Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his point is that Berahino is not an "out and out" striker. He is an attacking player that can play in different positions ... the same way Liverpool used Sterling (and City are now doing the same) and the way Woolwich play with Walcott.

I see the point, but I am not sure. It is a debate I guess about whether or not you need a clear focal point (what would have been called a target man in the past) for the team to function.

Isnt it funny that Berahino is not an out and out striker so its silly......but the same people are happy to use Chadli, Njie, Son and Lamela as strikers on the basis that they can play there...?

The fa cup starts in January. So really it's 3 competitions until we have the chance to finally bring in a back up out and out striker. And theres a decent chance we won't be worrying about the league cup for too long given our first opposition in that

Not that any of this excuses anything but thought I'd make the point

Isnt it funny that Berahino is not an out and out striker so its silly......but the same people are happy to use Chadli, Njie, Son and Lamela as strikers on the basis that they can play there...?
I am not really following you there, none of the players mentioned are "out and out" strikers ... that is the point of discussion: To be effective, do you need "out and out" strikers or not?

Barcelona play without a traditional centre forward, and last time they had one (Zlatan) they bounced him out of the club. Maybe they are not a good example, because if you have Messi and Suarez normal rules don't apply.

You could add Spain when they won the World Cup. They played Xavi, Iniesta and Pedro with David Villa. Villa was less a traditional striker than e.g. Torres, who was available, but they didn't pick him.

Liverpool played most of last season with 3 attackers, but none of them were traditional strikers ... Coutinho, Sterling and either Ibe or Lallana. Could have been because Sturridge was injured, but they had other forwards at the club who never played (Lambert, Balotelli, Borini). Now they have a "proper" centre forward, but whether it is better is still debatable.

Last edited:

Yeh if Son was a striker why would we go after Berahino, Berahino has played many times as a striker for West Brom as well as wide forward and he has done it in the Prem. now we are looking at either playing players out of position or bringing Ade in from the cold.

My first posting on this site, having given up on footymad, and Devonspur - Bazili - recommended it. Gotta add my two penn'orth. Didn't want us to go for Berahino - reminded me of Commoli's 'inspired' purchase of Bent some years ago - but definitely think that Harry needs some support up front.

Yet Zin claimed that Berahino was waste on that basis
Maybe that wasn't what Zin was trying to say, he should speak for himself I guess.
I am just trying to work out what Poch is trying to do with the squad without much to go on.
He is part of that Bielsa/Guardiola/Simeone way of playing, and the players we have and have bought fit that picture. Berahino also fits it, but Charlie Austin doesn't.

eHWKWUu.gif

you obviously don't know much about the UK Welfare system :pritchardeyes:

The thing that sticks out is we made 4 bids for Berahino....we expected a deal to get done. We wanted Wanyama, and there was enough noise from us and talks between agents for him to hand in a transfer request.

Therefore Poch and Levy clearly thought we needed these 2 players. Despite this he's "happy" with his squad. How can he be, 2 players he arguably wanted to start in the first 11 won't be here.

OZHotspur OZHotspur ... wages stuff is iffy, so I left it out ... but here you go.

Summer 2015 Transfer Window Summary

In:
Heung-Min Son ---- (Leverkusen) ---- £21.9m
Clinton N'Jie ---- (Lyon) ---- £10m
Toby Alderweireld ---- (Atletico Madrid) ---- £11.4m
Kevin Wimmer ---- (FC Köln) ---- £4.3m
Kieran Trippier ---- (Burnley) ---- £3.5m

Out:
Aaron Lennon ---- (Everton) ---- £4.5m
Ismail Azzaoui ---- (Vfl Wolfsburg) ---- £2m
Roberto Soldado ---- (Villareal) ---- £10m
Vlad Chiriches ---- (Napoli) ---- £4.5m
Benji Stambouli ---- (PSG) ---- £6m
Younes Kaboul ---- (Sunderland) ---- £3m
Etienne Capoue ---- (Watford) ---- £6.3m
Lewis Holtby ---- (Hamburg) ---- £4.6m
Paulinho ---- (Guangzhou Evergrande) ---- £9.8m
Ryan Fredericks ---- (Bristol City) ---- £250,000
Grant Hall ---- (Queens Park Rangers) ---- £100,000

DeAndre Yedlin ---- (Sunderland) ---- Loan
Dominic Ball ---- (Rangers) ---- Loan
Nathan Oduwa ---- (Rangers) ---- Loan
Shaquile Coulthirst ---- (Wigan Athletic) ---- Loan
Connor Ogilvie ---- (Stevenage Town) ---- Loan
Grant Ward ---- (Rotherham United) ---- Loan

Daniel Akindayini, Jordan Archer, Cristian Ceballos, Bongani Khumalo, Aaron McEneff, Alexander McQueen, Jonathan Miles, Lloyd Ross, Tomislav Gomelt ----- All Free

Brad Friedel ---- Retired

Total:
Spent = £51.1m
Earned = £51.05m
Net = Only £50,000 Loss

Credits: SC, Reddit, TFC, and the Interweb

BVXSzi.gif

You see, this is what I don't get. In net terms we spend fuck all again. All the other clubs do have a net spend. Yet we end the window with one striker because Levy refused to meet WBA's valuation. How can anyone justify this. How ?

You see, this is what I don't get. In net terms we spend fuck all again. All the other clubs do have a net spend. Yet we end the window with one striker because Levy refused to meet WBA's valuation. How can anyone justify this. How ?
Perhaps because Berahino is not worth their valuation? Perhaps because West Brom really did not want to sell? Typically 4 bids being denied, might mean that a club does not want to sell their player.

I've seen Adebayor running his legs off and working hard on numerous occasions at the lane over the last few years tbh, a lot of this laziness thing people go on about is bullshit for the most part.
Berbatov and VdV were far lazier and more unfit players but we all loved them.
It's not about the workrate, just, an issue of which I don't agree with you overall either (in particular not the comparison with VdV, wtf is that about!).

It's also about striving to be your best, to perform, to be a pro and ultimately to deliver your talent to your club.

Adebayor, when he could be bothered, was absolutely unplayable. Pacy, strong as a mammoth, brilliant touch, bundless of skill and a lethal finisher.

Only, the games where he could be bothered barely counts onto a hand of fingers. There in the point of lazyness.

Perhaps because Berahino is not worth their valuation? Perhaps because West Brom really did not want to sell? Typically 4 bids being denied, might mean that a club does not want to sell their player.
Maybe he wasn't worth their valuation , but they wasted a transfer window to undermine the
player , pay in instalments ( yes this normal but levy would have taken the piss) and so
many add ons ( that we would never meet as we win nothing ) that it was not worth WBA dealing
with us .
The transfer policy of buying mainly sell on targets is to limiting . While other mid table teams can buy good value quality to improve the first 11 and sell on value is not considered we are stuck
In this fruitless football stragegy . Another Bulls up in this farce that is so destructive to any
ambitions but hey ho , who cares, the owner couldn't give a toss.

Oh stop the Berahino tug-of-war.

The whole point of us haggling over him as a last resort 5 days before a transfer deadline is the main tragedy.

It's so fucking unprofessional, that I am lost for words

So why not have alternative targets. We've been left short in key areas , but yet again spent less in net terms than the likes of Bournmouth and Watford. Are you saying we can't afford to spend. Are we a fucking poor club on the brink. We have zero net spend for 13 successive transfer windows. Unprecedented. But its acceptable because maybe players we want exceed our valuation. ? Fuck off with your excuses fella.

Bottom line if we did meet the valuation given to us we should have done it two weeks ago not now. How on Earth can Levy gamble that the £25 million would do it, Peace might just be as big a cunt as him. We should have made the bid, if it got rejected move on not play chicken on deadline day and have no one else lined up.

We don't know if it's true but rumours are that both managers are pissed off with their chairman. West Brom fan in my office says that Pulis wanted Berahino sold and gave his word he could go if the valuation was meet and we meet it yesterday and then to use the money for a few of his own bids late bids. Pulis now has a want away striker that he gave his word too and won't play and probably one or two players less as he couldn't go after them as they didn't get the money. So they have fucked themselves almost as much as us.

Two chairmen with big fucking egos who put themselves before their clubs to look the billy big balls. Levy's haggling and Peace's small penis have left a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom