Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So when was the last time we took a cup seriously then? And how did we do in other competitions or the league in those seasons? Just wondering.
Carling Cup 2008 I suppose
sport-graphics-2008_691135a.jpg

And how did we perform following that?
Very Spursy

Manchester United won 4–1 on penalties, after the match ended as a goalless draw in normal time. United converted all four of their penalties, while Tottenham missed two of their three. It was only the second time that the League Cup Final had been decided by a penalty shootout.[4]

So... that's:

Europa League 2014: Outplayed and beaten in the first knockout match
FA Cup 2014: Lost at home in the first match
League Cup 2014: Lost in the FINAL!!! (err... playing all lower league and one bottom of the table Prem club on the way)
League Cup 2015: Lost at home in the first match

:chadliblow:
fuck you for posting that :avbfu:

Seriously, that's really confronting if you look at it that way.

Very Spursy

Manchester United won 4–1 on penalties, after the match ended as a goalless draw in normal time. United converted all four of their penalties, while Tottenham missed two of their three. It was only the second time that the League Cup Final had been decided by a penalty shootout.[4]

I meant more league wise. I tend to remember awful form following 2 points from 8 games the following season. I'm of course not blaming the cup for this form but we didn't tend to take the cups seriously during our most successful period of the last 10 years.

Carling cup. I bet you can't name the last 5 winners.

I meant more league wise. I tend to remember awful form following 2 points from 8 games the following season. I'm of course not blaming the cup for this form but we didn't tend to take the cups seriously during our most successful period of the last 10 years.

Carling cup. I bet you can't name the last 5 winners.
My favorite was Birmingham City beating Woolwich in 2011 but yeah I know what you mean

If we fail to finish 4th, then all these early ko in cup competitions to concentrate solely on the league should be taken into consideration when assessing him.

fuck you for posting that :avbfu:

Seriously, that's really confronting if you look at it that way.

It gets even worse if I mention that Poch's Southampton (2013/2014) went out of both FA Cup and League Cup against the first top flight opposition they played in those competitions too... in both cases it was Sunderland.

He's got form.

"It's a big game. We know that it's a very big game for us and for our supporters. We expect a very tough game because the derby is always tough.

"It arrives in a good moment. We have good motivation and we are excited to play against Woolwich; you can feel it in the team."

I aint getting all this Poch hate. It was the rumbalows/milk/capital one cup for fucks sake. It`s a second rate competition which big clubs famously use to rotate there squad and give some game time to squad players. (we are a big club, aren`t we). If we`d put our strongest team out against the filths second string then what would that be saying. It would be like admitting it was our cup final. We gave Woolwich the respect they deserve,. i.e none....We lost, but we lost probably the most unimportant match we could ever play against them. Whats more worrying to me is that so many of you consider last nights squabble more important than the upcoming match against Man City. That just shows how much the club, and our expectations have fallen over the last 3 or 4 years. We probably wont beat City either, but this is damn well the sort of game a club of our standing should be targeting as the big one. Not some minor 3rd round cup match, albeit against our local rivals. Fuck Woolwich, fuck their meaningless little victory last night, and fuck Daniel Levy for lowering our expectations so much that chasing the champions league positions is no longer considered a viable and ultimate target.

edit. I think I put this in the wrong thread. It should probalby be moved to the Woolwich match thread.

Last edited:
So what if it is a meaningless cup, it's a trophy, and it's the last trophy we won..

Cl teams can afford to write it off, we can't. We won't get relegated ( well you never know with this cunt) , we won't win the league, we won't win the europa and we won't come 4th.

So that leaves the league cup and the fa cup, and we've just thrown one away against our biggest rivals....its fucking madness.

Has anyone seen our list of honours in the last ten years.....one fucking trophy....who gives a fuck about Saturdays game...it's for a league that we just make up the numbers and exist in at the minute, down to seeing our players and hiring shit managers.

People think that if we somehow manage to beat city on saturday then that Argentinian twats selection last night was justified...really? In what way is it justified to play a weak line up in a competition that you stand a great chance of winning, to compensate for a league game in which you have a position to realistically land in between 5th and 9th?

I bet this prick does exactly the same thing in the fa cup, and people on here will still try and justify it. Even. If our next league game is against fucking watford.

This club needs a reality check and needs to get its priorities right, and it might be a good start by firing that fucking Argentinian twat.

I aint getting all this Poch hate. It was the rumbalows/milk/capital one cup for fucks sake. It`s a second rate competition which big clubs famously use to rotate there squad and give some game time to squad players. (we are a big club, aren`t we). If we`d put our strongest team out against the filths second string then what would that be saying. It would be like admitting it was our cup final. We gave Woolwich the respect they deserve,. i.e none....We lost, but we lost probably the most unimportant match we could ever play against them. Whats more worrying to me is that so many of you consider last nights squabble more important than the upcoming match against Man City. That just shows how much the club, and our expectations have fallen over the last 3 or 4 years. We probably wont beat City either, but this is damn well the sort of game a club of our standing should be targeting as the big one. Not some minor 3rd round cup match, albeit against our local rivals. Fuck Woolwich, fuck their meaningless little victory last night, and fuck Daniel Levy for lowering our expectations so much that chasing the champions league positions is no longer considered a viable and ultimate target.

edit. I think I put this in the wrong thread. It should probalby be moved to the Woolwich match thread.

EL is a 2nd rate competition, at least in Poch eyes as he doesn't really seem to fancy it. Now the CC is also a 2nd rate competition. I guess the same for FA cup as well. So we are just going to try and finish 5th every season? Any manager could do a job here if we are concentrating solely on the league and ignoring every cup competition.

Cup competitions are the only chance that we can win a trophy. And we don't always win a trophy nowadays and you are saying we can give it up easily because it's 2nd rate?

What other competition are we realistically going to win?

The last time we won anything other than the league cup is 24 years ago...

Yes we have high expectations, yes we are chasing champions league.. but for what? The chance to win a better trophy when we can't even win the "shit" ones?

How are we to cope with Champions league? Your strongest 11 has to play midweek and the weekend, I don't see why they couldn't this time. Man City played a ridiculously strong 11 against a wank Sunderland side after playing that team midweek the week before and on the weekend. Why can't we?

I am an a big poch fan (and still am), but this is not the first time he has fucked us over in the cups. This is the 3rd time in the last two seasons. (Europa / FA cup and now the league cup this season).

Did he fuck us over, or put out a squad that he expected to do the job and just choked?

If Soldado hadn't made a total hash of a great scoring chance against Fiorentina would we have lost the tie? If Fazio didn't have a horrible game last night, and some people get too sloppy in their defending, would we have lost?

He picked the squad and the tactics, but it's up to the players to execute them. Not sure exclusively dumping the blame on one person, be they player or the coach, is accurate.

We could very well have beaten Fiorentina with the squad sent out. We could have done the same last night. Sadly, we didn't in either case. That's something that does happen in football, from time to time.

Cup competitions are the only chance that we can win a trophy. And we don't always win a trophy nowadays and you are saying we can give it up easily because it's 2nd rate?
I'm saying that a club of our stature and fanbase should NOT be in a position where we prioritise a capital one cup tie over a league game. Regardless of the opposition. I would hope Poch feels the same way.

Fucking avb done exactly the same thing. I remember that fucking shambles of a defence against leeds away at Elland road in the fa cup......he also done the same thing in cc against norwich....we went out of both competitions at the first hurdle.

And now we have the same thing with this useless cunt..threw away the fa cup last year against leicester.

Nearly fucked up the semi final in the cc last year, luckily we played weak sides to get there.

Now this....and in january he will do the same thing again, in the fa cup.

Why can't we just have a manager that has some common fucking sense and realism... is that just so hard to ask for

the fact Poch is getting all the hate is a little unfair... surely the players he selected KNEW it was a NLD, or did they have to check Twitter first to see who we were playing? If the players can't get themselves going for this game, then they've fuck all chance of impressing enough to maybe get a start in THE BIG ONE on Saturday! Cos obviously that's all we care about.. the funny thing is, if we DID beat City on Saturday... it wouldn't half help the Arse out in their 'pursuit' of the title... which they're gonna be a lot closer to than we are... and yet they managed to win last night, and it probably won't derail their entire season!!! Ironic.

Back
Top Bottom