Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tbh I don't know that much about him except he tries to bully teams physically, has decent pace and is very wasteful with chances.

Every time I watch them he seems to spend half the game in no man's land.... Which isn't good for an ST unless your all round game means you're just as useful in the build up (like Kane).... Which he isn't; he's essentially a penalty box striker.

Breaking down his stats :

20 Games but as some sub, he’s only got minutes equalling 58minutes per game (rounded up).

His per 90 metric is 12.9 (again rounded up).

So 8 Goals 3 Assists, 11 G/A 13.

With most of that game span playing with an injury which required surgery.

Pretty sensational stuff really.
Just Prem :

13 (5)1010 7 3

10 G/A in just over 11Games.

Seems many get sticky over past perceptions, this season he’s a top level attacker.

Really hope be breaks 25 Goals and Assists, his numbers to date suggest he will, especially given half the minutes we’re carrying an injury.

Just Prem :

13 (5)101073

10 G/A in just over 11Games.

Seems many get sticky over past perceptions, this season he’s a top level attacker.

Really hope be breaks 25 Goals and Assists, his numbers to date suggest he will, especially given half the minutes we’re carrying an injury.

He's started scoring goals from minimal chances and he always had the work ethic to press. His touch seems to have improved and his ability to link play is looking really good.

All he needs now is consistency. If he can maintain this form he's basically the perfect Ange striker.

He's started scoring goals from minimal chances and he always had the work ethic to press. His touch seems to have improved and his ability to link play is looking really good.

All he needs now is consistency. If he can maintain this form he's basically the perfect Ange striker.
This is a big part of what critics miss, he has that (early Chelsea days, especially first season) Drogba factor, in that he Presses, defends, runs and runs to open space, all things which don’t show in goals and most stats.

Remember Mourinho defending Drogba as he was getting pellets first season, saying how much more he brings than Goals, which he gradually added, then flourished into a machine scoring in 9 of 10 finals or some insane number.

Richarlison may not be quite Drogba, but he has a big chance to really turn himself into a beast, yesterday his touch was much tighter, he drove into space with the ball, if he can improve his edge of box interplay we have an elite player (think next international he starts again for Brazil, which will boost him further).

Also sense that yesterday he felt the main striker, with Son out, so less pressure more “importance” and it showed (Like at Everton when he essentially rescued them from relegation just before we signed him).

Richarlison had a great game yesterday and since his surgery has been performing as well as we could have hoped. This level is good enough if he’s able to maintain it. Top lad.

Porro completely stuffed up an an easy through ball to him too when richy made a great run and was wide open. Service to him was shocking today

True.
People were defending his performance vs Brighton with "lack of service" even though he could have scored 3 goals (not saying that they were quite tap-ins on empty goal but still).

But yesterday it really was down to quality of service. Johnson had total stinker, Werner didn't find him either and let's face it - in midfield we lacked creativity (which is no wonder tbh considering we had first 3 picks for AM position unavailable), so Richie had to fight for scraps. Which he did. And did it very well!

He fought for the ball and won it multiple times. Had good hold up play and also made some really cleaver passes there.

Very-very good performance in difficult circumstances!

Richarlison had a great game yesterday and since his surgery has been performing as well as we could have hoped. This level is good enough if he’s able to maintain it. Top lad.
Agree

Was so disappointed with him earlier, his touch was woeful but first touch was superb yesterday. Great stuff. Incredible work rate etc, and a real menace in the air. Will never be clinical like Kane but if the ball sticks, he works hard and nicks 10-14 PL goals then he’s an asset

I don’t think his service against United was much better than what he had vs Burnley.

The difference is we had 2 wingers who stayed out wide instead of cutting inside.

Width is key. Can’t have the front 5 clogging the middle

Richarlison looks like a new man at Tottenham Hotspur. Since his return from groin surgery at the end of the 2023 calendar year, the Brazilian No. 9 has roared back and is playing the best football of his Spurs tenure. Richy has scored six goals in his last seven matches, is coming off of an impressive performance against Manchester United at Old Trafford, and most importantly looks settled, confident, and happy.

Part of that, according to him, is due to therapy. In a Portuguese-language interview with ESPN Brazil, Richarlison says that Tottenham helped him get into therapy in order to rehabilitate his mind and emotions along with his body, and he attributes part of his recent uptick in form to the positive experience talking to someone trained to listen.

“I managed, with the help of the club, to get this help. This was very important for me, because, as I said, there were days when I didn’t want to leave the house, leave my room. [I’d] go to train, go straight home and lock myself inside my room. So, that was difficult for me. And as I said, it seems that I talk more with people, venting, I think that it has improved.

“And it is something that, as I am from the countryside and there is kind of attitude, like ‘I am not going to do these (therapy) sessions, because I am not crazy’, or something. Because people in the countryside have this prejudice, my family has this prejudice. Then, a time came when I understood that I needed help. And several people told me that too. So I sought this psychological help and the teacher has really helped me a lot.

“I was [prejudiced]. My family, all the people from the countryside are like that, if you are going to do something like this, some psychological sessions, people will say that you are crazy, that you are going crazy. There is this prejudice, and I ask people to do it (anyway), because it will help a lot.”

I love this story. I love how Richarlison has embraced the idea of treating his mental health the same way that he treats his body and physical health, and that through his actions he is openly helping to further destigmatize mental health issues in football. We know Richarlison is a thoughtful and perceptive person, but his anecdotes about his upbringing in rural Brazil and how therapy was perceived in his area made him initially reluctant to get help are illuminating. That Richy was able to both be open to the idea that he needed some additional help and listen to those around him to seek it out says a lot about him as a person.

We know that Richy has had something of a rough time of it since arriving at Tottenham. He’s battled through a number of injuries along with tensions with former manager Antonio Conte and the pressures of playing as Brazil’s No. 9 in a World Cup. He’s struggled with his form along the way, and it was obvious watching and listening to him that he was dealing with a lot of stuff. Richy even said a while back that he was planning to get psychological help in the wake of his groin injury and surgery. Now we see the fruits of that work — he seems much more at peace, and it’s apparent both on and off the pitch.

“I think the main thing is happiness. I think I managed to find my happiness again. I came from some moments a little dejected, sad... I was not that Richarlison that everyone knew. Even to train was different. So, I think I managed to find that again, that hope that I had. This joy that I have inside me. So that was the most important thing that I managed to get back.”

Good for you, Richy and good for Tottenham for both recognizing his struggles and making sure he had the resources available to him for help. Long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom