January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
talk about missing the point! we are saying this squad isnt stronger enough to sustain it for a whole season. you cant dismiss this because we have done well up until the end of jan. time will tell. what joke will u make when we finish outside top 4
I don't know who 'we' is, but most realistic fans thought that top 4 was unachievable this year. The fact that there is a chance of it is down to the manager you're now trying to berate. Stop squealing because we didn't make any significant signings - he's trimming the squad - I thought that's what most people accepted had to happen.

again, the levy supporters our fine with wasting millions on sacking managers etc. but not on strengthening weak areas.

Not at all....Im not fine with it.

I was gutted when we sacked Redknapp, especially the way AVB turned out. I was glad when he left, and while I got behind Tim 100%, the whole thing was a shambles. I also slated him for not signing Moutinho when he clearly wanted to play for AVB, but we left it too late and messed up the transfer when it came to 3rd part ownership.

If Poch doesnt get at least his contracts worth, I'll think its a joke again. I'll never ever think Stratford was ok either.

But I will back him over Berbatov, Modric and Bale for example, players who used dirty tricks, and I will also be impartial when it comes to most signings, and accept that its not a case of saying.
"Spurs fans really want Bony so I will sign him".

The people who thought we could have got him in the summer for £20M.....do they really think that his representatives had no idea whatsoever he could be going to City in January for £30M?

Oh, and we spent £110M on players the other summer....how did that turn out.

please note, net spend fanatics need not reply

nah. id have used the money we spent on players like vlad, capoue & benji. i cant think many thought yeh, lets go those players. so id have spent no extra than what we have.
I'm sure not many on here thought Lamela, Eriksen or Soldado were realistic at the time - I certainly didn't. Calling Milner unrealistic - oh, dear

Problem is, one decent striker in doesn't magically mean we get 4th.
Not a single poster here has claimed as much as far as I'm aware - but strengthening our squad even with one player increases our chances more so than not - how can you possibly even argue with that?

The rest of your post is typical revisionist bollox but this stands out particular
People are reacting so strongly against the spending advocates because we don't want this club to become the next City or Chelsea,

Who exactly wants us to become Chelsea and City - quote one post here demanding so (besides the troll Greaves357) - in your own time now . . and if you can't - STFU and stop polarising opinion by manufactuing non-existent quotes to fuel your faux agenda - not a single fans here wants this for the club

Last edited:
Many of our inherited septic tanks are so pro regime they must come from the disfranchised
Goth Emo scene of eternal pain and bring a culture of self harm with them.
Globalization not at this price.

I was gutted when we sacked Redknapp, especially the way AVB turned out. I was glad when he left, and while I got behind Tim 100%, the whole thing was a shambles. I also slated him for not signing Moutinho when he clearly wanted to play for AVB, but we left it too late and messed up the transfer when it came to 3rd part ownership.

If Poch doesnt get at least his contracts worth, I'll think its a joke again. I'll never ever think Stratford was ok either.

But I will back him over Berbatov, Modric and Bale for example, players who used dirty tricks, and I will also be impartial when it comes to most signings, and accept that its not a case of saying.

The people who thought we could have got him in the summer for £20M.....do they really think that his representatives had no idea whatsoever he could be going to City in January for £30M?

Hmmm. . What some of us are saying, is that while finishing 5th or 6th May be viewed as an achievement, when you consider our net spend on transfers is consistently less than West ham, Sunderland, Leicester and rest it can also be seen as a frustrating disappointment. It suggests to some of us that with just a wee bit more ambition, and a little bit less penny pinching brinkmanship, we could have pushed on and achieved more. Without sending the club into financial meltdown

'We had one real target on the last day, Emmanuel Adebayor, because we are short upfront. But he was too much money. I accept that. There are no hard feelings on my part – I've not had a problem with Tony Fernandes in all my time there.

:levystare:

Hmmm. . What some of us are saying, is that while finishing 5th or 6th May be viewed as an achievement, when you consider our net spend on transfers is consistently less than West ham, Sunderland, Leicester and rest it can also be seen as a frustrating disappointment. It suggests to some of us that with just a wee bit more ambition, and a little bit less penny pinching brinkmanship, we could have pushed on and achieved more. Without sending the club into financial meltdown
This is what we've become, jealous of West Ham, Sunderland, and Leicester. Tell, me, how has their spending done for them? Spammers are an anomaly right now.

but we still need a striker! talk about trying to muddy the waters to avoid the obvious.
But we couldn't find one that met our circumstances.
This is what we've become, jealous of West Ham, Sunderland, and Leicester. Tell, me, how has their spending done for them? Spammers are an anomaly right now.
They're a rapidly falling anomaly. They were riding their luck, and that's turned.

It is great theatre to sit and bemoan the lack of activity during the previous transfer window, or any other that has can be considered a failure but the club just don't do their business in the open. The idea that anyone from within the club would do what Twatty Gold did is laughable.

There are journalists with their ear to the ground but much of it is hearsay, and worse than that, much of it is fabricated to generate traffic.

I would have loved it had we of managed to get Dzeko or whoever else to improve our striker options but I'd wager none of us have the first idea if we did try to sign anyone. That's what is baffling. People seem to have this inside track on what the club are doing but they don't.

What that suggests to me is that the Net-Spend argument is mostly hot air.

Yeh and southampton spent 50m on players, look how that turned out. I'll keep marking out that clown levy. He is holding THFC back with his selfish penny pinching and ego driven transfer activity.He sees sell on value, but dosen't see link up play. I;d like to sit the little ***** down one day and have him tell me the difference between a no 10, a natural pace winger, box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder. Truth is he wont know didly squat because all he sees is raw stats and thinks he is playing football manager.

Yeh and southampton spent 50m on players, look how that turned out. I'll keep marking out that clown levy. He is holding THFC back with his selfish penny pinching and ego driven transfer activity.He sees sell on value, but dosen't see link up play. I;d like to sit the little ***** down one day and have him tell me the difference between a no 10, a natural pace winger, box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder. Truth is he wont know didly squat because all he sees is raw stats and thinks he is playing football manager.
vv6xCe8.gif

If you think Levy's a clown you really need to look up Irving Scholar.

The sheer stupidity of posts like yours makes my fucking blood boil, how fucking entitled can one person get?? the truth is your level of intellect and ability to manage a football club is DWARFED by Daniel Levy, who in my opinion has contributed to pulling this club out of midtable mediocrity, through trial and error found an outstanding manager in Pochettino, managed to extract a world record transfer fee to benefit the club, among countless other things. Posts like yours are one of the reasons i keep my contributions to this forum at a predominantly superficial level.

The sheer stupidity of posts like yours makes my fucking blood boil, how fucking entitled can one person get?? the truth is your level of intellect and ability to manage a football club is DWARFED by Daniel Levy, who in my opinion has contributed to pulling this club out of midtable mediocrity, through trial and error found an outstanding manager in Pochettino, managed to extract a world record transfer fee to benefit the club, among countless other things. Posts like yours are one of the reasons i keep my contributions to this forum at a predominantly superficial level.
GOAT username

Yeh and southampton spent 50m on players, look how that turned out.
Nice omission of all the facts. They spent about 50MM, but they also sold to the tune of 88MM. That's not a net-spend, that's a negative spend strategy. So, look how that turned out.

I'll keep marking out that clown levy.
This is not working out well for you.

He sees sell on value, he dosen't see link up play. I;d like to sit the little ***** down one day and have him tell me the difference between a no 10, a natural pace winger, box to box midfielder, a creative midfielder. Truth is we wont know didly squat because all he sees is thats and thinks he is playing football manager.
Maybe when you have this little discussion, he can ask you about your expertise in the operations and general management of a football club. I would imagine that you would be far more out of your depth in that discussion than he would be in discussing the apparent finer points of what is and isn't a #10.

Also, why do you think that DL operates on an island. Do you think that it is possible that Poch had a hand in some of these decisions? Maybe our scouts or other members in the club had a say in things? No, I guess not, because it's just easier to blame Levy for everything that goes wrong.

I do think our recent transfer was well thought, but once again how will a midfielder help us when he plays next season, he need to push on NOW. we are in a capital one cup final.
I've asked this to others, so I'll now ask you. If you were DL, who would you have brought in that was not only available but that we could reasonably obtain.

THFC's history has a rich tradition of winning cups. All that has drained up over the last half century but there was always a cup to be won here and there even up until the 80s. Under levy we have seen one cup under ENIC, one dozen managers in and out, 300m worth of players in and out,lowest transfer activity in the league,Throttling of transfer activity when we needed to push, redknapp 2012, AVB 2013,Clownwood 2014, Pochettino 2015. When is the last time any of these managers actually got a player they requested. A moutinho, a Shinerderlin..ect instead they get the likes soldado, paulinho, fazio and co. Yeh there are some gems along the way, Eriksen and lloris but fuck me we spent £120m only to trailing 6th=7th.

THFC's history has a rich tradition of winning cups. All that has drained up over the last half century but there was always a cup to be won here and there even up until the 80s. Under levy we have seen one cup under ENIC, one dozen managers in and out, 300m worth of players in and out,lowest transfer activity in the league,Throttling of transfer activity when we needed to push, redknapp 2012, AVB 2013,Clownwood 2014, Pochettino 2015. When is the last time any of these managers actually got a player they requested. A moutinho, a Shinerderlin..ect instead they get the likes soldado, paulinho, fazio and co. Yeh there are some gems along the way, Eriksen and lloris but fuck me we spent £120m only to trailing 6th=7th.
at the time when Soldado and Paulinho were bought, nobody thought they are gonna be so bad. I agree about Fazio, cleary Poch wanted Musacchio, but that didnt happend, so we jumped to option two.
We needed a striker, FFS, sorry we couldnt get Agüero or Rooney, we got one of the best strikers in Spain instead. Paulo was Brazils second best player when we got him.
Now they stink and our management gets the stick.

It's not like Poch says "i want erm..strikeeeer and a njew djefendjeer"
and Levy goes and buys Messi and Sergio Ramos. :adesalute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom