Why we can finish top 4

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some Americans have the same level of commitment as British fans. I would like to disagree :klinsmann:. I woke up at exactly 30 minutes before the game to see through the whole game
Yes, I'm sure you do, but the league has to be poor, and fixture times flexible. Either way, no way can we win the league.

We need to finish at least 3rd if not 2nd or win the title. Because I don't want us to finish 4th and then Chelsea win the Champions League again like when they finished 6th and won a few years ago. That would be absolutely tragic just like last time.

Yes, I'm sure you do, but the league has to be poor, and fixture times flexible. Either way, no way can we win the league.
Disagree Joe. No fucker is shining in this campaign.

We are capable of beating anyone (or at least not getting smashed to fucking pieces). I think we can win the league. It's a massive ask from a young team & they need to show enormous bollocks...but why not?

The naysayers will whine if we do win it- "it was the worst league in EPL history & no big deal to win it" but there isn't a fuck I could give about that school of thought. We have a winning mentality these days. & as "unspursy " as it is, I like what's happening at our place.

I'm even going for a scratchy 2-1 win against the blue bindippers. Now there's confidence.

Edit: think I may have misunderstood your post
:pochbye:

Disagree Joe. No fucker is shining in this campaign.

We are capable of beating anyone (or at least not getting smashed to fucking pieces). I think we can win the league. It's a massive ask from a young team & they need to show enormous bollocks...but why not?

The naysayers will whine if we do win it- "it was the worst league in EPL history & no big deal to win it" but there isn't a fuck I could give about that school of thought. We have a winning mentality these days. & as "unspursy " as it is, I like what's happening at our place.

I'm even going for a scratchy 2-1 win against the blue bindippers. Now there's confidence.

Edit: think I may have misunderstood your post
:pochbye:
Yes you did. I'm in the win camp. I jumped at VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur 's post. Still, he's a fucking expert.

The League is absolutely not poor this year. It is exceptionally strong in what used to be considered mid table and especially the lower end of mid table. The top of the table point totals are going to be significantly lower than usual. But that is primarily because of the incredible improvement from clubs like Stoke and Crystal Palace.

This is not your older brother's Premier League. It seems like every single week we are seeing results that we'd only see a few times per year in the past. But don't think it is because the League is shit. All of the money has brought the pack up closer to the traditional powers. The increased competition makes a much better product in my view. I think this is a watershed year for the Premiership.

This could have been disastrous for us considering our budget limitations with the new stadium on the horizon. But in steps Poch and Kane and Alli and our amazing golden generation. And it all adds up to us starting to talk about winning titles without irony. Wonderful time to be Spurs.

The League is absolutely not poor this year. It is exceptionally strong in what used to be considered mid table and especially the lower end of mid table. The top of the table point totals are going to be significantly lower than usual. But that is primarily because of the incredible improvement from clubs like Stoke and Crystal Palace.

This is not your older brother's Premier League. It seems like every single week we are seeing results that we'd only see a few times per year in the past. But don't think it is because the League is shit. All of the money has brought the pack up closer to the traditional powers. The increased competition makes a much better product in my view. I think this is a watershed year for the Premiership.

This could have been disastrous for us considering our budget limitations with the new stadium on the horizon. But in steps Poch and Kane and Alli and our amazing golden generation. And it all adds up to us starting to talk about winning titles without irony. Wonderful time to be Spurs.
Agree. It's the most COMPETITIVE EPL of all time. It's open for anyone to grab it by the scruff of the neck. The financially doped teams seem to have overdosed & everyone else has woken up to the fact that they aren't superhuman just because they are super rich.

We won't necessarily win it but we have a fantastic chance. I just wish Sammy was around because when he was cunting everyone off I said we would have a proper conversation about Poch when he had his stall properly set out.

Looks like he's polishing the silver.

If we do win the league this year, congrats to anyone who's been supporting us for less than 4 years. You guys really lucked out, but you've missed the point.

I'm off to find a Devil worship group in Tufnell Park.

We need to finish at least 3rd if not 2nd or win the title. Because I don't want us to finish 4th and then Chelsea win the Champions League again like when they finished 6th and won a few years ago. That would be absolutely tragic just like last time.
Rules changed. Can't happen unless someone also outside top four wins Europa too. Max five in CL.

If we do win the league this year, congrats to anyone who's been supporting us for less than 4 years. You guys really lucked out, but you've missed the point.

May I recommend listening to that Spinal Tap song "Christmas with the Devil" before your excursion? 'Tis the season and all.

Dude. Don't diss the joyriders. Every Spurs fan started with a spark or draw to the club. I have a 3 year old nephew who is Spurs mad-he doesn't even get the point yet.

To all those who will only support Spurs while we are flying, I agree. But to come on here & take the flack that's handed out suggests that there are
1-trolls
2-genuine fans.

I welcome our stateside fans in the main. I don't give a shit how far away they are from the Lane as long as they are here for the ride 100%. The johnnycomelatelys can fuck off but so many overseas posters have been around here longer than many of us. I don't think they are fly by nights. It's the other snakes that deserve your froth (ahem). Bunch of tiny dancing cuntflaps.

Happy New Year to you mate. I know you see through my thinly veiled antee yankee. I hope everyone sticks around, because we're gonna be shit again.
Happy new year to you too JC. I actually understand your concerns, I think. But it's too late for me. There's no way I could get out even if I wanted to. To the extent we're outsiders, we've just got try to respect the club's history and culture. If I don't do that I should get called out.

Now go meet your dark master, Beelzebub.

I think talk of winning the league is a bit premature. It's not impossible of course but it's more than incredibly unlikely.

We've only just in the last week held a position in the top 4 for the first time all season so I think we should only be thinking about whether we can hold onto that. Which I'm starting to believe that we can...

Happy New Year to you mate. I know you see through my thinly veiled antee yankee. I hope everyone sticks around, because we're gonna be shit again.
Mate- I don't think we are going to be shit again any time soon. And even if we were, form is temporary, class is permanent.
We will see how many vanish from here if the unthinkable happens. Ironically, I bet you'd see the emergence or re emergence of many more cunts if things began to turn to shit rather than the disappearance of the people you may presently expect.

So would I seeing as united are no longer in it

:lamelashock:

as said, ManU aren't in it, but even if Chelsea won the CL it wouldn't (on its own) have any bearing on top four qualifying as the rules changed.
:dembele::dierno::pochrolleyes::pochfacepalm:
Oh yeaaaaah..... my bad, :pochbye:
Fuck you smart arses!:dembelefingers:

I'm CLEARLY not quite up to date with the goings on of recent football related matters...
so whaddaya'll reckon about our new Swiss Coach? Im sure his credentials give us an instant Underground ticket to success...
And with the likes of Ruel Fox supporting Gary Doherty and Chris Armstrong up top, I'm sure Canon League Division 1 survival is well within our reach!

My worry is that the Europa League run will take its toll as the season goes on. At the moment we are playing teams like Watford and Southampton on a level playing field. These games will be much harder when we have played during the week and they haven't. Especially if we have an FA Cup run too. Most of our direct competitors face the same problem but they have better squads to deal with it.

Last season we appeared to run out of steam around March, after then we looked tired and lost form. I am worried that this is something to do with the training methods and playing style; that the players cannot last an entire season at this level of intensity. I fear a drop off in form and fitness around the same time, if so we will need to do very well in between now and then to get top four.

My worry is that the Europa League run will take its toll as the season goes on. At the moment we are playing teams like Watford and Southampton on a level playing field. These games will be much harder when we have played during the week and they haven't. Especially if we have an FA Cup run too. Most of our direct competitors face the same problem but they have better squads to deal with it.

Last season we appeared to run out of steam around March, after then we looked tired and lost form. I am worried that this is something to do with the training methods and playing style; that the players cannot last an entire season at this level of intensity. I fear a drop off in form and fitness around the same time, if so we will need to do very well in between now and then to get top four.
Last year we had the couple of central mids who were the only competitive pair on our squad and they've played most of our matches. We've had an out of form Lamela, an out of form Dembele, an average CB pair and a clumsy Walker. Now we have back-up for these positions and I believe one or two players in January could sort our weaker positions.

Its true that the league isn t poor, its actually ridiculously rich and as a result of that most shite teams are able to buy and pay players who'd normally end up at top teams in Italy or France in stead of fucking Stoke. And as the top 4 cant buy 60 players a season (or at least cant get them motivated because they would lack game time) that leaves a pool of talent available for every club enjoying the golden chests of the PL tv deal.

You used to have about 10 teams without a game changing player in their whole set up, you now have Stoke players scoring top goals like it's nothing.

Back
Top Bottom