Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tim Sherwood
“I keep changing the system and formations in search of that spark. We need to find it. We need to find the right formation and the right players to play in it” – Tim Sherwood.

“I will use the international break to get my players fitter because they are not fit enough yet to play the way I want them to play” – Tim Sherwood.

One of the biggest concerns over Sherwood’s ability to succeed at Aston Villa was that he had never before experienced a pre-season. Both of those quotes above, made in separate post-match interviews following defeat at home to Stoke on Saturday, prove such doubts as valid. Both are issues that should have been sorted out in July, not October. The Premier League is no place for slowly warming to the task.

Villa have not won a league game or kept a clean sheet since the opening day. The only point they have picked up since day one was at home to a dismal Sunderland side, even that rightly considered to be two points dropped. Supporters are already calling for his head, and it’s difficult to blame them. For a man obsessed by win percentages when in temporary charge at Tottenham, the flip side makes for miserable reading; Sherwood has lost 62% of his league matches in charge.

A few weeks ago, Sherwood described Villa’s upcoming period as the most important in the club’s history. If that was true, the last manager you’d want in charge is someone high on talking the talk but low on walking the walk. The result has been four straight league defeats.

“I want this to be the birthplace of the new generation,” was one of Sherwood’s typically grandiose summer statements. Rather than any resurrection or rebirth, Aston Villa are merely suffering just another slow death. Premier League management is a cruel world of sink or swim. Right now, Sherwood is not waving, but drowning.

Premier League winners and losers - Football365

I think dimtim is bananas and a bad manager but in all honesty villa were a train wreck waiting to happen their squad is boring and they've been utter shite for a few seasons now. It's time for them to get relegated

I think dimtim is bananas and a bad manager but in all honesty villa were a train wreck waiting to happen their squad is boring and they've been utter shite for a few seasons now. It's time for them to get relegated

He's certainly not helped with the 50million quids worth of garbage hes' bought in.

I do feel sorry for the Villa fans. They've put up with so much shit over the last few years. They really didn't deserve Timmy "The Second Coming" Sherwood making it up as he goes along after years of Lambert and Mcleish.

But my word is it good simply because it's not us, there is some absolute gold in that Villa Forum thread.

I'm pretty sure this is a big social experiment and we are the guinea pigs. Lets see how far you can push a group of fans before they break mentally.

Why we gave an inexperienced rookie one of the biggest jobs in English football I have absolutely no idea. It's time to go now Tim.

He just played 5 4 1 at home to Stoke in October and left our 2 most gifted attacking players on the bench.

Just think how bad that actually is !

Puts it all into context when our fans are bitching and whining about us "not having cover at DM"

Rarely have I actually celebrated a Spurs manager being fired but the day this clown got the can I was practically doing cartwheels.

Remember all that snidey shit he was saying about us in the weeks after he left. Not so clever now are you? And I can't see his buddy jamie backing him up any more.

Doing fantastic things at Aston Villa. Re-writing the way football is played. Taking Villa straight to the top. We never should have sacked him; they're playing excellent football right now.

:kanehand:

Following is imminent sacking - I hope he's found out for good and exposed as a chancer charlatan who's never to manage above Conference level again.

Sherwood for the trees
Sam Wallace may have moved from the Independent to become the Daily Telegraph’s chief football writer (congratulations etc), but his feelings of love towards Tim Sherwood haven’t changed. No siree.

‘Tim Sherwood, the Villa manager, goes into Saturday’s game against Chelsea with the unenviable task of making the club’s brave summer transfer strategy work, safe in the knowledge that it will be him politely ushered out the gates should it fail,’ Wallace begins. Textbook absolving of blame in the second para.

‘At Villa, this summer’s policy of buying almost exclusively young players with the emphasis on potential has so far left them 18th with four points from eight games. Their manager is now obliged to oversee his new charges’ development in the midst of a relegation fight.’

Poor Tim, forced to deal with all those kids that aren’t up to it.

It’s worth that they’re only ‘in the midst of a relegation fight’ because Sherwood hasn’t won a league game since the opening day. They did start on the same points as everyone else.

Secondly, this ‘summer policy of buying almost exclusively young players’ is a load of toot. Here is a list of Aston Villa’s summer signings, in age ascending order: Adama Traore (19), Jordan Amavi (21), Jordan Veretout (22), Jordan Ayew (24), Idrissa Gueye (26), Scott Sinclair (26), Micah Richards (27), Rudy Gestede (27), Jose Angel Crespo (28), Mark Bunn (30), Joleon Lescott (33).

The average age of those signings is 25.7, and Amavi – the second youngest – has arguably been their best player this season.

It’s almost as if there is another reason why Sherwood might be struggling…

Mediawatch: Firmino kissed his wife!!!! - Football365

Back
Top Bottom