Would you still sign Berahino?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you pay for Saido (if anything)?

• Total voters
That's not really true. I've always been a firm believer of Bentaleb filling that DM void. I was more looking for an improvement on him in the first team though and we got it in Dier.

Don't get me wrong I like Bentaleb, he's clearly talented. However I still think if we can quickly fill the two key positions we'll really be pushing to heights not seen since the 87 team.

I dont want Berahino, too expensive, too unpredictable, too much of a potential disturbance and still largely unproven for that price. I'd prefer a cheaper alternative (probably foreign) who will see us as the next step in his development, someone from the top 6 - 10 clubs in a relatively smaller league, preferably aged under 22.

Or an experienced EPL striker aged 27 + who knows what we expect of him and accepts the second fiddle, are these types of players around ?

Don't get me wrong I like Bentaleb, he's clearly talented. However I still think if we can quickly fill the two key positions we'll really be pushing to heights not seen since the 87 team.

We'll need to agree to disagree then. I'll be a bit angry if we go and waste any money on a DM this window. We could do with another option up front, but if we bring someone else in and limit Bentalebs game time even more, then we have just ruined a youth product. If I wanted to support a team that makes a habit of ruining talent I'd support Chavski. We need to be giving our young players a chance as our back ups, otherwise they get no chances and our academy is pointless. Poch is doing it right, he's open to signing players that will improve our starting 11 while preferring our back ups come from within.

LOL sorry what I meant was his skinny frame makes he look light weight.

Whereas you look at Dier and Dembele, they physically look like tanks. No one was saying in the summer when we were all crying out for new DM that Bentaleb would be that guy and there was nothing to worry about. We still need a DM and back up for Kane.
in your opinion!.... personelly don't go with all this dm bollocks!.. 3/4/5 midfielders who know each others game and work well together and adaptable in any system is a far better way .. imho.
keyholing one player to a specific role limits options..
not everybody was crying out for a new dm.. this is something the "modern" game has invented.

YOU'RE NOT REALLY THAT GOOD :dembelefingers:
27 goals and 8 assists in 33 games :clintonohshit:

Haha no i'm not, sadly enough - never been good enough to reach pro so now all i do is hate on players who are :)

No seriously, seen him play live a couple of times now and really dont think he'll become a true top striker or lets say not a 30 million worth striker.

Haha no i'm not, sadly enough - never been good enough to reach pro so now all i do is hate on players who are :)

No seriously, seen him play live a couple of times now and really dont think he'll become a true top striker or lets say not a 30 million worth striker.
Haha, nah, maybe not £30m but £18m + Townsend???? :levyeyes: I'd bite my own hand if we could get him for that.

in your opinion!.... personelly don't go with all this dm bollocks!.. 3/4/5 midfielders who know each others game and work well together and adaptable in any system is a far better way .. imho.
not everybody was crying out for a new dm.. this is something the "modern" game has invented.

And we are unfortunately watching 'modern' football. Carroll, Mason and Bentaleb all know each other's game having developed together in the academy. I'm all for promoting our youth, however sometimes we need something a bit more. We have a very good chance of top 4 and above, if it took one or two decent signings to do it then Poch, Mitchell, Levy etc need to do it soon.

Yes. He plays really well with Kane at under 21 level. Having a pre-existing partnership would be really valuable in a Jan signing as we would need players to bed in quick.

Millbanks Millbanks if we're going to spend £30m lets just go and get Lacazette
*salivates at the thought*
Ok, I'll compromise. Can you let Levy know, please? :kanehand:

What do you mean you don't do this dm bollocks? Are you saying you don't believe players have or need different roles?

Dier is a DM, not an AM or a LM or RM. He's not adaptable to those positions. Eriksen cannot play DM, he's not suited to the role.

Using your method, you could play 11 goalkeepers than know each other really well and it'd be fine.:pritchardeyes:

But changing your teams identity and everything they have worked on to fit in one player is a fucking bad thing. By all means, be tactically flexible, but I'd rather teams were trying to change their tactics based on our quality as opposed to us changing to suit whoever we're playing. If you ask me, that's a small club mentality which we are hugely above.

Only I never mentioned anything about changing our teams identity and everything though did I.??
There are going to be times when we are losing or getting over run and need to change things and he would be an ideal player for that.
Not once did I mention about him walking straight into our team.. The first 11 and tactics almost pick themselves..

Last edited:
Ok, I'll compromise. Can you let Levy know, please? :kanehand:

What do you mean you don't do this dm bollocks? Are you saying you don't believe players have or need different roles?

Dier is a DM, not an AM or a LM or RM. He's not adaptable to those positions. Eriksen cannot play DM, he's not suited to the role.

Using your method, you could play 11 goalkeepers than know each other really well and it'd be fine.:pritchardeyes:
read it again !.. & actually dier is a center half!... although he's played at right back to if you recall !..
players that can play with each other and know each other games and roles is far more important than a player for a specific role imho.
obviously if you want to be a clever! go ahead.

Last edited:
And we are unfortunately watching 'modern' football. Carroll, Mason and Bentaleb all know each other's game having developed together in the academy. I'm all for promoting our youth, however sometimes we need something a bit more. We have a very good chance of top 4 and above, if it took one or two decent signings to do it then Poch, Mitchell, Levy etc need to do it soon.
fair point.. but those possible signing have to hit the ground running so to speak .

He's not playing, the manager probably wants him to go, the player wants to go...

I'd put money on him leaving in January.

Whether we'l sign him though, is a different matter - I can see United signing him because they are so shit up front at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom