Is the Europa league a stage too far?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree,
my main issue with the club into regards to the attitude towards Europa League is that if Levy and co. want us to be a champions league club, well we should be doing well and qualifying for EL every season.
It's like a League 1 club having Premier League aspirations saying
'We don't want to bother with the Championship and skip straight to the PL'
Our players at the current moment get tired by the end of the season playing EL, how are they going to cope playing against much higher quality opposition in the Champions League if they can't succed against EL opposition?

I think once we start to treat the competition with a little respect that it deserves (especially in the knockout stages) and not give a fuck what people say about us,
'Oh, are spurs playing in that euro league crap again where the average opposition playing rating if only a 75 on FIFA or whatever'
The better that we can start build something towards eventually becoming a regular champions league club (to which I don't personally care, but that's the obvious goal for ENIC and Levy)

Unless the qualification rules change for the cl, the only way of qualifying for it will be to win the europa.
The next window of oppotunity will be when wenger leaves Woolwich and even then their new manager might hit the ground running.

Anyone who thinks not being in this competition will make a difference to our cl target is going to be dissapointed. The top 4 this season, will be the top 4 next season.

But with swansea winning last night, I can se e us finishing 8th.

Fuck the EL. Cunt of a competition.

What I wrote a year ago. Fuck Platini, Fuck UEFA.

Because it was created for the purpose of monetary gain and not improving the competition. Hiding behind the facade that it was created to open the competition to some of the more ''minor'' nations.

It is a diluted piss poor competition until the KO stages. It's not entirely The Europa League's fault. The UEFA Cup was sullied in 1999 when it merged with the Cup Winner's Cup.

No matter what anyone argues the group stages are farcical. We pissed our group and we have been terrible all year and all that games like Tottenham v. Sheriff achieve is more money in UEFA's pocket. It doesn't improve Sheriff and was a detriment to us.

All you have to do is look through a lot of the results in the group stages to see horrible mismatches where the stronger sides roll over weaker ones.

Yes, there are some upsets and stories of minnows upsetting the odds but none, truly, have a chance in this competition. That is what the Intertoto was for, and as much as it was mocked, it created glory for clubs that don't see it often, but wasn't attended very well due to the smaller fanbases of these clubs thus UEFA seeing an opportunity to capitalise. UEFA merged it and once again the UEFA Cup was diluted.

This, and many more reasons I can't be arsed to go on about are why this current competition in it's current format is a shadow of the UEFA Cup.

Just like the new European Championship setup it's borne out of capitalism and not football.

That said, I'd love to win it.

Last edited:
I think true that we would struggle more with balancing CL and league than EL and league, despite the Tues-Sat/Weds-Sun vs Thurs-Sun dynamics and having 2 more games. If you remember our season in the CL the players were truly knackered by the end of the season and often seemed not to give 100% in a league game before a big CL game.

However, it's too much to expect the same small pool of players to play all these games. It's not something that can be learned, it's just too much to take physically without burning out or getting injured. The teams that do manage it not only have much better players but a much better squad, which they use with a proper squad rotation system. We need this in place before we can think about balancing European and domestic football.

As I've said before, I think we should either prioritise trying to finish fourth OR merely avoiding relegation and trying to win all three cup competitions, until we have a good enough squad to combine them. At the moment my preference would be trying to win the cups and qualify for the CL through the EL route, and resting players during some league games. Though it looks like the decision will be made for us as I can't see us getting anymore points in the Prem this season which will probably mean finishing 8th.

Maybe Spurs will celebrate not qualifying with an open top bus down the High Road and a rendition of "we're not going on a European tour" as it looks suspiciously as though we've been doing our best to avoid it!

A lot of this talk seems to be focused on how well we'd compete in the Champions League, which I think is a bit daft.

The point of getting into the top 4 is the money you gain from it. Whether we get knocked out of the knock out stages or not, we'd get £20-30 million. Has any team ever qualified for the CL for the first time and got into the Semi finals? I doubt it, and they shouldn't be expected to. We're not going to be competitive in the CL for at least 5 years, even if we qualified. We will be richer for it though.

One good thing about the Europa League is that it helps our European ranking, meaning when we do get Cl we will be seeded higher.

Is top 4 even a realistic target? Do you really see Chelsea(with Mourinho), Woolwich(Wenger), Man City(with possibly a new manager) and Man Utd(an proven and experienced LvG) slipping up next year? Or the the year after next? Or the next 3-4 years?

EL should be our 2nd priority if we want CL. Finish in a top 8 position and win the EL. League cup and FA cup should be for reserves and kids.

Last edited:
The point of getting into the top 4 is the money you gain from it. Whether we get knocked out of the knock out stages or not, we'd get £20-30 million. Has any team ever qualified for the CL for the first time and got into the Semi finals? I doubt it, and they shouldn't be expected to. We're not going to be competitive in the CL for at least 5 years, even if we qualified. We will be richer for it though.

Pellegrini lead Villarreal into the semi-finals in their 1st CL campaign.

Is top 4 even a realistic target? Do you really see Chelsea(with Mourinho), Woolwich(Wenger), Man City(with possibly a new manager) and Man Utd(an proven and experienced LvG) slipping up next year? Or the the year after next? Or the next 3-4 years?

Personally, I see City going to shit over the next few years.

Oldest squad in the premier league and they don't have the money to buy quality replacements anymore due to FFP, not to mention they always buy shit anyway. £30 million for Mangala, ouch. Once Aguero goes, they're utterly fucked.

I also don't think United are a million miles away. Their squad has obvious flaws, it's not that young and they wasted that £150 million. How many times can they spend that amount of money?

We should be aiming to win it every time we're competing in it

Sorry mate, think you posted on the wrong forum. Maybe you meant the Real Madrid one?

Aiming to win it is absolutely laughable. Get as far as possible, but winning it with this squad? We can't even get 5th for fuck sake.

Sorry mate, think you posted on the wrong forum. Maybe you meant the Real Madrid one?

Aiming to win it is absolutely laughable. Get as far as possible, but winning it with this squad? We can't even get 5th for fuck sake.
Piss off you worthless wankstain of a genetic misshapen Bluemoon cunt

We should be aiming to win every cup competition we enter

We should really field a second cup team IMO...players can step up to the first team with good performances, and those not playing well/knackered in the first team can fight for their spot back in the cups.

For me, the Europa is fine as long as we don't play 'Sundays first XI' on the Thursday, and indeed none of them travel to away games. At least until the knockout stage anyway.

For most/all English clubs, while the increased prize money is welcome, the EL still doesn't pay enough to justify wrecking a domestic season, be it for the riches of the Prem or the glory of a domestic cup.

Personally, I see City going to shit over the next few years.

Oldest squad in the premier league and they don't have the money to buy quality replacements anymore due to FFP, not to mention they always buy shit anyway. £30 million for Mangala, ouch. Once Aguero goes, they're utterly fucked.

I also don't think United are a million miles away. Their squad has obvious flaws, it's not that young and they wasted that £150 million. How many times can they spend that amount of money?
Can Utd not spend a fortune every season because they have such a massive turnover?

Back
Top Bottom