The lowest common denominator

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the thing. People keep saying we were 5th, we were 5th.

Without Kane's goals we would have been where Hull was. We conceded the same amount of goals.
I still can't get my ahead around us finishing 5th last season. We've added to the defence but we're still so slow and ponderous going forward and have no penetration.

I still can't get my ahead around us finishing 5th last season. We've added to the defence but we're still so slow and ponderous going forward and have no penetration.

Flans it was one thing pure and simple. It was Kane's Klass. Never has a team, well a Tottenham team, ever, in my lifetime, and I include Clive Allens wonder season ever relied on one man ever, so much. Even when Bale was going mental we still had other scorers and someting else to offer.

The scary thing is we have not changed anything. If Harry, and it will be completely understandable doesn't have another near golden boot season in him then we will flounder like Nick Knowles without an autocue.

Buying Berahino will not be the answer. It's a levy signing. One to sell on. Except this isn't small change. 25m should buy a finished article that will help Kane. Not the other way round, Kane is still learning and doesn't need the pressure of teaching a yoot that thinks he knows it all. Berahino can't lead a line on his own.

We are in a pickle.

Yes "last season" and that's the summit with Pooch!

All downhill now while he's in charge!

:pochbye:
hqdefault.jpg

Flans it was one thing pure and simple. It was Kane's Klass. Never has a team, well a Tottenham team, ever, in my lifetime, and I include Clive Allens wonder season ever relied on one man ever, so much. Even when Bale was going mental we still had other scorers and someting else to offer.

The scary thing is we have not changed anything. If Harry, and it will be completely understandable doesn't have another near golden boot season in him then we will flounder like Nick Knowles without an autocue.

Buying Berahino will not be the answer. It's a levy signing. One to sell on. Except this isn't small change. 25m should buy a finished article that will help Kane. Not the other way round, Kane is still learning and doesn't need the pressure of teaching a yoot that thinks he knows it all. Berahino can't lead a line on his own.

We are in a pickle.
It will at least give us pace in the final third which we chronically lack and he can score in the Premier League. Hopefully the pace either side of Kane will help him.

It will at least give us pace in the final third which we chronically lack and he can score in the Premier League. Hopefully the pace either side of Kane will help him.

So he will play 2 up?

Berahino doesn't see himself as a wide man.

He is buying Berahino as a sub for Kane. I hope Poch sees his tactics as incorrect but I'm not holding my breath.

Yea with the way football is becoming more money orientated than ever, i think our future is looking very stagnant at the moment. We can't compete with these clubs unless we change our wage structure because the better players will continue to go to these higher paying clubs. The difference between wages payed by us and L'Pool is quite astounding, and sadly I think it's going to be an indicator of how we finish in the league too. If we don't change anything we are going to have to continue; signing the players we didn't quite want in the transfer markets, hoping that we sign young talent for cheap (something that's not really worked out recently) or relying on another Kane breakout from the YT.

The most annoying thing is we are so close to that top four and with the addition of a few more 'premium' players, as listed above, we really could be in an around there. We have a great manager who employs fantastic defensive and off the ball tactics, but at the moment we are really let down in our play with the ball due to the quality we have in our squad in the attacking group in the team.

So he will play 2 up?

Berahino doesn't see himself as a wide man.

He is buying Berahino as a sub for Kane. I hope Poch sees his tactics as incorrect but I'm not holding my breath.
I'd guess they'd interchange or Kane would into the number 10 and Eriksen on the left

At least the "we finished 5th" argument has some merit, as opposed to the "we got to a cup final" shambles.

While I'd like to see Berahino at the Lane (£20m would be my ceiling) we really ought to be in for Llorente. He's experienced, and can play either instead of or alongside Kane in attack. Yes alongside, as both he and Kane have the technical ability to drop deeper or wider if required and together they would be a handful at any set piece or cross opportunity. We're screaming out for a player with the physical presence to disrupt defences.

AVB wanted Hulk because he recognised that physical, aggressive players work best in compressed spaces and Hulk has flourished in that system at Porto and Zenit (1 goal every 128 mins) despite struggling more in the Brazil team (1 goal every 277 mins) that plays more open expansive football.

Last edited:
so Soldado scores today and Capoue seems to have turned a corner.

It's about time we all realised what the problem is. It's the club its THFC.

we have an average squad, an owner who is desperate to get out, a bemused manager and a load of players who are feeding off the clubs general disregard for the punters.

They know we will empty our pockets no matter how bad it gets. They can see levy has been taking the piss for years, why wouldn't they?

We are rotten to the core, stale, in need of new input and energy, we are a rudderless shit floating down the league. The good ship Tottenham is on its way to meet Davy Jones and we are going along for the ride.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if we were going down with anything but a whimper but this bunch of average, gutless, spengs are going to bore us to the championship three years max if nothing changes.

You mongs will mock me but I've been talking levy for years and you're all just cottoning on.

It's going to be a bumpy ride brothers but unless something changes the only way is down baby.

X

Felt this moaney bitch of a post deserved a bump to signify how clueless people can be.

"We are rotten to the core, stale, in need of new input and energy, we are a rudderless shit floating down the league. The good ship Tottenham is on its way to meet Davy Jones and we are going along for the ride."

Yeah, not really looking like it Nostradamus.

I nominate Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante for the "Whiniest and Worst Prediction Thread" for 2015.

Felt this moaney bitch of a post deserved a bump to signify how clueless people can be.

"We are rotten to the core, stale, in need of new input and energy, we are a rudderless shit floating down the league. The good ship Tottenham is on its way to meet Davy Jones and we are going along for the ride."

Yeah, not really looking like it Nostradamus.

I nominate Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante for the "Whiniest and Worst Prediction Thread" for 2015.

Many thanks. Some hilarious drivel on here, and also some sensible, non hysterical views.

It's simple fact that if you are able to regularly score far more than you concede then you're more likely to win games and attain a high league position. Teams with low positive goal differences occasionally break into the top four (notably Everton in their single CL qualification) but the mean average GD of top four teams is over +30.

We ended up on +6. We scored just 6 more goals than we conceded all season. We were not a top footballing side. Statistically our goals scored / conceded was closer to the 12th place side than 4th. We were fortunate to finish 5th. How hard is that to compute?
To buy the best players you need to pay the best wages. we haven't a benefactor who's family run an oil rich country and are using football to consolidate their image pouring money in surreptitiously sidestepping ffp. Or do we have a rich Oligarch. We also have a capacity the size of spams. So how do we do attract the players we do and finish above Newcastle, Villa and them?
Ticket prices. That's how. They finance our wage Bill. Yet every cunt moans about them being so high but also wants us to pay and buy more? So higher ticket prices to pay the players or not. What is it?
We are also spending money on other stuff that is benefitting the club, like a new gaff, and we are not exactly tin pot when it comes to the treatment of our players either.
We all hark back for the good old days, the old times. The ones in 60's yes, or the 70's when we were shit or the ones spent over reaching ourselves buying and paying players we couldn't afford and going financially bust for a couple of 3rd place finishes that meant fuck all yo yo ing the table and an Fa cup. Lovely. let's sell Kane to balance the books like waddle eh?
Fuck me we have never been so consistent in a tougher league, before chavs and City and when we were considered one of the big 5 with Everton.
We also have the best GD half way through, so we now must be the best team in the league according to LLB pt II

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom