Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who gets him top 4 from a league position of 9th, then starts the next season like a train (23 points from 10 games) only to see the wheels come off when he lost every meaningful forward player to injury except Kane. Plus his best CM and CB.

Conte gets results, we've seen it before and we've seen it at Spurs in his first few months.
So is Conte not to blame for any of this then?Everyone was back for the game against Woolwich bar Bentancur and look how it was a repeat of the previous umpteen lethargic performances. Why didn’t we attack Woolwich from minute 1 like we did last year? Yes we got 4th but in honesty Woolwich did choke badly.

So is Conte not to blame for any of this then?Everyone was back for the game against Woolwich bar Bentancur and look how it was a repeat of the previous umpteen lethargic performances. Why didn’t we attack Woolwich from minute 1 like we did last year? Yes we got 4th but in honesty Woolwich did choke badly.
They didnt sack their manager when they choked badly. So maybe we should 'trust the process' too?

If you take Conte's PPGs from last season across all 38 games we'd have strolled it and got 3rd.

.....But, despite some good signings; we are a world away from the team that was scoring for fun and mean at the back last season.

Says he does not have the cbs to play 4 at the back when all of them have played there previously. He means I have no intention to play 4 so I will throw my toys out of the pram again.

I mean…do you need to be reminded of our defending when Dier played in a 2?

I don’t think Conte is necessarily wrong that our CBs don’t suit a back 4. They are mostly slow/clumsy and when asked to play with big spaces behind they look dogshit. The back 3 is definitely better for them.

Unfortunately it’s killing our midfielders as we simply do not have a freak like Kante/prime Wanyama who can do the work of two players. If we are going to stick with 343 we have to push the team higher up, our deep defence is allowing all the opposing players to enter our half and our two midfielders are getting swamped. Either play 352 and drop off or keep the 343 and press high.

We shouldn’t be camped in our half asking 2 midfielders to cover 5+ opponents on the edge of our box.

I mean…do you need to be reminded of our defending when Dier played in a 2?

I don’t think Conte is necessarily wrong that our CBs don’t suit a back 4. They are mostly slow/clumsy and when asked to play with big spaces behind they look dogshit. The back 3 is definitely better for them.

Unfortunately it’s killing our midfielders as we simply do not have a freak like Kante/prime Wanyama who can do the work of two players. If we are going to stick with 343 we have to push the team higher up, our deep defence is allowing all the opposing players to enter our half and our two midfielders are getting swamped. Either play 352 and drop off or keep the 343 and press high.

We shouldn’t be camped in our half asking 2 midfielders to cover 5+ opponents on the edge of our box.
Problem is that is how he will set up until the end of the season. Amazingly we managed to set up with a back 4 under Mourinho with very similar players and I am pretty sure we were conceding less goals. We do not need three at the back unless we want to go super defensive to try Nick the game.

They didnt sack their manager when they choked badly. So maybe we should 'trust the process' too?
It doesn't look like there is any process to trust, at least not under Conte. ATM I don't know if we can even trust him to see out the remainder of the season without causing damage to the club. If he's not motivated, there is no point in him being here any longer.

I'm not arguing he's perfect or blameless, there isn't a manager past or present who doesn't make mistakes or get things wrong and if you look at Conte on a micro level there's plenty to question at least.

But looking at him at a macro level, he delivers pretty much everywhere he's been and unlike Jose he's not been in decline in recent years.

Last season was a massive bonus for the club, it was desperate under Nuno, there was absolutely no hope at all and Conte changed that.

Regarding the Arse game, we actually started pretty well until they got on top and then Hugo fucked up twice. Kulu is still making his way back to full match fitness and Rich clearly isn't fully fit yet.

But coming after the Nuno and Jose debacles what club would sack a manager after a top 4 finish in 5 months (when in 9th) whilst sitting in 5th, in the last 16 of the CL and still in the FA Cup with a squad that needs rebuilding after years of pony recruitment? Who the fuck have we become, Chelsea?

But even if you think Conte should go, who has ultimately led us to this point? I'll give you a clue, he's bald, short and has the best seat in the house.

Problem is that is how he will set up until the end of the season. Amazingly we managed to set up with a back 4 under Mourinho with very similar players and I am pretty sure we were conceding less goals. We do not need three at the back unless we want to go super defensive to try Nick the game.
Jose was a disaster, we never got anywhere near the top 4 never mind in it.

Conte most likely got exactly what he wanted. 18 months with an option for an extra year for 15 mil a year.

He's never been a long haul manager. He loves playing his short contracts out against his clubs to get as much money out of them as possible.
If he wanted paydays and loads more money, he'd ask for longer contracts and wait for the sack in order to get a payoff.

Levy could've turned him down but he was desperate after fucking us twice with Jose and Nuno. Now he's gonna fuck us again, bring in another manager and eventually fuck him too.

The buck stops at the top because he makes the appointments and decisions. If the Don is shit it's on Levy for appointing him, same with the manager and ultimately the whole club including recruitment.

I agree, if he can't operate any longer he should resign and forego a pay off. He doesn't need the money. He might just need time out and come back to football probably best in Italy.

I went through a tough period in the 90s, far worse than what Conte is experiencing and dealt with it by throwing myself into my work, I didn't have time to ponder and was too tired by the end of each day to get down.
Everyone is different and Conte may decide to see it through or seek comfort with his family.
I agree, if he can't operate any longer he should resign and forego a pay off. He doesn't need the money. He might just need time out and come back to football probably best in Italy.

I went through a tough period in the 90s, far worse than what Conte is experiencing and dealt with it by throwing myself into my work, I didn't have time to ponder and was too tired by the end of each day to get down.
Everyone is different and Conte may decide to see it through or seek comfort with his family.
100%. Yeas he may have had some personal problems. I’m sure those who were also close to the 3 people who died including family would feel the sane. Why is he bringing that up anyway? Surely that should be his own personal thoughts. Said it before I’m sure Peps mother passed away during covid. Plenty of other footballers have also lose close family and they play eg nico Williams. Why doesn’t he try to do be inspired by their deaths and try to do better? I lost my father last year and we still have to go to work earning less a year than these guys in a week. As for family he has been here 14 months it never occurred to him before. All of a sudden results are crap, the football has always been shite and now he misses his family. Fucking do the honourable thing if all this is too much for him and bloody resign. Plenty of people outside of football have leave their work for personal reasons they don’t all get fully paid off. They have to make their own way. Like someone said he wants his cake and wants to eat it. His just in it fir the money otherwise he could easily have jacked it in.

Great point - these quotes are always shown out of context and people are too lazy to watch the whole thing and see what he's responding to.
The quotes the other day about the sporting director and club physios etc being present at interviews and talking to the press were misrepresented also.

When you read or listen to the whole interview it all stems from a question Conte is asked by a journalist about "would he like to see other people from the club give their opinion?"

Back
Top Bottom