Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You know, this one really gets me. People say they don`t want a arab or a russian billionaire like those at City and Chelsea who are happy to pump their own coin into the club in the pursuit of success and trophies on the pitch. Oh no no no ! we`re to classy for that shit......... But are quite happy to have an English billionaire tax exile who`s only interested in keeping his coin in his own pocket waiting for big pay off when the apples are ripe enough. Weird

Couldn't agree more. As others have said, we are playing the corporate sell out game just as much as anybody else but losing at it. If you don't think we are just have a look at our preseason/postseason tours, new stadium naming rights, red kit sponsors and whatever else you can think of.

For me it's less about justifying how we operate in a corporate market that is almost impossible to avoid in the modern game. More about questioning where the money that's bankrolled the top two over the last decade or so has come from.

The bond villain made his money by robbing from the russian taxpayer, and the Sheikh uses his football club to launder the image of a regime guilty of some of the worst human rights abuse in modern times. In fact both owners are exploiting their clubs and the Premier League for their own political gain.

Joe Lewis may be a tax avoider of the worst kind, but he made his money legitimately enough.

What's done is done. Either you're happy with our dealings in the transfer market or you're not. Time to get behind them and do our bit as "supporters" and follow them every step of the way.

We should probably concentrate a bit more on getting behind the team now rather than bitching at one and other!
99.9% of us dont go to games so the players wont know if we are are behind them or not.

I'm sorry, are we talking about our transfer window, this season's expectations, or success of Spurs and teams around us over the past decade? That's a very vague and broad statement. To take each one -

- We have left ourselves in a position very similar to almost every club in the league around us. We're no different.
- This season our expectations are probably the same they have been for a few years now. Ideally 4th, but realistically we should get top 6.
- The clubs around us are, or were successful, more recently than us, yes. But are they ALL successful now? No. Man Utd aren't. Nor are Liverpool. In fact both those clubs are an embarrassment given the money they've spent and what they've ended up with. Do Man Utd, Liverpool or Woolwich have any more of a chance of winning a trophy this season than us? I'd say no. None of us will win the league, and we all have a good chance of a cup run. We have the advantage of being in 3 that we could potentially win.

When all is said and done, the race for top 4 wont include us, but it will include them.

The point you miss is not that we should have paid 30M for him.

But we should have bid for him 7wks before our first bid on August 18. We should have known very soon after July 1st whether we could sign him or not. Then we could have moved on another target.

People acting like Spurs are a victim here, because WBA didnt sell us their player.
i think some people just wont accept criticism of the club.
left with 1 striker & still some defend the club.
its unreal.
its amazing how many people have a weird issue about accepting criticism.

By the way, I think it's ridiculous how some people are calling Poch a puppet. Poch doesn't take shit from Levy. Levy gave him two second rate players, he sent him a message by not playing them(whether it was right or wrong) and they were gone next summer.
if poch isnt a puppet, then its very worrying he is ok with 1 striker.

Ok one striker who we could GET in the entire fucking world? Martial pursuit was done months ago when we were priced out. Pato was clearly a long shot desperation time signing. WBA made it clear they were not budging on Berahino. Yet clearly outside of Berahino we pursued next to nothing in the last few weeks. Come on we aren't Millwall we can't find a decent striker option anywhere int he worlkd we can get for £10-20m?

Are you not critical of anything our club has done this window? Just curious.
no. if u point out a mistake the club make then u are a bad supporter. anyway, the sun was out earlier.

Id be more worried (not to mention a massive bell end) if i was a goon. Their first team is thinner than ours in a lot of areas, with a terrible injury record. We were the fittest team in the league last year. Weeks and weeks without a single squad player out due to injury.

Add to that a number of very exciting prospects to call on in the cups. If only one out of Pritchard, Alli, Winks, Veljkovic, Onomah has the type of breakthrough season that Mason or Kane had last year then we are in a much healthier position than most would suggest.

Can't lie and say that i wouldn't have been happy to see Witsel or Berahino come in. They didn't. So we move on and keep the faith.
so do u think we will finish higher than them?

This transfer window bellyaching was really put into context for me during the most recent episode of "Football Weekly". Millbanks Millbanks already alluded to this, but nearly every club can say they didn't have a great transfer window. United spent over the top for Martial, whom even Philippe Auclair says he knows nearly nothing about. The scum didn't buy a single outfield player and have as many strikers as we do. And so on. Spurs, as is typical, only got a few minutes about Berahino, but it was only a few minutes because everything else was catastrophic for the other clubs. And they spent a while (Barry Glendenning especially) rubbishing the idea that Berahino would've been a messiah for us.

Fans of every club want instant results, so clubs are pressured into buying just for the sake of buying, and so it goes. If I recall correctly, the only two clubs the pundits said had a good window were WBA and Swansea. Consider that.

I just wish I had a match to look forward to tomorrow, because this anxiety is ridiculous.

Millbanks Millbanks already alluded to this, but nearly every club can say they didn't have a great transfer window..
But only one club can say they ended the window with just one striker in their squad. And only one club and say they have spent fack all on the squad other than money recouped in player sales over the last 6 years.
I think, as fans, we have more reason than most to feel short changed

When all is said and done, the race for top 4 wont include us, but it will include them.
No surprise. Look at what they all spent (bar Woolwich). Martial for £35m+. Sterling £50m. De Bruyne £55m. Firmino £30m. Benteke £35m.

The more amazing thing is that we are even still close to that lot, not that we might not be.

No surprise. Look at what they all spent (bar Woolwich). Martial for £35m+. Sterling £50m. De Bruyne £55m. Firmino £30m. Benteke £35m.

The more amazing thing is that we are even still close to that lot, not that we might not be.

So when we were spunking 110M over AVB´s head it didnt count?

Its not just about spending, its about having some kind of strategy to your transfer window.
We´ve all laughed at arsenals signings over the years.....oh yeah...ha fucking ha

Benteke has looked pretty awesome so far.

He was shit against Woolwich, should have buried them cunts in the first half. Obviously scored against Bournemouth from 3 yards but it shouldn't have been allowed. I wouldn't suggest he's been awesome so far whatsoever, he does have the potential to be though.

It's this shit that fucking annoys me and other people more than most. It's not a case of Tesco fuck me off so I'll shop at Sainsbury's, BT are shit I'll go to Talk Talk etc, this is our club. Before ENIC and after ENIC, during dark days and great days.

If you feel that IF,

Regarding pragmatist conduct:
I think it's a generational cultural gap, most of us grew up in a time football wasn't all that merchandised and money play a smaller role. Watford could come runners up, you paid 50p at the gate, and big TV money hadn't poured in yet. The only league that ran modernly back than was the Italian (and it hadn't changed since).
Levy is a product of business culture and that culture is now what's running global football, FIFA is money hungry monopoly and clubs are just trying to expand their scope to new markets to increase revenues and compete. It may be painful to see but it's a corporate world now. All those clubs that are spending like there's no tomorrow (dippers, manure etc) are going to find out soon enough the market has it's own rules and misconduct implicates crisis.

Levy is trying to steer the ship during turbulent times for football, it was always a long term game for him - expand, keep the books right and hope that when things settle we'll float about the others who may had bigger potential but had worse management. He understands the bargaining power of the top 4 and shitty is currently stronger but that won't last forever and in 5-10 years time he'll take joy in pissing on their graves (my bet is on pool).

So Ofc. us supporters who view football in different manner have a hard time with this approach but on the long run we (the club and the supporters) we'll have to adapt to the new rules or go bust.

p.s this post was about the macro approach I'm sticking up for, I do think the micro approach this window was terrible

Being pragmatic in your interviews, and not stirring up problems doesn't make you a puppet.

He is a gutless puppet and was only appointed because of those qualifications as he certainly hasn't any managerial ones!

Welcome to the Danes' world of illusions!

He wasn't being pragmatic in interviews!

He lied through his fat arse!

No he didn't stir up any problems as he's terrified of upsetting Levy which he should be because Levy will fire him before the end of the year!

:pochbye:

For me it's less about justifying how we operate in a corporate market that is almost impossible to avoid in the modern game. More about questioning where the money that's bankrolled the top two over the last decade or so has come from.

The bond villain made his money by robbing from the russian taxpayer, and the Sheikh uses his football club to launder the image of a regime guilty of some of the worst human rights abuse in modern times. In fact both owners are exploiting their clubs and the Premier League for their own political gain.

Joe Lewis may be a tax avoider of the worst kind, but he made his money legitimately enough.

He's still a cunt of an owner though insisting any spend on new players comes from outgoing transfers, ticket sales and TV money while waiting for a huge pay off!

:wansum:

Back
Top Bottom