Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The positives from our season for me are below:

Introduction of Youth into the 1st team
Success of Kane, Bentaleb and Dier, Mason to some degree.
Improvement of Lamela
Drastic improvement from Rose.
Progress with the New Stadium
Qualified for Europe (Hopefully)
Cup final appearance
Performances of Alli and Pritchard on loan
Performance of our youth sides
Addition to our scouting network. Mitchell and the others.

There are plenty of negatives, but I am not the type to dwell on them tbh.

Though Eriksen best sort his shit out.

I have enjoyed this season, some decent away days as always. Sheffield being the highlight and I even remember we had a home atmosphere on some occasions. QPR on the opening day being a great one.

4th 5th 6th.......6th?

Yep. On the up.

[In response to Tomo saying "I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season."]

Thats about what Im expecting in Pochs first season with a team that still needs to gel, and adapt to their third set of coaching and management in 12 months...in fact, I think that would be admirable.

Are people expecting 3rd or 4th this season? Really?

Mate. Just give up.

You're a fraud.

No I wouldn't keep Poch as he is stubborn and doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, the high line, inverted wingers etc

Decisions like captaincy appointments, letting Lennon out on loan even considering playing Adebayor at this stage beggars belief.

Include him in the Summer clear out and let's move on!

:levystare:

Yes you too!

Mate. Just give up.

You're a fraud.
Rustiphor+rolled+image+_76e6d7fd44bac985996613924c0dc241.jpg

No I wouldn't keep Poch as he is stubborn and doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, the high line, inverted wingers etc

Decisions like captaincy appointments, letting Lennon out on loan even considering playing Adebayor at this stage beggars belief.

Yes you too!
images

Did you consider them rivals at the start of the season??

What when we all had 0 points and had to play every team twice? Yes!

Southampton are fighting for a europa league place and the team they're fighting with is.... US!

Its irrelevant who the team actually is, whichever teams are around us in the league are the teams we're competing with.

What when we all had 0 points and had to play every team twice? Yes!

Southampton are fighting for a europa league place and the team they're fighting with is.... US!

Its irrelevant who the team actually is, whichever teams are around us in the league are the teams we're competing with.

Yes because they are performing better than last season and we are performing worse.... No fucking echo of glory there.

Yes because they are performing better than last season and we are performing worse.... No fucking echo of glory there.
In which way are we performing worse? We're on course to finish in the same league position, with the 4/5 of the teams that finished above us last year above us this year, with united and Everton swapping, which was fairly predictable. United were going to spend big to get champions league and everton were likely to drop off because of the increased games.

Points wise, as has been mentioned, we're heading for slightly less. However, that isn't necessarily our fault. Points totals are a result of the strength of all 20 teams in the league. if the bottom 8 teams are shit, there will be more points in the top half of the league. If the teams in the league are more equal, there will be more draws, which result in less points being available. The points themselves aren't relevant, its the position those points put you in the table.

Game wise, last season didn't we lose every single game against the top 4? This season we've beaten Woolwich twice, chelsea and drew with united. We also matched city and were unlucky not to win.

To be honest, i don't really get your comment. For several reasons. Because another team is doing better last season that reflects badly on us?? But we're still above them?? If we were worse, Southampton would be above us? Because we'd be lower than 6th? We are exactly where we should be in the league as well, so we're not under performing, we're exactly par. And what was last seasons echo of glory? A lairy manager alienating players to the point that it was quite clear some of them didn't care and weren't giving 100% ? How short is your memory. Have you forgotten how many mistakes that led to goals there were last season? We were the worst in europe for it. That comes from the players not caring, and that comes from the manager. Have you forgotten the 4-0 against chelsea? With walker on the right wing? Jan Vertonghen falling over?

Why are people saying Southampton aren't rivals or a bench mark. They're one place below us..?

Agree with this completely. Rivals come and go, depending on your position in the table. Last year it was Everton up there with us, a few years ago it was Newcastle. These were also rivals. Not sure why people think anyone outside the top 4 aren't a rival.

Yes you too!

You'd really get rid of Poch, after one season and replace him with who exactly, this is panic and melting, the very reason why so many people get the hump with Levy.

I would define rivals into different catagories. You have the local pet hates like Chavs, West Ham and Scum for whom position is not that relavant, then you have the teams that are competiting with you positionally, Saints are not normally in that bracket but they have been recently, so a recent rival but not a hate.

I would define rivals into different catagories. You have the local pet hates like Chavs, West Ham and Scum for whom position is not that relavant, then you have the teams that are competiting with you positionally, Saints are not normally in that bracket but they have been recently, so a recent rival but not a hate.
No ones saying we hate southampton, I'm a big fan, i like what they've done. But its us or them for 6th place.

Agree with this completely. Rivals come and go, depending on your position in the table. Last year it was Everton up there with us, a few years ago it was Newcastle. These were also rivals. Not sure why people think anyone outside the top 4 aren't a rival.
Im starting to see why everyone else hates us now. Between people getting annoyed at finishing top 6, or John Thomas and greavesy moaning that we should be fighting for the league despite not winning it for 54 years... we are coming across like expectant, out of touch cunts.

No ones saying we hate southampton, I'm a big fan, i like what they've done. But its us or them for 6th place.

I think people get hung up on the word rival, some people see it as a team they hate where as others simply as the team that's going to potentially take their place. As long as people understand the context of how your using the word I think you can say Southampton fit the definition of a rival in one sense but not the other.

I think people get hung up on the word rival, some people see it as a team they hate where as others simply as the team that's going to potentially take their place. As long as people understand the context of how your using the word I think you can say Southampton fit the definition of a rival in one sense but not the other.
If people are making that mistake, i think its safe to say those people are fucking idiots.

On the subject of progress....

During the 90' and 00' Spurs was the ultimate mid table team with a few cup runs thrown 8n to the mix, 10 average players a luxury player with flair... that was out entertainment.
Under Ramon it was a complete nightmare, having quality players and couldn't buy a win.
Under Harry we ended up with champions league footy playing some of the best football I have seen since the venables / ardilles team. then we have AvB, as much as i wanted him to succeed the football was boring, slow predicatble and getting hammered by the top teams. I lost faith in our vision and what being a Spurs support stands for....
Tim well we all know what happened there...
Under Poch, I believe we are trying to build a team of young English players, using our youth team to promote talent and all the while the manager and players are growing as a team. This season we have stabled the team with results, good wins mixed with bad defeats.
I'm optomistic for next season, with Poch having more players to sign that suits his system and getting rid of his the deadwood.

Have we progressed fromantic a mid table team yes, from the height of Champions league footy NO.

Do I enjoy bing a Spurs support again YES

Who's Ade in this scenario then?

Can't see it mirrors how the Soldado debate went down anyway, considering Poch has done more positive for us than Soldado ever will.

So does Poch not get any credit for Soldado's continued failings then? Who has he made play better, Danny Rose? Bentaleb? Mason? Or, have they all matured and/or stayed fit and been given an extended run of games regardless of any iffy performances. Because they're all young, cheap and good Spurs lads it's ok though? Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele are shit and complete arseholes? Ok Paulinho has been utter shit consistently but, Dembele is a great player that a good coach could get a lot more out of I think.

I'm asking opinions.

Mine are that Rose was pretty erratic and piss poor until recent times, including after the New Year but is looking in very good form lately. Bentaleb showed his promise as soon as Tim played him, then it got too much for him in a toxic situation. He went to the World Cup and learnt from it all and looks a decent player and even better prospect. Not really Poch's doing IMO. Mason has never been fit for long before. Poch played him in pre-season, we were short of players then and he took his chance well. Some good performance and Poch can take credit for him as he's seen he has something to offer and played him but, out of all of them, I'm not sure he's a sure-fire starter in a top 5/6 side, bit older than the others as well.

Kane has always been rated, nobody knew he'd be as good as he is but again, Tim and others all saw it. He had played senior games last year and with Ade AWOL and Soldado being Soldado he had to play. Poch gets credit for trusting him and then making him a spear-head of the side. But developing him? Got him fitter maybe, that has definitely helped his game.

If we haven't improved considerably in 12months then I won't be convinced we're on the right track at all or have the right manager. IF. But that's 12months away, in the meantime I'll call it as I see it.

Worst defence in the league bar the bottom 5-6, how about that one?

Back
Top Bottom