Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm just surprised there wasn't (seemingly) any shenanigans by us and Leicester in the pricing of Maddison and Winks. They have a sell on clause for the former, so you'd have thought they'd have that in mind. Perhaps Winks goes for pennies and that in turn knocked down the Maddison price to reduce the sell on fee.

A lot of back scratching going on I think. I wouldn’t be surprised if the club do a couple more deals together this window.

Tell you what we should do...we should submit world record bids for Saliba & Saka. Not cause I want them, just to proper piss them cunts from down the road off.

Would be well lolz & tell you what, if he did that Uncle Dan Dan would get some kudos from me.

🤣

Can we have some more transfer jokes please
Did you hear the one about clubs in Saudi signing virtually any cunt for big money and wage but totally ignoring Tanguy
Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

Yeah.

I genuinely get the vibes comming out of Newcastle, this too is largely fuelled by the media that ignore the fact they are limited to what they can spend re FFP but the reality is their revenue is "only" £180m, they can't go around spunking money on players (there will be every dodgy devious deal that will push the envelope as we are seeing from their overvalued shirt deal and Chavs and Suadi Clubs buying all their overpriced mistakes right now).

That said what is funny is they truly think that this squad that barely had anyone at the World Cup last season (400-something mins vs Us with +3000 & CL) and no CL football that they think this is the norm for them. They think that us, Liverpool and Chavs will have our worst seasons in decades again this season (all of those teams had some of the highest mins played by their squad at the World Cup and also played a heavily condensed CL campaign.

I'll hold my hands up and praise Howe to the rafters if they finish in the top 4 in the season due to start (I'm not saying they will be back down to their usual lower mid-table finishes they are most certainly on the next peg down below us and Ange has to get his shit together at Spurs.

All of us, Chelsea and Liverpool will finish ahead of them next season. I’m fairly confident of that.

No, you are missing the point and making very basic logical mistake. It is not about agreement or disagreement, it is about numbers.

As I said in the first place - 1 dollar cost is 1 dollar cost. Either if we pay it for transfer fee, salary or sign up fee. It does not matter too much when you will pay it. It might make it easier that a new club would take him off our hands but that is also the case when for example we pay him higher salaries but at the end of it will agree to compensate part of the salaries in order for transfer to be completed.

Also, can you explain your statement "also he will then likely get first team football, rather than sitting on the bench" - I mean, that should be based on his ability not about how the transfer is structured ?!?! And that is basically what I am saying - in playing wise, he has proven he is not fast nor mobile enough. So I feel that he could maybe be a last resort option but not a starting CB for us. If we want to be a CL club, that is.

It is true, that Saudis are somewhat of an option, but that is also the case now if we wants to go. And even for Saudis, 28 yo Lenglet is worth more than 31 yo Lenglet. I mean, just look the example of Koulibali - year ago Chelsea purchased him for 38 mil. Now he left to Saudiland for 23 mil EUR. That is LOSS from the flip of 15 mil + salary cost paid over the year. Not profit.

So your points make very little sense and I do not see any real life scenarios supporting that line of thinking. We should go for players with upside and ability to improve. Not for player that we tested, found out to have massive flaws and who is getting close to 30 in age.

The higher salary has proved time and again to be an issue, it's often the stopping point of a transfer. If we subsidise his salary then what? What happens when his contract ends? The club are saddled with a player hoping to still earn £160k per week? Nobody is doing that! Also imagine we sign a player and between us and another club pay him £400k. What will Harry etc. think? There are so many reasons a signing-on bonus is better, we're also likely to pay less by offering this upfront.

It's not always about the payment, but the structure. You can argue until you are blue in the face it's the same but it's not. If we paid £8m, and gave a £5m signing on bonus we could argue it was another way to structure the transfer fee due, and it was Barca taking the hit, not us.

My statement about first team football was in relation to his current choices:

1. Sit on Barca bench
2. Hope to get a loan, and not to some obscure country/league

or come to us, a club and city he seems to know and like where he is likely to get playing time (maybe not first choice but playing time)

I personally don't see £13m as a big fee for a reasonable back-up, sure we should be signing better first team players but we're never going to have two £40m players fighting for positions all over the pitch.

More than likely we can use him for a couple of seasons and move him on for £8m – that's just the cost of ownership. Not every player is going to give us a huge return, our loss on this one could be quite insignificant. I don't see that as a bad thing for business. There are new markets now opening that will help moving him on...

Look at Tanguy £60m purchase and £50m salary. We can probably all agree it's been a dissaster and we're going to loose in-excess of 80m. Nobody will pay his salary, let alone a nominal transfer fee and he wont take a drop in earnings. He's probably going to run his contract down and leave on a free.

Haha, one of the best keepers in Europe! I hope Vicario is great, but this guy is some spoofer. Twitter is now, more so than ever, people just saying dumb shit for engagement.

Guy’s a complete wind up merchant.

Look, let’s deal with some cold hard facts here before the over zealous happy clapping goes into over drive in a similar fashion as it did in the past 2 “9/10” Summer Windows under Mourinho and Conte.

-We’ve taken a punt on an inexperienced bottom half Serie A goalkeeper likely from Paratici’s recommendation, which is suspect to say the least, to replace our captain and one of our most influential players of the last decade. I really hope he turns out to be a top top keeper but it’s a gamble without any question.

- we still have no Director of Football despite many reputable journalists saying that this was a position we had intended to fill before we got a manager in. Is this still an appointment we want to make? Will it be someone Postecoglu wants to work with and vice versa? Or have the plans just inexplicably gone out the window?

- we still have an incredibly high number of players who it will be unacceptable should they still be at the club next season.

- there is still a very high chance of our best player leaving the club this summer (anyone who honestly believes that drivel from Redknapp that Kane wouldn’t be interested in a move to Munich is living on another planet)

The above are just a sprinkle of the issues that still remain as a result of the utterly shambolic nature of the last few years.

Maddison is a very smart piece of business and should hopefully be a good player for us, but there is so so much more work that is needed to be done before the team is in any kind of shape to really compete next season or before any fan pressure on Levy or the ownership should let up.

Skipp and Gil the only ones left from that lift maybe
Give the kids a damn chance, Big Ange!

Skippy is limited technically, probably always will be...but he fights for the shirt.

Bryan G could be a right contributor, even off the bench for 30 mins ish a game, kid's defo got bags of talent. Not putting him in the same category, but David Silva had a similar physique and it didn't stop him...

Devine would be a breath of fresh air. You just know the lad would be exciting, try stuff, be unpredictable.

Young Troy didn't set the world alight on his various loans, but neither did Kane and see what happened when given his shot at the big time. Again, not putting Troy in the same category but who knows what being trusted/loved by a proper coach like Ange could lead to.

Let's not get too OTT with Sarr. When I see some saying he should start just based on that Milan game, I mean come on...but the lad defo has quality and brings something different.

Somehow I'm more excited and positive about the kids being on the bench & coming on than Richarlison.

Fackin lave our ol wheeler dealer, he's honestly tip top, luvely juvely chaperoos :adesalute:
there's a lotta truth in that.

I think the fans and club's loyalty to him will mean he gets to play more, and longer here than at any other club where he'll be benched when they have wrung him dry.

He's earned well, family around him, everyone happy and settled. Likely has other investments going and projects lined up for post football.

I think he'll sign a new contract, 3 years with an option and stay as our highest earner.

Back
Top Bottom