Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with Salmon. There's no need to put the dagger in the guy bassed off a friendly with PSG. He's done nothing to hurt the club so maybe we should be actual supporters and want him to succeed rather than throw him under the bus?

I think a key factor in getting Vincent scoring is the quality of delivery he receives from the midfield. He's not as polished as Kane when it comes to creating his own chances, so he needs that extra delivery from guys like Alli, Eriksen and Trippier. We've seen that when it happens he ends up with scoring opportunities. During the first half he didn't exactly get any form of delivery into the box despite making a good amount of smart runs and positioning himself for it. So he had to resort to getting the ball out of box and to try and hold off the defense (which he is great at) to create his own chances.

I also think he needs game form. We saw during the spring when he played more he got better with each game.

The guy can obviously score and is a quality player who just needs that extra bit of polish to him. Nothing shameful in being a straight up poacher/finisher rather than a out and out creator like Kane.

What do you disagree with specifically?
That he lacks composure. He's a kid. A work in progress. Kane, when he was out on loan, was shit as well up until a few years ago.

I have faith in him. So, evidently, does Poch. I think the issue is his age and mental maturity, particularly stepping up to a much harder league and having to compete with world class players like Kane and Dele Alli. Those things can be improved. Otherwise his movement and vision is good and improved significantly over the course of the past season. He needs our faith and backing. I think we cast him aside at our peril as I think he will come good.

That he lacks composure. He's a kid. A work in progress. Kane, when he was out on loan, was shit as well up until a few years ago.

I have faith in him. So, evidently, does Poch. I think the issue is his age and mental maturity, particularly stepping up to a much harder league and having to compete with world class players like Kane and Dele Alli. Those things can be improved. Otherwise his movement and vision is good and improved significantly over the course of the past season. He needs our faith and backing. I think we cast him aside at our peril as I think he will come good.
I don't think we should cast him aside. To me it seems pretty evident he lacks composure at the key moment, but, as I said, I think this is down to nerves. I not totally sure why I get so much heat for this opinion. Maybe people are incapable of understanding nuance. I am not saying he is shit or unable to change. I think he needs to calm down and part of that is confidence, which you mentioned.

Edit: In fact, I am being nicer than most, even the sycophants. I am saying he will be successful if he can stop panicking.

I don't think we should cast him aside. To me it seems pretty evident he lacks composure at the key moment, but, as I said, I think this is down to nerves. I not totally sure why I get so much heat for this opinion. Maybe people are incapable of understanding nuance. I am not saying he is shit or unable to change. I think he needs to calm down and part of that is confidence, which you mentioned.

Edit: In fact, I am being nicer than most, even the sycophants. I am saying he will be successful if he can stop panicking.
I think the nerves are a bit related to match form/how much playtime he has. He looked similarly nervy at times last season but during the spring when he got more consistent playtime he got more and more comfortable and it disappeared. I think Janssen is perfect as a substitute striker and if he gets consistent playtime (which he should) we should see those nerves disappear.

I think the nerves are a bit related to match form/how much playtime he has. He looked similarly nervy at times last season but during the spring when he got more consistent playtime he got more and more comfortable and it disappeared. I think Janssen is perfect as a substitute striker and if he gets consistent playtime (which he should) we should see those nerves disappear.
I agree

As I wrote in my previous post I also think Vincent needs more consistent delivery to score a lot. Kane is obviously the finished article and a creator of his own chances. Vincent doesn't really have that yet (he had it in Holland but the Dutch league is so offensively focused that defenses for most teams are sorely lacking). So when he doesn't get consistent delivery he doesn't get the chances to score. He finds the right positions and starts/makes good runs but if no one delivers it is sadly for not. Just means he is a poacher striker rather than a creative striker.

So he's perfect as a substitute striker. Put him on in the second half when defenses tire and just deliver balls to him and I am sure he will come good for us with maybe 10-15 goals in all. Every team needs a poacher. Or play him in a 2 striker formation and have him as the target since he has holding play down pat.

The important thing is making sure he has consistent playing time that's more than the final 3 minutes of each game.

Oh FFS. Lad only plays a few minutes in a friendly and straight away the daggers are out. No wonder the poor bastard has no confidence.

Honestly, I watch Janssen and he plays exactly like me. He is a good player, I am certain. He has loads of ability, but he is a player who needs confidence to play well. When I had confidence as a player I was really good, every shot would go in and people would say I was a great player. On other days when I was lacking confidence everything I did didn't work, I couldn't seem to get into games. Some players are just like that. He just needs time and patience, if the fans, team, manager, give him that he will hit his stride. It's also an age/experience thing, as you get older you work out how to impose yourself on games more and stop thinking of mistakes you've made and get ready for the next opportunity, he is still very young.

I like the fact he gives us something else - a bit of strength, decent lay offs, left footed etc. Might not be prolific, but neither was Crouchy and he was always a good Plan B.

Janssen seems to be getting ripped judging from the preseason videos and pictures from training.

Perhaps the idea once season proper kicks off is to have him come on in halftime and strongarm his way to goal?

Back
Top Bottom