Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Oops

That's a little under £8m. For that kind of money I'd rather lose him for free next season.

Cheap club like Spurs can’t really afford to sniff at €8 mill can we. I’m the also about getting foreign players with high wages off the books. So it’s not just about the transfer fee.

Well no I'm not actually, I just literally explained the context of my argument and you've just re-shaped it into something else.

I'm saying that it's a complete risk if we go into the season with 2 players who aren't firing, if Rich was banging in goals left right and centre then I think I'd be okay with it because we wouldn't need to rely on him so much and the pressure on him wouldn't be so great.

At the moment though we need someone to hit the ground running, how can you be so sure that will be the case with Orban?

Not every player we miss out on will be a cast iron hit.
What makes you afraid that Orban would be a dud?

Player who has been mostly solid to good for us in defensive systems over 3 years, fans and journalists decide by themselves that he's for some reason not a fit for a progressive team, people for some reason decide he only passes the ball backwards. He's a great squad option for midfield depth, we'll finish higher this season with him than without him, unless we have a good replacement lined up. If a legit £30m plus bid is made then fair enough, but there's probably 10 players I'd be actively trying to move on before Hojbjerg.
If a £30 million bid comes in then great but if not and he’s up for it then he’d be a very good squad player. Bringing him on to see games out or filling in when needed then is a good weapon to have. We doubted a lot of our players could play in this system and they could so I’m pretty sure an experienced Danish internationalist will be fine too.
But if £30 million comes in we’ve won 🤣

Player who has been mostly solid to good for us in defensive systems over 3 years, fans and journalists decide by themselves that he's for some reason not a fit for a progressive team, people for some reason decide he only passes the ball backwards. He's a great squad option for midfield depth, we'll finish higher this season with him than without him, unless we have a good replacement lined up. If a legit £30m plus bid is made then fair enough, but there's probably 10 players I'd be actively trying to move on before Hojbjerg.

I’m not a PEH basher or hater. I understand the positives he can bring to our side. It’s more about the numbers game. He’s basically the only player other clubs might be willing to pay a decent fee for.

Cheap club like Spurs can’t really afford to sniff at €8 mill can we. I’m the also about getting foreign players with high wages off the books. So it’s not just about the transfer fee.
Yeah, but what are we doing with that £8m? We'd probably have to may something like £20m for a player like Tosin, who I'm not sure is a meaningful upgrade.

I’m going to say yes, if we won the CL, PL and FA cup last season and then the opening 3 games of the season and the club announced it was spending £100m on Harry Maguire - I honestly would think “they know what they are doing - last season proved that”

When you win one league cup in 23 years and have a track record of buying pure liquid shit half the time it does make a difference

City Paid 45m for an injured Phillips that they have no faith in.

They also bought Mendy who is shit.

They also bought Jack Rodwell & Wilfred Boney.

spot on. he might not relentlessly play forward, but he springs traps with his ball playing. hell pass forward when the oppo team are set on him going backwards. hes a great squad player to come on for the last 20. worked his socks off against bournemouth too. aggressively chasing people down and coming back to stop crosses etc. i think 30m isnt enough. youre not going to replace him for 30m for the important job hes going to be doing this year in shutting games off.

PEH is coming on to do an actual job, hes not coming on to give someone a rest. theres a huge difference.

Surely too early for him to move?
I doubt he's ready for the EPL now, yes. Young players often have a burst "forward" in their career and then it flattens out - but from there, some player carry on while others just remain the "same". And this trajectory can be hard to predict in players.
He's seen as a potential top-quality CB though ...and thus he may not wanna join a club, like Spurs, were he will find a hard time getting into the team.

linked to marcus edwards, personally i would take both him and johnson at least it gives us pacier options on the wing

no idea whats happening with solomon tho but if we put son central getting those two in make sense

Wasn’t 30m what athletico were wanting to pay? If he’s going to United I hope we slap on a substantial United tax as he’ll most likely improve their midfield a fair bit.

30m euro was the (fair) asking price.

AM played silly bollocks.

Man U tax should now come into play.

Ok so we have established that this is the questions to answer when you sign talent before it arrives as top class.

We chose fear of them being a dud for Kvara and KMJ.

Looks like it might be the same fear that means we pass on Orban.

That was my post.

But you realise that not every player is like Kvara and KMJ right?

All you've done is selected 2 players we missed out on and just assumed that Orban will be the exact same situation as the these two, what is that exactly based on?

There's a million players who get transferred to bigger clubs/leagues that don't make it and flop so your point is kinda meaningless.

At the end of the day neither of us know how he will end up but what I'm saying now is that signing him now when we already have a striker who is out of sorts is a bit reckless.

Manager wants "shite players" now does he? :sonpoint:

Fans throwing their toys out the pram because the money isn't being spent on players they play with on FUT, spare me your unrealistic wet dreams please.
Manager have of course bought shite players before and will do in the future. What a clown to think managers get all transfers right. Aiming higher than Richarlison and Brennan with a £110 million is a wet dream....

Back
Top Bottom