Worst match you've ever been to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apart from the ones already mentioned, I remember going to Notts County - think it was a League Cup game and they were Third Division - and we were 3-0 down with about twenty minutes to go. Was one of the few occasions I left early and think we were nearly home before the final whistle went.
Every loss against Woolwich, especially the one they beat us and won the double .... painful beyond words!
I was supposed to go to that Notts County match. I was still quite young then and it would have been one of my first away trips. However, I was shopping with my parents on Oxford Street and agreed to meet them in one of the Virgin megastores. Of course, they went to HMV and, in a world before mobile phones, we then had an apparent lost child incident and, after ages spent waiting in a local police station, me getting very angry, plenty of tears (from my Mum when we were finally reunited) it was agreed that we were not going anywhere that afternoon or evening, and the day just got progressively more frustrating. I'm still convinced that, had I gone, we would have won... and it is all my parents' fault. Wasn't that the game that basically ended it for Ossie as our manager?

I was supposed to go to that Notts County match. I was still quite young then and it would have been one of my first away trips. However, I was shopping with my parents on Oxford Street and agreed to meet them in one of the Virgin megastores. Of course, they went to HMV and, in a world before mobile phones, we then had an apparent lost child incident and, after ages spent waiting in a local police station, me getting very angry, plenty of tears (from my Mum when we were finally reunited) it was agreed that we were not going anywhere that afternoon or evening, and the day just got progressively more frustrating. I'm still convinced that, had I gone, we would have won... and it is all my parents' fault. Wasn't that the game that basically ended it for Ossie as our manager?
Yep, that's the one - such a shame it didn't work out for him and Mr P as our managers - would have been a dream come true if they had been successful.

I'd say the 0-3 at home to West ham a few years back or losing to Wigan 1-0-totally depressing games.
The kicking we got at the Emirates after going 2 up was infuriating as well.

No, the Man Utd game was a 2001 and the Man city was 2003 or 2004.
I couldn't go toThat Man utd game as I was working ,so my mate had my season ticket..At half time he rang me up giving me loads about missing the game and asking can he have it every week as he was obviously lucky.....Full time me rang back and told me to stuff my ticket up my aris as he is never going again coz he is obviously a jinx.....

Plenty mentioned already, I'll add the 1-0 defeat to Norwich when they were managed by Hughton and got relegated. Sunday 4pm, over £50 for the ticket and we didn't even get off the bus. Only defence I can make is a long trip back from Dnipro on the Thursday night, but then losing to Norwich is inexcusable at any time.

Also, I'm sure one season we got done 3-0 at home by Sheffield Wednesday as well. I was about 6/7 and managed to walk into a lamp post after the game in a hurry to get back to the car.

Away to Forest for a FA Cup replay in about 2005 i think.

Was a comfortable win, even Mido scored but myself and a mate had got tickets in the the home stand near to their notorious A block. My friend gave himself away in about the 70th minute after we scored our second and was subjected to an absolute barrage of racist abuse and threats. Asked the steward if we could move and was told "there's hardly any game left, if you don't like it leave." So we did.

Now i do consider sitting in the wrong end and then complaining about it as a bit of a cunts move, but it was like being at a match in the 70's that day.

I went to a lot of matches in the mid 90's and most of them were the worst games I've been to. There were a couple under Ossie in his first season where we were appalling, think we lost 6 or 7 on the bounce - I was convinced we were getting relegated - it was such a depressing atmosphere - the teams doing us were not even good. Sheff wed dominated us home and away - the one at home was awful everyone just expected to lose.
I've been lucky to avoid any of the famous fistings we've taken - the manU3-5, city 3-4 getting demolished by newcastle, bolton, barnsley.
One pounding I did see us take was the preseason game against the scum at wembley. I know its preseason but I was full of optimism - we'd signed stewart & gazza for big cash. we got done 4-0 and were fucking shit. Gascoinge looked fat and stewart was rubbish. ruined a nice summers day.

From a results perspective losing 5-1 to Chelsea at Wembley was awful.

For utter, shoot myself in the face boredom there have been a few piss poor Thursday nights - so boring I couldn't even elaborate on who they were against. Losing to Hull 1-0 and West Brom 1-0 stick out as fucking shit and Sheffield Wednesday beating us 3-1 on Rosenthal's debut was shocking.

Newcastle at home a few years back, one of only two games I've ever walked out of early.

Edit - Just looked up when it was. 2008. Utter disgrace that day.

Last edited:
I was at the Liverpool game at Anfield in 1978 when we lost 7-0. I wouldnt say it was the worst though, we actually & bizarrely had a great day out.

So many of the Ramos/Redknapp & AVB games where we lost games against shit clubs 1-0 at home were soul destroying.

The worst game I have ever been to was against Fulham at home on boxing day 2008. Best day of my life because I was a mascot that day but by far THE MOST boring game of football I have ever seen.

I've watched an NASL match live. Nothing gets worse than that.
fuck you I saw these guys
article-1052850-028A3BCD00000578-546_468x701.jpg

Away to Forest for a FA Cup replay in about 2005 i think.

Was a comfortable win, even Mido scored but myself and a mate had got tickets in the the home stand near to their notorious A block. My friend gave himself away in about the 70th minute after we scored our second and was subjected to an absolute barrage of racist abuse and threats. Asked the steward if we could move and was told "there's hardly any game left, if you don't like it leave." So we did.

Now i do consider sitting in the wrong end and then complaining about it as a bit of a cunts move, but it was like being at a match in the 70's that day.

I went to that. They only had once entrance open for the away end and there were murders. Missed the first 25 minutes. There were millions of us there singing 'We'll never play you again, we'll never play you again" ha ha. Got hit by a pie from above when the 2nd went in. My mate pissed himself laughing so I threw the jacket away, and it was snowing. Got a massive hug from some random Spurs fan. I was bloody freezing lol, so thanks if it was one of you lot.

A lot all ready mentioned...but west ham 1/4 final league cup away 1980 first away on my own in the south bank also this for the most violence I have ever witnessed.
West ham home 81/82 4 bloody nil common denominator both games David Cross.Special mention for Burnley also 1/4 final at home 82/83.

Newcastle at home a few years back, one of only two games I've ever walked out of early.

Edit - Just looked up when it was. 2008. Utter disgrace that day.
oh, that was grim - the 1-4. Bent scored a header then hit the bar, but after that it was dire. Ramos brought on Taarabt who put in a couple of twirls, maybe hoping to attract that big move to Barça. That Barcodes team was dreadful and went down the next season.

Almost every game after the Cup win over Chavs was poor (apart from the 4-4 with them at WHL).

Someone mentioned the 3-5 v Manyou. The whole 2nd half was torture. Cole scored after about 30 seconds, and then it all seemed so inevitable. If ever there was a match for just keeping it steady for the first 10 mins.

I was not at the man u 3-5 but have memories of that day, one of my best mates was getting married. The wedding breakfast was at 4pm we were filing in and I sneaked to the bar and saw we were 3-0 up

Remember this was before I phones and all that jazz, so went up to top table and said to mate ' your day is getting better we are battering utd at home 3-0 and fergies lost his rag'!!!

Sneaked out after starters into bar and TV is turned off. I asked the barman if he knew the spurs score, he scowled at me and said he switched it off at full time and said we lost 5-3, I thought he was taking the piss. He replied he was spurs and he wasn't

Went back into reception, up to top table, relayed the news.........needless to say, the best man, a pissing Ipswich fan, had a field day........

Back
Top Bottom