Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You sound like a really positive fellow :townhmm:
Looking over the fixtures I have counted 24(out of the 36 league matches) that I have enjoyed. I would also add all the league cup matches except the final and a few EL and FA cup matches.

Levy's dream supporter!

In all seriousness, if you've enjoyed 2/3 of our league games fair play. I'd say 1/4 maximum for me plus the two injury time muggings of the Scammers. Unfortunately, we were shit in both, ok the first was 10 men but the second, home match where we were supposedly more of a Poch side, fucking abject.

Lamela has really improved of late; I think he is coming good under Poch and will feature as a key player next year!

Levy's dream supporter!

In all seriousness, if you've enjoyed 2/3 of our league games fair play. I'd say 1/4 maximum for me plus the two injury time muggings of the Scammers. Unfortunately, we were shit in both, ok the first was 10 men but the second, home match where we were supposedly more of a Poch side, fucking abject.
Yeah I'm a strange Spurs supporter, I enjoy us winning football matches!(unlike a few poster on this forum who seem to be happy after a loss) :lamelashock:
Yes I'm a positive person, but I'm also a person who can think logical. I admit that I had higher expectations a couple of years ago, but after last (horror)season I have accepted that a club who's 6th in the money table usually ends up 6th in the points table. Unless we somehow manage to buy a new spine of young players in the class of King, Bale and Modric(at about the same time), then we will end up at about 5-6 every season.

I accepted before this season that it would be a bit boring where we would not buy any exciting players, the ones we wasted a 100mil on last year would need one more season to be tested, and Poch and the players would need a long time to adapt.

I hope so MrS, what concerns me is maybe his challenges with the language provide a heightened appearance of decorum, respect and a measured approach in interviews and, either causes communication issues with the squad or hides that there isn't that much to communicate. Poch will lose most of the fans too if we don't clearly improve by the end of 2015.

We still have to give this bloke at the very least another season barring disaster.

Agree again Simmo except for the laungage bit. Its all about respect for the coach, whoever he is. Some English speaking coaches can not communicate their message and or gain players respect. if the players decide not to listen-game over . A big IF - if the players buy into Pochs ideas and accept his reasoning, there should be progress (I believe some players do). The down side of modern football, some players are not up for the journey just enjoying the large pay packet and the prestige playing in th PL. We need to out these players. I want to give him another season and see what he can do-he seems a decent chap. Most coaches would struggle as we see with most clubs in the PL, at least we can feel a little positive with Poch and he has a season behind him.

The sense of entitlement of winning every game 4:0 is embarrassing. We've never been a top club - people need to accept that - this is our true level (Top 5-6) until we win the Arab lotto or build a new stadium (fucking lol).
So you're happy to lose 3-0 away to Stoke? Or just not that bothered and think that's our level?

I can't see why people can't criticise Pochettino/players or voice concerns about a slump in form without being branded melters or assumed to want a change in manager again.

The last thing we need is another change in manager, I think the club know that I can't see how anyone can be happy with our recent form. Why isn't Pochettino changing anything when we can clearly see Mason hasn't been performing recently, it's the same team and same tactics and the poor performances have outnumbered anything positive for a while.

The most irritating thing is to turn up to a game and not see the players give a fuck, no expectation of rolling a team over, the minimum we should see is a bit of effort.

I think the club has progressed in terms of bringing in Mitchell and the backroom staff which we should hopefully see the benefits of in the summer, on the pitch and results wise, it's like a repeat of the last few seasons.

Yes I'm a positive person, but I'm also a person who can think logical.

But there is no logic to exhausting the core of the first team because of whats percieved to be personal issues between a manager and certain players.

There is no logic to struggling when we only use 14 of 20 odd players because the manager is too rigid to adapt.

There is no logic to whining on about new signings mid season, when NOTHING can be done about it.

There is no logic to benching two of your captains permanently 6wks after naming them.

So fine...be positive, but dont dismiss peoples complaints as illogical.

So you're happy to lose 3-0 away to Stoke? Or just not that bothered and think that's our level?

I can't see why people can't criticise Pochettino/players or voice concerns about a slump in form without being branded melters or assumed to want a change in manager again.

The last thing we need is another change in manager, I think the club know that I can't see how anyone can be happy with our recent form. Why isn't Pochettino changing anything when we can clearly see Mason hasn't been performing recently, it's the same team and same tactics and the poor performances have outnumbered anything positive for a while.

The most irritating thing is to turn up to a game and not see the players give a fuck, no expectation of rolling a team over, the minimum we should see is a bit of effort.

I think the club has progressed in terms of bringing in Mitchell and the backroom staff which we should hopefully see the benefits of in the summer, on the pitch and results wise, it's like a repeat of the last few seasons.
Criticism is by all means fine - however what you would find is most attacks on Poch are constructed on imaginary scenarios and 'factual' information from the changeroom - i.e. making up shit to throw at him which has zero contextual reference. It's nothing but petty agenda, same as it was against AVB - if people honestly expect us to never lose a game or play poorly - what more can one do?

Lamela has really improved of late; I think he is coming good under Poch and will feature as a key player next year!
It's been two seasons. Same for the rest of the magnificent seven. All of them have run how and cold and none have truly had a consistent run of good form, save for Eriksen.

I said a little while ago that one of the problems that hindered AVB, Sherweasel and now Poch alike are the players, namely those who just aren't up to the task. Eriksen aside, I just don't think of those super seven have showed enough of a consistent run of form and effort to make it worth us holding out hope for a sudden emergence. I'd rather look elsewhere, at least for some of them. I know Lamela cost a lot, but he's had two years now and can't complain that he's not been given a chance. Has he come anywhere close to justifying his price tag? Where are the goals? A few half decent showings when everyone else is sleepwalking towards their latest shopping trip to the Mall of the Emirates isn't a top run of form IMO. I think the squad needs gutting this summer, not that it will happen...

Why do people keep saying things like "people are expecting too much" or "people expect us to never lose or play poorly"...?

Its quite clear by now thats not the case.

People expect to play very well more than 4 times in a season. If you believe that is unrealistic for Poch, you must think he´s pretty shit.

But there is no logic to exhausting the core of the first team because of whats percieved to be personal issues between a manager and certain players.

There is no logic to struggling when we only use 14 of 20 odd players because the manager is too rigid to adapt.

There is no logic to whining on about new signings mid season, when NOTHING can be done about it.

There is no logic to benching two of your captains permanently 6wks after naming them.

I can't find my post but before Xmas I voiced how Poch's high-press, high intensity philosophy did not fit our squad at all if you're not rotating it. It stands to reason that everybody knows the stats about Thursday/Sunday effects on League results by Europa League, even if you question the validity of the 'excuse' there is an issue there, we've all seen it plenty of times for a few years. With Poch's way even Southampton flagged or got worked out towards the end of the season with mostly one game a week, we've had about 55 games as opposed to 40. Whether it's in terms of time to tactically prepare for the opposition (which maybe Poch doesn't need as seems he just plays the same way all the time, except Scum away early doors) or in terms of recovery time between games if you play such a way, it is absolutely ridiculous to think you can keep up a level of performance throughout more than 1/2 - 2/3 of a season without better squad management. When he has finally rotated it's been out of the blue or half-arsed (see PL, Europa, Cup Final week of doom in Feb) which failed miserably. Then it's back to finger pointing at players. Now I know Paulinho has been mainly shit and Dembele is frustrating but, we've seen both do good jobs. He's such a great coach then why cannot he not coach this from them more or utilise them better to encourage more of those performances? I know players should take some responsibility but let's wake up, there are more mercenary and awkward pricks than there are good old boys across football, coaches and managers are paid to deal with that. Picking just those you can handle is going to back fire if you only have a dozen of them.

He spent the first couple of months trialling players anyway so the core players have flagged by being maxed out and/or found out from between November-February.

Too ignorant and/or too stubborn in my opinion but we'll see how things go next season. As Sammy says, if you're not going to have all the new personnel in you want then you need to work with what you have to minimise these practical issues that directly affect player condition and form over the season.

If we were fresher, more adaptable and had even an average run between March and May we could have very much been in touch with the top 4. We've been nowhere near good enough though. We didn't need extra-ordinary performances to get more points out of West Ham, Palace, Villa, Burnley, Stoke etc, we just needed more decent performances which have now been mainly lacking for MONTHS not weeks.

Last edited:

Since 15 of March we have played 1 game pr week so there is really not that much need for rotating the squad. Without cup games theres also hard to give different players playing time, and Poch did rotate heavily when we played Cups/EL.

You seem to want Poch to use Kaboul, Capoue, Dembele and Ade(from reading your posts)? I really don't want to see any of those in a spurs shirt again(thats just my opinion tho), and none of them have shown much when they get the chance.

Its logical to bench your new captains if they go behind your back and wants you fired(if the rumors are correct)..

Why do people keep saying things like "people are expecting too much" or "people expect us to never lose or play poorly"...?

Its quite clear by now thats not the case.

People expect to play very well more than 4 times in a season. If you believe that is unrealistic for Poch, you must think he´s pretty shit.
We have won 17 games in the league(+ lots of cup games), that's pretty high standards you have if only 4 of those were good?

Criticism is by all means fine - however what you would find is most attacks on Poch are constructed on imaginary scenarios and 'factual' information from the changeroom - i.e. making up shit to throw at him which has zero contextual reference. It's nothing but petty agenda, same as it was against AVB - if people honestly expect us to never lose a game or play poorly - what more can one do?

But to be fair, we've played mostly poorly this season. Everton, Chelski and Scum aside, rolled over West Brom, a shit Newcastle, Sunderland and QPR but also struggled against them all in games. We've been ok in games we've lost against City and Scousers (only ok mind) but shit in games we've won like Villa and Hull so they even out.

I'm talking performance wise across the whole season of minutes as opposed to individual results and individual games. The defence being one of the top 4 worst in the league kind of speaks for itself.

And the imaginary scenarios being levied at Poch aren't much different from those about the likes of Capoue, Kaboul and Ade by his apologists surely?

New manager. Where is the progress? the most likely scenario is that we missed our window when we misspent the Bale money and a decade of Europa League is on the cards. Not the worst thing but disappointing nonetheless
Are you suggesting the solution to all this is to bring yet another new manager?

Back
Top Bottom