Another new manager poll (apologies)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which of the 3 favourites would you pick as new manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose when considering the new manager we have to think of style verses results. If its pure results we could drag Pulis from Palace, he would make us hard for anyone to beat, he can work wonders with just average players but we'd probably be boring as fuck to watch so not for me. Benitiz would probably be the same maybe not so boring. FDB and Poch we might have a chance of playing good football and possibly winnign football as well but its a gamble.

He had managed shit in the premier league, without the budget or resource we have, staying up was success for him - to suggest it is equitable to challenging for honours and all that entails is what is preposterous.
In terms of their season's objectives it was a success, not to mention the FA Cup, etc. Those teams set out to survive every season, not challenge for Top 4. He was a proven name in the PL, nowhere near Ramos or AVB in terms of gamble

If we were so dull would our fans be complaining, EVEN with so many goals? Of course they would. Just look at this place, people can moan about anything.
You don't score the most goals in the league by being dull - you do it by dismantling teams and I can gaurantee you if the results were coming in and we were scoring for fun, doubt many reasonable fans would moan

In terms of their season's objectives it was a success, not to mention the FA Cup, etc. Those teams set out to survive every season, not challenge for Top 4. He was a proven name in the PL, nowhere near Ramos or AVB in terms of gamble

He was an absolute success (except for Southampton) in meeting their objectives, I agree.
How does that qualify him for mixing it at the opposite end of the league?

So on what grounds are FDB or Pochettino similar gambles?
FDB is considerably less of a gamble - he has delivered consistently in the last 4-5 years albeit only domestically. Would be a very good choice.

Pochettino has done fuck all, afaic

Redknapp was a jobbing manager of lower level teams. No experience of the top level at all, or europe, or the sort of resources we had.

He was absolutely a gamble, IMO.
Actually, he was what was needed. We were bottom of the table and he had a history of saving teams from relegation. I don't think anybody expected more than that from him. He just went on and did well.

Interesting though that Arsespace is using it as a xenophobic a argument against foreign managers when he himself is either a foreigner making himself out to be an expert on English football or a Briton who has gone to live abroad, taking homes and jobs away from South African natives. He should be the last one making the xenophobia argument. Mind you, hyperbole from the self admitted troll I suppose.

He was an absolute success (except for Southampton) in meeting their objectives, I agree.
How does that qualify him for mixing it at the opposite end of the league?
At the time we needed someone to help us avoid relegation not make Top 4, remember

We decided to keep him the next and he exceeded all expectations, only to 'fire' himself out of the job years later

You don;t score the most goal in the league by being dull - you do it by dismantling teams and I can gaurantee you if the results were coming in and we were scoring for fun, doubt many reasonable fans would moan

You can score plenty of goals being dull and boring and negative for 80 minutes and then capitalising against a beaten opponent.

You can score plenty of goals against fodder while not making a mark when it counts.

Goals are not necessarily the mark of an entertaining, positive side.

In general Chelsea have scored plenty under Mourinho, lots of games where they put 3 and 4 past people - how entertaining are they?

You can score plenty of goals being dull and boring and negative for 80 minutes and then capitalising against a beaten opponent.

You can score plenty of goals against fodder while not making a mark when it counts.

Goals are not necessarily the mark of an entertaining, positive side.

In general Chelsea have scored plenty under Mourinho, lots of games where they put 3 and 4 past people - how entertaining are they?
We've been 'that' entertaining side for years - losing 3:4 and conceding late equalisers for fun.

I rather have us obliterate teams than provide MotD entertainment for the neutrals and heartbreak for our fans. Bentiez sets his teams up nothing like Mourinho's, btw

Here's another name to add to the mix, btw - Walter Mazzarri?

Arguably the success behind Napoli (prior to Bentiez arriving) and had a mixed-bag of a season with Inter

I guess he can be classed with Pochettino as a 'high gamble'. Not sure, myself

How typical and predictable an angle is that?
No one at the club have linked us with Benitez, only the 'press/media'... So to try and twist it as if WE'VE been dealt a blow (yet again, to add to the mounting list of fatal blows we've been allegedly dealt down the years) really smacks of an anti-Spurs agenda, no doubt fuelled by the wave of positivity after the Cup Final!

Gloating gooner fucks!

Actually, he was what was needed. We were bottom of the table and he had a history of saving teams from relegation. I don't think anybody expected more than that from him. He just went on and did well.

I dont think thats why we got him. I remember Levy saying hehad had an eye on/wanted him for a while. I think Redknapp came in and was expected to deliver what he did, not just escape the drop (which, IMHO, was never a real fear anyway)

How typical and predictable an angle is that?
No one at the club have linked us with Benitez, only the 'press/media'... So to try and twist it as if WE'VE been dealt a blow (yet again, to add to the mounting list of fatal blows we've been allegedly dealt down the years) really smacks of an anti-Spurs agenda, no doubt fuelled by the wave of positivity after the Cup Final!

Gloating gooner fucks!
If I've had as many blow as Spurs have had I'd be walking around with a permanent grin.

We've been 'that' entertaining side for years - losing 3:4 and conceding late equalisers for fun.

I rather have us obliterate teams than provide MotD entertainment for the neutrals and heartbreak for our fans. Bentiez sets his teams up nothing like Mourinho's, btw

Im not talking about "that" sort of entertainment. Im expressing why I think scoring goals is not necessarily indicative of a positive, attacking team.

Football by numbers, doesnt really do it for me.

And Ive found Bentiez team as equally boring to watch as Mourinhos, even if they arent set up the same (but still score plenty)

Rafa's 'boring' Napoli managed 77 goals - 2nd most in the league this season and only 3 behind champions Juventus

Sorry, mate but I don't think we can compare a proven European manager with 11 major trophies to his name (including the Champions Leagie and Europa League) to some nothing man who won a few games in the Prem and has been hyped up by the media and fanboys because he sat next someone famous once.

If we care at all about the philosophy of our club we can. I don't care how many goals his serie A side got this season. I've seen his teams in the premiership and I hate his kind of football. As I said, I'm not debating the difference in experience or the qualifications, but I'm personally more excited about the prospect of a young manager with pressing, attacking football ideology that can become our long term manager. I'm not saying that would be Pochettino, but he's definitely more suited for that kind of project than fat man benitez.

Last edited:
but I'm personally more excited about the prospect of a young manager with pressing, attacking football ideology that can become our long term manager.
Just out of interest - prior to AVB's arrival (and his record at Porto) would you have described him as

- attacking manager who plays entertaining football
- tactically astute manager who plays defensive football

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom