Those were the days…….

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

that's the trouble with being so old!
Old Woman Yes GIF

Good perm!

Good grief, I went to all of those Super Duper Cup games. Think I was one of about 50 Spurs supporters who made that trip. Remember being so annoyed that it went into extra time and they scored more or less straight away.
For those youngsters who don't know what the Super Cup was about - the Football League thought it would be a good idea to introduce a tournament for the teams that missed out on European qualification. English clubs had been banned, due to Liverpool fans causing the death of 39 Juventus fans at the European Cup Final the previous year.
Mrs P were Liverpool allowed in it? If they were and they accepted it ....Well shows you how utterly shameless they are..

Ps: who won the rancid thing?

Aye. Was there too. 1983 Cup Winners Cup against Real Madrid. Weird to say for someone Scottish, but I’d never seen rain like it. Honestly think that might have made a difference to the result.
its maybe wrong but I read somewhere that, that was the only final Real Madrid have lost in european competition before or since…?

its maybe wrong but I read somewhere that, that was the only final Real Madrid have lost in european competition before or since…?
Sounds plausible, but no idea. Think it was the only trophy they didn’t win that year, but won five others?

Mrs P were Liverpool allowed in it? If they were and they accepted it ....Well shows you how utterly shameless they are..

Ps: who won the rancid thing?
I don't think so. The only other team that I can remember us playing was Southampton. No idea who won it, I lose interest in any cup competition as soon as we get knocked out!

I don't think so. The only other team that I can remember us playing was Southampton. No idea who won it, I lose interest in any cup competition as soon as we get knocked out!
Red scouse beat blue scouse in the final. Was us, those two, Man Utd, Southampton and Norwich. Basically the teams who would have been in Europe if the red scouse plague hadn’t been such scum.

Red scouse beat blue scouse in the final. Was us, those two, Man Utd, Southampton and Norwich. Basically the teams who would have been in Europe if the red scouse plague hadn’t been such scum.
Thanks, I went to all of them, forgot that Liverpool were allowed to take part - disgraceful decision.

Love this. The attendances are hilarious. 11k at Villa. Think the Chelsea crowd is overstated too. Around then I’m sure they went below 10k.

Is the weird tournament what the ZDS Cup was called back then?

Two weeks before we played Chelsea in the FA Cup QF game in 1982 (probably my favourite ever THFC game), they managed to get a crowd of 9, 710 for the visit of Cardiff City. Admittedly they were 2nd tier back then but still...

The OP led me to doing a bit of research on the mighty Chavs.

In the seasons both before and after the start of the Premier League, Chelsea’s average attendance was 18,700. That average was only maintained due to very large away supports for matches involving the likes of Liverpool, United, Arse and Spurs.

Their first season in the PL saw attendances dipping to 13-14k on a number of occasions. In their last season before the PL, they even had attendances as low as 7k for a match against Southampton and 10k against Coventry.

In the decade before the star of the PL, Chelsea had numerous matches where less than 10k were watching, including an infamous low of 6,000 against Leyton Orient.

Plastic wankers.

:pochcmon: :mourshock: :nunothumb:

Last edited:
Love this. The attendances are hilarious. 11k at Villa. Think the Chelsea crowd is overstated too. Around then I’m sure they went below 10k.

Is the weird tournament what the ZDS Cup was called back then?
No, it wasn’t the Zenith, or anything else, except a bit of a disaster.

Nice article here about it - The Forgotten Story of ... the English Super Cup | Jacob Steinberg

Apparently, our crowds weren’t up to much for this tournament. 7500 turning up to watch our home leg semi final against Everton!

Vaguely as a long looooong time ago re the European ban but Norwich won erm…….Milk Cup ???? beat Sunderland in the final and Norwich had a sulk cos they wouldn’t get to play in Europe! But can’t remember Milk, League, Haribo , whatever fecking cup it was called got you into europe?

I think it was around this time the Anglo Italian cup was also held?? From memory a chance for lower league clubs to play their counterparts from the Italian leagues

A score sheet from March 1986 midweek so attendances may be affected …
3571-FDD2-FF14-4-C7-E-8568-4-BF8-A5-C92-C1-A.jpg
Attendances were that low at the time. I can remember going to games in a Saturday where we only had an about 25,000. The introduction of live football games on TV other than the FA cup final awakened the public to football and attendances started to rise.

An Flanagan for Charlton. I know his understudy from then. He told Flanagan he wanted a pay rise (he had his own Panini sticker). Anyway Flanagan advised going into the guvnor and telling him that he was off if he didn’t get a pay rise. Next season was starting. In the Danish second div.
Flanagan was on Spurs books in the 70's I think

Back
Top Bottom