Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I had to disable it. :(

There's too many posts on the forum now. It uses up a load of the database just to calculate which posts to display.

That's mental.

I assume that's down to the method in which the 'ratings' addition works? (and the resources it gobbles)

i do think there should be a few more 'mods'

You do know this community is self-moderated, don't you?

the long term posters with low post counts who pop up before a 'big' game

Not everybody feels the need to post day in day out.... Some dont post when they see their opinion is already represented....

What's the beef?

That's mental.

I assume that's down to the method in which the 'ratings' addition works? (and the resources it gobbles)
Yea. It probably would keep working but the size of the table it creates in the database doesn't seem worth it.

You do know this community is self-moderated, don't you?

Not everybody feels the need to post day in day out.... Some dont post when they see their opinion is already represented....

What's the beef?

if you can't see the point i was making, will leave it there ( more to do with non spurs)

I just updated my Chrome and now everything looks zoomed way the fuck in. It's making me dizzy.

Admin Admin you need to fix Google. Yeah that's right, the whole company. Should be simple. I need this done in one hour.

The only thing That needs changing in my opinion, is how easy it is for others to join the forum.
If you try to join some forums, you have to wait to be assessed before they activate your account. ( a friend told me )

I'm assuming that doesn't happen here? As some of the names they use to join would be easy to spot if they are just here for trolling, upon registration.

I.e. A Sol Campbell joined this morning with a picture of him holding a trophy.. if he was assessed I'm assuming that he wouldn't have been allowed to join?

Last edited:
The only thing That needs changing in my opinion, is how easy it is for others to join the forum.
If you try to join some forums, you have to wait to be assessed before they activate your account. ( a friend told me )

I'm assuming that doesn't happen here? As some of the names they use to join would be easy to spot if they are just here for trolling, upon registration.

I.e. A Sol Campbell joined this morning with a picture of him holding a trophy.. if he was assessed I'm assuming that he wouldn't have been allowed to join?
It's relatively easy to add something like that, I don't think the issue is that bad though.

We always get trolls signing up at the end of the season, that's just what happens. It's not like there are loads though. One signs up, the forum gives them a load of shit, eventually me or T click the button that bans them and deletes all their posts.

I'd find a system of having my first post moderated a bit off-putting if I'd signed up to a forum. I just want to post but I've got to wait until it's been approved. There are more people signing up that want to use the forum normally than there are trolls so it doesn't seem right to discourage people getting involved for a few weird scum fans.

If it gets worse though, I can look at adding it. Best thing to do is sin bin vote them as soon as you see them. We can usually catch them early then if one of us is about.

Last edited:
It's relatively easy to add something like that, I don't think the issue is that bad though.

We always get trolls signing up at the end of the season, that's just what happens. It's not like there are loads though. One signs up, the forum gives them a load of shit, eventually me or T click the button that bans them and deletes all their posts.

I'd find a system of having my first post moderated first a bit off-putting if I'd signed up to a forum. I just want to post but I've got to wait until it's been approved. There are more people signing up that want to use the forum normally than there are trolls so it doesn't seem right to discourage people getting involved for a few weird scum fans.

If it gets worse though, I can look at adding it. Best thing to do is sin bin vote them as soon as you see them. We can usually catch them early then if one of us is about.

Actually, you raise a fair point.. Reading some of the comments when someone tries to troll is quite amusing, if not hilarious.

So i've had a change of heart and think we should encourage more..It certainly brightens up the board.

Great response and thanks.

Yea. It probably would keep working but the size of the table it creates in the database doesn't seem worth it.
Still really missing this feature. Can't the parameters be tweeked? For instance don't include disagrees and only record posts with e.g 10 or more positive ratings?

Also can it be done dynamically so that if a thread has not been accessed by anyone for about 6 months it gets purged from the table? This could help keep the size down but obviously could impact on site performance once the thread is accessed.

Or is it just basically a case of more money = bigger db?

money-grab.jpg

i do think there should be a few more 'mods'

the long term posters with low post counts who pop up before a 'big' game

Low posts as in , say 2795?

I think we mod ourselves pretty well really

I love reading the stuff when we get a troll.

Admin Admin could add an audio recording button for posting? You know the type of thing you can do In whatsapp or iMessage?
There are plenty of illiterate fucks on here who might benefit from having that option. I think it would also be popular - it would add a new human element to threads if some folk submitted their posts verbally. There would have to be a time limit (for file size reasons as well as mitigating boredom). What do ye think big poppa?

I spent years on COYS and the rigid code of conduct was brilliant in that it kept discussion on topic and though it may have become salty, it never degenerated into outright abuse

I accept the idea of self-moderation, I actually quite like it

It's progressive, low-maintenance and fluid

However with regard to abuse, clearly it isn't working

In the past two or three days, I've read a veiled attempt to offer somebody out, given with a time and place, and multiple comments like "You obviously know (insert expletive here) about ..."

Is this behaviour not as undesirable as I think it is, are my values misaligned in some way?

It's not a righteous crusade towards censorship, it's more an understanding of what makes a forum most effective

Slanging matches do the opposite

Admin Admin could add an audio recording button for posting? You know the type of thing you can do In whatsapp or iMessage?
There are plenty of illiterate fucks on here who might benefit from having that option. I think it would also be popular - it would add a new human element to threads if some folk submitted their posts verbally. There would have to be a time limit (for file size reasons as well as mitigating boredom). What do ye think big poppa?

I spent years on COYS and the rigid code of conduct was brilliant in that it kept discussion on topic and though it may have become salty, it never degenerated into outright abuse

In the past two or three days, I've read a veiled attempt to offer somebody out, given with a time and place, and multiple comments like "You obviously know (insert expletive here) about ..."

Is this behaviour not as undesirable as I think it is, are my values misaligned in some way?

It's not a righteous crusade towards censorship, it's more an understanding of what makes a forum most effective

:dierpochhug:

This isn't the worst idea and you're probably onto something in regards to the future of forums given how popular mobile browsing is. I doubt it's anything that's going to happen any time soon though. Having a server full of you lot chatting shit in text form is bad enough.

I think the person you're referring to, who offered someone out, is now in the sin bin. So I guess, in that regard, it has worked.

A self moderated forum is a vague reflection of the people using it. So if you like it here, you might have to put up with a bit of colourful language. Vote when you see any arguing in threads etc though, if it's ruining the site for you. If enough others agree, the perpetrator will feel the back of my (virtual) hand.

Last edited:
This isn't the worst idea and you're probably onto something in regards to the future of forums given how popular mobile browsing is. I doubt it's anything that's going to happen any time soon though. Having a server full of you lot chatting shit in text form is bad enough.

I think the person you're referring to, who offered someone out, is now in the sin bin. So I guess, in that regard, it has worked.

A self moderated forum is a vague reflection of the people using it. So if you like it here, you might have to put up with a bit of colourful language. Vote when you see any arguing in threads etc though, if it's ruining the site for you. If enough others agree, the perpetrator will feel the back of my (virtual) hand.

Swearing, I don't mind. I swear a lot. It's an effective means of expression. It's when it's directed at another with intent only to abuse that I read it and I think, what's the point of this?

As you say though, the voting mechanism is there, and is well-designed to reflect the will of forumites.

Glad this thread exists.

Back
Top Bottom