Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

These reactions. Lol.

Call yourself fans? Alot of you are pathetic. Ahh, if only Gibbs wasn't on the line.

It's ironic that you mentioned me in regards to this. You don't read my posts obviously because even in my positive team thread I SAID POCH WAS STUPID BEFORE THE TEAM WAS ANNOUNCED.

So you get it wrong on both counts. Drag up my name to pander to my fan club, then get everything backwards with the point you are making. I'm not a Poch happy clapper. So nice backfire.

Get back to googling under the radar players mentioned on here then pretending you know all about them.

Its not about money!!!!

This was Woolwich...That transcends money.

Calling out people for NOT being true fans for complaining about Poch putting out a second/third string team?

This was the scum.

"True fan" chest beating from you = pandering and fluffing your own ego. Esp since you have another teams colors in your avatar. You don't get it. Poch does not get it.

When keeping it real goes wrong.
I'm not interested in getting one over on Woolwich. That's small time. I want us to be BETTER than them. Sure, we could have beat them yesterday by playing full strength against their second/third string, that'd been great back in the early 00s or 90s when we were mid table dogshit and needed to beat them on a one off day so we could celeberate our cup final. Yay, win the battle but ultimately lose the war.

I don't think we're that type of club anymore and I don't want us to be that club anymore. I think we've come along way when we can play a second string against Woolwich, deserve a win but ultimately lose due to an error or a freak volley from outside the box. We've come along way from getting a rare win over them and celebrating it like we've won the league.

I'm sure many of you on here will take this post as me not caring that we lost to Woolwich so I'm ending it here. Because that's not what I've been getting at but I'm looking at the bigger picture.

It's ironic that you mentioned me in regards to this. You don't read my posts obviously because even in my positive team thread I SAID POCH WAS STUPID BEFORE THE TEAM WAS ANNOUNCED.

So you get it wrong on both counts. Drag up my name to pander to my fan club, then get everything backwards with the point you are making. I'm not a Poch happy clapper. So nice backfire.

Get back to googling under the radar players mentioned on here then pretending you know all about them.
I wasn't dragging up your name you self righteous little shit. Kieran Gibbs, you know. The guy who played a hand in Arsenals win by clearing a shot off the line was the Gibbs I was referring too. Don't ever think you're that important that I'd mention you in any breath.

I think you don't understand what they measure. Quality of opportunity can be measured. You can measure a shot based on various factors and then compare that to other shots taken using the same factors and determine the probability of the chance being scored.

Caley explained the datapoints he's comparing on here:

And a good explanation of his methodology is here:

This is why I like expected goals. (In response to the Deadspin article.)

As far as Spurs being unique or strange with a high line, it's not that strange. It in theory leads to fewer chances being conceded, but each chance conceded is likely of higher quality. That is something which can be accounted for. Based on models which haven been shown to have accurate predictive value, and based on simple counting metrics, we're a decent team.

We create more, and better chances than the opposition, and are consistently doing so.

:saha:

LOL what is actually wrong with you

It doesnt matter. He will not back the new guy either, so why bother.
If Levy stays, Poch may as well stay. Needs full scale changes for us to grow.

The club has become a big fucking parody of itself.
Sammy the club has always been a parody of itself.
Let's not pretend there was some golden age where we were managed by the owners superbly. Maybe in the 50's and 60's, but - and that's why I asked you how old you were - I wasn't going or aware of anything then. I haven't seen it.
Have you?
Tell me when this club was run so perfectly.
I have seen us nearly relegated under a cunt who fucked us, leaving us in such a state when he fucked off for Woolwich, we were relegated the next season. Took a couple with him .
Yet we were Spurs and we stood by our club.
The most successful manager we had since Bill Nic was forced out - thank fuck we are Spurs as today some cunts would have been calling for Burkinshaws head occupying the West Stand.

We couldn't build the new West Stand competently which ruined us, and our most recent successful spell in the 80's was achieved by spending more than we had, sliding into debt and bankruptcy. We also looked like fucking amateurs with the New Shelf fiasco.
We have never been a consistent league side.
We were always known as a cup side.
We have never been very consistent in both either.
Yet we are Spurs. We support our club.

Pre ENIC - in my time - we have finished in the top 5 and had decent spells in either/both of the cups twice. 81/82 (4th, FA cup winners and LC final losers. Whelan the cunt) in 86/87 (3rd, FA cup losing finalists and SF league Cup)
Under ENIC
2006-7: 5th, QFinal FA and Semi F LC.
2009/10: 4th, Semi FA and QF LC
11/12 : 4th, SF FA cup
14/15 5th: Losing finalists L cup

14 years under ENIC 7 top 5 finishes. LC: 4 Finals, 1 win. 4 QF, 1 SF. FA Cup: 2 SF, 3 QF. 7 x in UEFA cup and 1 x CL/European cup
14 years before: 2 top 5 finishes. LC: 1 final 1 win. FA cup: 2 finals 1 win, 4 SF's. 3 x in UEFA cup
So, basically one more cup under the same time pre ENIC, but less consistent in the league ( 5 years of that pre PL) and, considering how you look at it, fewer cup runs.

Not the biggest fan of Levy/ENIC but I'd say all that above -7 years of consistency in a tougher league & regular European football - coupled with new world class facilities ( which are being improved) plus a new stadium in those 14 years is growth.

Before Chavs and City it was Man and Liverpool. How Liverpool have grown lately.
It wouldn't be too preposterous to say that if Chavs and City had not doped, we would have been regulars in CL for the last 6 years

What everyone seems to want is what they slag City and Chavs off for.
Our hated rivals did it and did it in a shoestring. So can we.
It cannot be done otherwise if you don't have a bottomless pit.
Look how that £200m training facility impacted on City's transfer spending.
I, for one, do not want to see our club like City. PSG or Chavs.

Its not about money!!!!

This was Woolwich...That transcends money.

Calling out people for NOT being true fans for complaining about Poch putting out a second/third string team?

This was the scum.

"True fan" chest beating from you = pandering and fluffing your own ego. Esp since you have another teams colors in your avatar. You don't get it. Poch does not get it.

When keeping it real goes wrong.
Nailed on right Gibbsy old boy. That team selection was an abortion. Against the scum. But don't lose faith. Leave that til Saturday afternoon.

I have to admit that the 'system' that Poch employs has frustrated me no end...a very rigorous 4-2-3-1 last season characterised for most part by...
1) our two holding/defensive MFs unable to influence the transition out of defense to any degree and,
2) our three attacking MFs failing in their defensive duties once possession had been lost in the opposition half.
That said I can see signs that the reins may have been loosened in that Mason, Alli, Carroll for example have been given license to forage
forward.
The catalyst for this appears to be the conversion of Dier's role in the team (missed Schneiderlin...nobody else suitable on the transfer radar screen).
I think the arrival of Son & N'jie has awakened our 'butterflies' up front.
Last night I saw Eriksen making tackles!!!!
IMHO we've moved to stage 2 of the Poch philosophy.

I have to admit that the 'system' that Poch employs has frustrated me no end...a very rigorous 4-2-3-1 last season characterised for most part by...
1) our two holding/defensive MFs unable to influence the transition out of defense to any degree and,
2) our three attacking MFs failing in their defensive duties once possession had been lost in the opposition half.
That said I can see signs that the reins may have been loosened in that Mason, Alli, Carroll for example have been given license to forage
forward.
The catalyst for this appears to be the conversion of Dier's role in the team (missed Schneiderlin...nobody else suitable on the transfer radar screen).
I think the arrival of Son & N'jie has awakened our 'butterflies' up front.
Last night I saw Eriksen making tackles!!!!
IMHO we've moved to stage 2 of the Poch philosophy.

I think we're getting to where Poch wants us to be but it's been and still is a very slow process. I have no doubt when everyone is fit and we have our best eleven out we will look brilliant. We saw signs in the second half against Palace when Eriksen come on, add the likes of a fully fit Danny Rose to that and I think we have the makings of an outstanding team.

We've already got rid of the cancers of Adebayor and Kaboul and those not good enough in Paulinho, Capoue etc. - next season we'll hopefully get rid of Fazio and promote Cameron Carter-Vickers as fourth/fifth choice centre half as he seems more suited to the way we play, just needs the experience. But whilst we have a lot of players, the depth to come in and do a similar job to those they are replacing isn't at the required standard. Saying that though, if we had a fit squad of players, we'd probably have played Bentaleb in central midfield as part of our second string and we'd probably have had a better chance than with Carroll there.

Philosophy my arse
Mate. There is a philosophy. Put Poch in charge of Citeh or Chavs, he will succeed. Because he can buy whoever he wants to fix a problem. Put Mourinho in charge of our lot...he'd last 2 weeks (cunt). Poch fucked up very badly last night. No excuses. Even from ardent supporters. But I will try to disagree without a cunt off on the philosophy. He can't go out & spend a shed load on one player. He has brought some quality in through youth/transfer policy & that must be good moving forward?. His philosophy has to match the ambitions of the club. Does the philosophy of the club match his ambitions? Or is he another shit attempt to replace King Harry Redknapp? If so, was King Harry a shit attempt at Sir Billy Nicholson? Where do you draw the line between the past, the present or the future? Fuck me. One tug on a reefer & I'm debating this shit...again.

So can one of you Pooch apologists explain his philosophy when we were chasing the game against the Scum?

He brings on Son and plays him deep.

He brings on N'jie and plays him wide left.

He leaves an out of form Harry on his own against 4/5 defenders plus a good keeper in their box and we then proceed to lump high balls into their area and wonder why we can't equalise!

Philosophy?

Pooch wouldn't know a philosophy is one bit him on the nose!

Get rid of this useless cunt now!

:pochbye:

Enough is enough!

I wouldn't allow him to coach a 12 yr old playing subbuteo!

The endless enigma Lamela was starting to show signs of coming good and this muppet drops him for lightweight Carroll in a NLD!

Go on a cattle drive in Argentina and don't come back!

Wanker!

LOL

Look who is disagreeing with me!

A racist Gooner troll and an absolute moron!

Goodnite

:eriksenlol:

So can one of you Pooch apologists explain his philosophy when we were chasing the game against the Scum?

He leaves an out of form Harry on his own against 4/5 defenders plus a good keeper in their box and we then proceed to lump high balls into their area and wonder why we can't equalise!

Philosophy?

Pooch wouldn't know a philosophy is one bit him on the nose!

Get rid of this useless cunt now!

Rather than a disagree, I prefer a more gentlemanly:dembelefingers:

I'm not interested in getting one over on Woolwich. That's small time. I want us to be BETTER than them. Sure, we could have beat them yesterday by playing full strength against their second/third string, that'd been great back in the early 00s or 90s when we were mid table dogshit and needed to beat them on a one off day so we could celeberate our cup final. Yay, win the battle but ultimately lose the war.

I don't think we're that type of club anymore and I don't want us to be that club anymore. I think we've come along way when we can play a second string against Woolwich, deserve a win but ultimately lose due to an error or a freak volley from outside the box. We've come along way from getting a rare win over them and celebrating it like we've won the league.

I'm sure many of you on here will take this post as me not caring that we lost to Woolwich so I'm ending it here. Because that's not what I've been getting at but I'm looking at the bigger picture.
Do you honestly think that we're going to finish higher than them this year and we're going to"win the war"?

Plus, why the feck can't we try and win the war AND kick them out of a cup? Why are the two mutually exclusive????

Last edited:

For the most part, these are the natural positions for both players (albeit Son has some flexibility - as he has already shown), and that's why we should be under no illusion that we had a hole in our squad when the window closed and we didn't have Berahino. It's also why Kane is still being played up front in most games.

lol apologists out in full force

When has winning ever been detrimental? This isn't fucking FK Qarabag away. This is Woolwich at home.

They changed their entire 11. We still had Eriksen, Chadli, Kane, Dier and Rose.

That's fucking rich. "error and freak volley". You could excuse every defeat with that kind of logic as though we were somehow unlucky rather than worse for every game.

What bloody war are you talking about? The one where Pochettino's philosophy shows up and we win the League or even just a Cup? He's been here for more than a season and we've seen his purported philosophy show up half a dozen times and at random. That's not what I'd call confidence. We have a greater chance of winning the League Cup than the League, unless you are part of the "fourth is a trophy" brigade, so I'd say we lost a significant match, Woolwich or not.

Back
Top Bottom