relationship between them and long may that continue. It must be nice for him not to have a manger telling our players to train hard so they can earn a move to Madrid or support them fully in private matters only for them to use their Status of being Tottenham Manger to position themselves for the England job.

I want to remain neutral with Levy, enables me to kick him in the nuts if he does something bad or give him the thumbs up on something he's got right. Never be a "fan/supporter" of a football Chairman or a Politician.

But here is a thumbs up from me. Levy has given more control of the football side of Tottenham to Poch than any manger that has worked for him before. There clearly is a trusted relationship between them and long may that continue. It must be nice for him not to have a manger telling our players to train hard so they can earn a move to Madrid or support them fully in private matters only for them to use their Status of being Tottenham Manger to position themselves for the England job.
:harryhmm::levywhoa:

I disagree about second chances element, the Sissoko bit is a shite example of a player stepping out of line, every single international break a player or players agent has said something that gets reported and then gets twisted, be that Lloris, Alderweireld Wimmer whoever, let's see what pans out when Rose is fit and if he stays after next summer or not.

Also, half truths about style of play. Yes, sitting back against BVB was brilliant but disagree it that we were fortunate as I don't think Lloris had much to do and their goal was offside in their build up, we also still played with a relatively high-line for a team that let BVB have the ball and 2nd half we were the better side and should have scored at least 2 or 3 more goals. The narrative that when teams press us we can't cope is nonsense, many, many teams try to press us but fail, we are usually better and wear the opposition out, we beat Citeh at our place by out pressing them for longer yet everyone only talks about them pressing us better. There will be games when we are shit and our press doesn't work like the Liverpool game or like Citeh away, it doesn't mean they are better at it than us overall, it's just that game. (My annoyance at the Liverpool game last year was that it was VERY clear how to play against them and we didn't do it, even Citeh started with 5 at the back against them, something we should have done especially given the one-on-one match ups). All that said and done it was great to see us let the oppo have the ball, especially one of such quality and by and large only create a couple of chances.

I disagree about second chances element, the Sissoko bit is a shite example of a player stepping out of line, every single international break a player or players agent has said something that gets reported and then gets twisted, be that Lloris, Alderweireld Wimmer whoever, let's see what pans out when Rose is fit and if he stays after next summer or not.

Also, half truths about style of play. Yes, sitting back against BVB was brilliant but disagree it that we were fortunate as I don't think Lloris had much to do and their goal was offside in their build up, we also still played with a relatively high-line for a team that let BVB have the ball and 2nd half we were the better side and should have scored at least 2 or 3 more goals. The narrative that when teams press us we can't cope is nonsense, many, many teams try to press us but fail, we are usually better and wear the opposition out, we beat Citeh at our place by out pressing them for longer yet everyone only talks about them pressing us better. There will be games when we are shit and our press doesn't work like the Liverpool game or like Citeh away, it doesn't mean they are better at it than us overall, it's just that game. (My annoyance at the Liverpool game last year was that it was VERY clear how to play against them and we didn't do it, even Citeh started with 5 at the back against them, something we should have done especially given the one-on-one match ups). All that said and done it was great to see us let the oppo have the ball, especially one of such quality and by and large only create a couple of chances.
very much hope Poch learns from the Dortmund game for when we play Liverpool. Last season, very depressing and completely avoidable imo. We can beat them 4-0 at home if we're canny. And we can lose badly away if we're not.

very much hope Poch learns from the Dortmund game for when we play Liverpool. Last season, very depressing and completely avoidable imo. We can beat them 4-0 at home if we're canny. And we can lose badly away if we're not.
I can only read between the lines but I THINK we didn't set out to set deep against BVB, but we released very quickly that we needed to do that. If you listen to the post match comments, especially Kane's, everyone recognised we were losing the battle, we didn't bang our heads against a brick wall persisting with a certain way, it seems we reacted to what was going on??? If this was the case, I like it more as it shows intelligence.

Back
Top Bottom