Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Leicesters were also handicapped by cutting back spending because they were close to ffp.they cut back as did wolves.
Leicester are a case in point. They miracled their way onto the top table, tried manfully to compete, gambled on recruitment working out, couldn't keep up and now look at them.

To cover their recruitment they had to sell their best players to teams they were trying to catch. Thus weakening themselves, and strengthening their quarry. When their gambles didn't pay off, they were fucked. They had players on big wages (inflated to convince them to join a non-elite side), who had either proven not to work or not been proven to work.

I don't want to emulate Man City or Chelsea. I've been consistent on that. I've also been consistent on saying that a spend cap is absolutely a thing the PL should have. I've even been consistent in saying that transfer budgets should only be what a club can afford.

I don't think it's fishy that new owners with ambition and the means to achieve it are using whatever room in the FFP envelope to strengthen the Newcastle squad, no. That's not fishy, that's the same thing that's happened at clubs after a takeover since time immemorial.

The PSR as it stands is protectionist, it benefits the biggest clubs the most and anyone wanting to challenge them the least. The same teams who tried to form the SuperLeague, because despite dominating the English and European footballing landscapes, it's not enough and they wanted to ringfence themselves away from any threats.

I don't get your point, I don't even know what you position is?

Do you want sympathy that you haven't been able to do things like City or Chelsea or are you just here to cry about the injustice of the PL finally waking up to open cheating and throwing your toys out the pram at the fact you haven't been able to cook the books like they did?

All this tells me that what Newcastle have done since the takeover is try to fast track their way up to the big time effectively trying to jump the queue and the fans thought that the new rules wouldn't affect them.

As an aside I'm not sure you can come onto a forum of a club who has played by the rules and did everything by the book, Tottenham and Daniel Levy has shown that you can at least compete with the sports washed teams albeit it takes years of patience and frugality, no one is going to give you sympathy here.

But that's why no-one likes you.

Your way round says to everyone else 'Fuck you all! We now have disgusting and rich owners and want to spend his dirty, blood soaked money as we see fit! Wah for trying to stop us with your rules (even though it'll stop us collapsing when our scumbag owners get bored and move on). Have a look at these new sponsorships we've just achieved - yes they're all companies with links to Saudi but I think you'll find they are fine and we can all move on! Your approval means I can use them as examples of how well we're doing commercially on the forums of other teams!'

Pathetic.
What are you on about man? I've said, countless times, on here that I don't think we should be allowed to spend without a limit. It's simply, clearly, patently obvious that that would be unsporting. I just want the current rules changed to reflect the reality of the current market. £105m loss over 3 yrs in 2011 is very different to £105m loss over 3yrs now.

View: https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1746115224141431118

Generally speaking, all other things being equal, the prices of players have increased annually by 9.0% over the past decade. This average was 13.8% between the 2013/14 and 2019/20 seasons, then -0.2% during the three seasons following the pandemic. However, after having dropped sharply in 2021/22, the prices of footballers have returned to grow in 2022/23, suggesting a rapid return to record levels.

In ten years, the inflation in transfer fees has been 116% including add-ons and 90% without considering conditional payments. The gap is explained by the fact that sums invested by clubs on a conditional basis rose throughout the period. Add-ons paid according to players’ or recruiting teams’ performance account henceforth for more than 15% of total fees.

Last edited:
I don't get your point, I don't even know what you position is?
That PSR rules are outdated at best, and protectionist at worst. The original stated aim was and is a noble one, the actual effect is the gap between haves and have nots is growing.
Do you want sympathy that you haven't been able to do things like City or Chelsea or are you just here to cry about the injustice of the PL finally waking up to open cheating and throwing your toys out the pram at the fact you haven't been able to cook the books like they did?
No, again, for the umpteenth time I don't want Newcastle to spend unlimited funds on new players. I want us to be permitted to grow at a rate that we can afford without it being unsporting.
All this tells me that what Newcastle have done since the takeover is try to fast track their way up to the big time effectively trying to jump the queue and the fans thought that the new rules wouldn't affect them.
We have tried to get as far as we can as fast as we can, the longer it takes us to get among the big boys, the harder it will be. Every season they strengthen more than other teams can, they collect better commercial deals, affording them better players, delivering them more success and so on. Us fans knew the existing rules would affect us, we weren't expecting new rules being created specifically to prevent that. You speak of a queue, as if teams must wait their turn? There are no turns, for Newcastle to compete at the big boy table, we have to push one of them off it. Just like Brighton or Villa need to.
As an aside I'm not sure you can come onto a forum of a club who has played by the rules and did everything by the book, Tottenham and Daniel Levy has shown that you can at least compete with the sports washed teams albeit it takes years of patience and frugality, no one is going to give you sympathy here.
If you had your choice, Man City and Chelsea would be docked sufficient points to relegate them. Woolwich too, though I have no idea what their PSR situation is. Spurs fans don't want another team to compete with, you don't want another oil state owned club at the table. If I wanted sympathy I've come to the wrong place.

What are you on about man? I've said, countless times, on here that I don't think we should be allowed to spend without a limit. It's simply, clearly, patently obvious that that would be unsporting. I just want the current rules changed to reflect the reality of the current market. £105m loss over 3 yrs in 2011 is very different to £105m loss over 3yrs now.

Inflation created by clubs not following the rules to stop the stupid transfer fees from existing. Don't be blind to it.

“Central to this strategy is the money brought in by the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, which they moved into in April 2019. This has transformed the club’s matchday revenue. In the 2021-22 season, Tottenham brought in £106m in matchday revenue, second only to Manchester United (£111m). In Spurs’ last season at the old White Hart Lane, 2016-17, they brought in £45.3m.
Tottenham have not yet published their 2022-23 accounts, which are expected next month or in early March, but it would not be a surprise if they have overtaken United and made more matchday revenue than anyone else. And that number will not include the eight-figure sum the club made for staging five sold-out Beyonce concerts in May and June last year. Their overall revenue for 2022-23 could be pushing the £500million mark.“

Have a good read fellas👍👍

Levys cock will be available for sucking from 16:00 GMT🤓

That PSR rules are outdated at best, and protectionist at worst. The original stated aim was and is a noble one, the actual effect is the gap between haves and have nots is growing.

No, again, for the umpteenth time I don't want Newcastle to spend unlimited funds on new players. I want us to be permitted to grow at a rate that we can afford without it being unsporting.

We have tried to get as far as we can as fast as we can, the longer it takes us to get among the big boys, the harder it will be. Every season they strengthen more than other teams can, they collect better commercial deals, affording them better players, delivering them more success and so on. Us fans knew the existing rules would affect us, we weren't expecting new rules being created specifically to prevent that. You speak of a queue, as if teams must wait their turn? There are no turns, for Newcastle to compete at the big boy table, we have to push one of them off it. Just like Brighton or Villa need to.

If you had your choice, Man City and Chelsea would be docked sufficient points to relegate them. Woolwich too, though I have no idea what their PSR situation is. Spurs fans don't want another team to compete with, you don't want another oil state owned club at the table. If I wanted sympathy I've come to the wrong place.
LMAO

City and Chelsea have cheated. We all hate Woolwich, but if they are within the rules then that's fair enough and we cannot grumble. PSR should be rising in line with inflation and the market rate, as transfers alone a substantially higher than when the rules were coined, let alone wages. But if you can't see that there's a whole world of difference between what City and Chelsea have done and the rest of the league then I don't know what to tell you.

You are trying to get as far as you can, as fast as you can. That's commendable, the rules aren't in place to stop you doing it, they are there to stop the club being fucked in the future AS WELL AS stopping you cheating. You can't just have some cunt turn up and say "I want a seat at the top table" and spaff money without regard. It's unsustainable.

You have to earn it. It's not a shortcut to success. And that is why we all hate Chelsea and City. Both were irrelevant before the money. It's why we admire Liverpool somewhat and as much as it was to our detriment, Leicester. No financial cheating there.

But if you still had Ashley, would you care about what the limit is?

You are butt-hurt because you have an abhorrent but rich new owner when the football world is waking up to the madness that City and Chelsea started and are trying to reel it in.

You do have an advantage over others as you will continue to magic up sponsorships from mysterious new companies that spring up in Saudi.

You are one of the clubs who will still be distorting the market and won't be playing on the same fair playing field and yet you're still whining.

People on here hate Levy. Loads do. They hate him because he kept us spending within our means when we wanted more. He has been tight with money for the most part and it may have cost us silverware. No silverware is something other clubs - including yours - use to mock us.

But no-one can argue against the fact that we are now in a great ffp position because of him. Look around the league and almost everyone is suffering apart from us.

You are crying and whining to fans who have lived through lean years. Who have supported a club while it got its house in order. We get mocked for it. There's songs about us getting battered. Everyone talks about 'Spursy'.

And now we hopefully get to benefit from those tougher times.

You won the scumbag Lottery and think you're entitled. And you still won't play within the rules, you still won't grow organically cos you will take shortcuts where you can. And you want sympathy from us?!

Grow up.

Fair play on you, you're relentless, but you're not getting it...

No-one cares.

No-one cares that you can't do what Man City did.
No-one cares that you can't spend more money than the rules allow.

No-one cares because it's the right thing.

Clubs should only be allowed to spend what they can afford. It safeguards clubs for future generations.

Yes it'll be fun for me for Spurs to outspend everyone and win everything. But what happens then? What club will my boy support when the bubble bursts and we're held to account?

You got taken over by the richest owners in the world at a time when people have woken up to the fact that short term overspending isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. Them's the brakes.

You'll still cheat where you can. Still bend the rules and use loopholes only available to you. And you'll celebrate it while turning a blind eye to the monsters who own you.

So, in summary, boo fucking hoo!
There's so much bloody leeway already, it could be as black and white as saying your outgoings must be less than your incomings, but no, there is a built in tolerance (which apparently isn't enough for this guy), permitted over a rolling period so plenty of time to get things in order, and numerous methods of creative accounting allowed (Chelsea method), the sponsorship loophole (if Newcastle's deal is such a fair market value then why exactly weren't they able to obtain this from a company totally removed from their Saudi bubble???)...

These rules are lax if anything, and this moaning about it from a donkey puncher is akin to me moaning that I'm not able to easily watch dodgy streams of the Saturday 1500 kick-offs due to the clampdown on that in recent years (don't we have the Newcastle owners to thank for that btw???).

People are not pissed at Man City for winning everything. They're pissed that they've been allowed to do so by ignoring the rules.

They had a cheat code and were allowed it.

Now people have seen the results of that, steps have been taken to level the playing field and that stops you doing what they did, so you're crying...on the forum of a team who have slowly built their club the right way.

What sympathy to do you think you are going to get?!

Yes you can't do what City and Chelsea did. That's a good thing.

The fact is you are still going to use a small cheat code...you'll get 'sponsorships' of 'fair value' which we all know is bullshit. You'll find loans or sales for your unwanted from eager clubs in Saudi who'll value them far higher than most weirdly.

Don't cry on here about the rules when we all know you're a club in prime position to bend them far more than everyone else.

Oh...and your owners are scum.

Simply superbly put. Nothing to add to that, but agree with everything.

The increase of spending comes from wealthy owners having FFP wriggle room due to over a decade of parsimony from the previous owner who had no ambition.

The lurch from Relegation to Champions League owed as much to the poor performances of Liverpool, Chelsea and yourselves as it did to our growth. Had you three had anything like a normal season we would not have got that last Champions League spot.
Good work that was, blowing their load in spectacularly quick fashion a bunch of players that just managed to get you CL in a weak season, and then knocked out in the group stages with one win from six...

Perhaps they should have used that wiggle room sensibly to grow at a sustainable rate, rather than use it up in one go and then moan that the cheat code's been disabled.

Yeah well suck it up, it's taken us fucking years to get to this point and we're talking about a period by the way where there was no profit and sustainability rules nor were there any fit and proper tests so cash rich owners could just come in and launder their cash in clubs like Chelsea and City...did we play their game?, nope...but what we did do is play by the rules and now we've reached this point where we are apart of the established top 6...so you moaning about the fact that can't join the elite - how about you do the fucking hard yards like us first and run your club properly - that's what I mean by joining the queue.

LMAO

City and Chelsea have cheated. We all hate Woolwich, but if they are within the rules then that's fair enough and we cannot grumble. PSR should be rising in line with inflation and the market rate, as transfers alone a substantially higher than when the rules were coined, let alone wages. But if you can't see that there's a whole world of difference between what City and Chelsea have done and the rest of the league then I don't know what to tell you.
Is there some sort of filter on here I don't know about? I know Chelsea and Man City spent without limit in an unsporting fashion. I don't want Newcastle to do that. Hell I don't even want to get into massive club-threatening debt like Man Utd.
You are trying to get as far as you can, as fast as you can. That's commendable, the rules aren't in place to stop you doing it, they are there to stop the club being fucked in the future AS WELL AS stopping you cheating. You can't just have some cunt turn up and say "I want a seat at the top table" and spaff money without regard. It's unsustainable.
With the wealth that the owners have, the club is not going to be fucked in the future. If Ashley had tried this, we may well have been. But it's like having £1m knocking about in your bank account and wanting to build a loft extension for £60k and the neighbourhood watch telling you that you can't.
You have to earn it. It's not a shortcut to success. And that is why we all hate Chelsea and City. Both were irrelevant before the money. It's why we admire Liverpool somewhat and as much as it was to our detriment, Leicester. No financial cheating there.
Back in the 1970s, Liverpool did exactly what Chelsea and Man City did. Woolwich did it in the 30s, so did Sunderland in the 40s and 50s, so did Blackburn and Newcastle in the 90s.

So Liverpool are adding to solid foundations, built on outrageous spending.

Is there some sort of filter on here I don't know about? I know Chelsea and Man City spent without limit in an unsporting fashion. I don't want Newcastle to do that. Hell I don't even want to get into massive club-threatening debt like Man Utd.

With the wealth that the owners have, the club is not going to be fucked in the future. If Ashley had tried this, we may well have been. But it's like having £1m knocking about in your bank account and wanting to build a loft extension for £60k and the neighbourhood watch telling you that you can't.

Back in the 1970s, Liverpool did exactly what Chelsea and Man City did. Woolwich did it in the 30s, so did Sunderland in the 40s and 50s, so did Blackburn and Newcastle in the 90s.

So Liverpool are adding to solid foundations, built on outrageous spending.

So you did the whole doped-by-a-daddy thing once before and still couldn't win a fuckin' thing.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

..........Poxy club. Poxy fans.

Good work that was, blowing their load in spectacularly quick fashion a bunch of players that just managed to get you CL in a weak season, and then knocked out in the group stages with one win from six...

Perhaps they should have used that wiggle room sensibly to grow at a sustainable rate, rather than use it up in one go and then moan that the cheat code's been disabled.
It's hardly blowing their load, now is it? With the extra money from Champions League, Adidas, other commercial partners, we'll have more room next summer. We did finish bottom of the group of death, it's true. No shame though, inexperience and small squad meant we couldn't compete with PSG, Dortmund and AC Milan over 180 minutes.

Had we had better luck with injuries (and had Tonali not been a very stupid boy) I think we could have fared better in the CL, and certainly better in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom