"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Wouldn't stop going but completely agree with the sentiment. It is important. We can't simply role over because some men who have no understanding of why we call ourselves 'yids' decide that we can no longer say the word. Actually it's nothing to do with them, with any other club, with our own club, it's ours, Tottenham Hotspur supporters and if united no one can take it from us.
What are they going to do, put charges up against everyone in the stadium?

:harrysmile:

No but they'll pick out whoever is in the handheld video the stewards make, charge a few and use them as examples.

Big fucking brother of the worst kind, the kind used to prosecute free speech.

If you look at it logically you can't arrest 33000 fans, so the likely thing is they will put out a couple of warnings out and if it didn't stop then games will have to be played behind closed doors. Not what I want to happen but that would make the most sense.

I know this post is from a long time ago but damn, :llorisserious: Im offended by the word "Mug".... should that ever be used again?

Get a grip. No one should ever be offended by a word. Grow a thick skin and grow up.
Don't be a fucking idiot. Like you said, that post was from aaaaages ago and you've taken one post out of context of the rest of the debate that was going on at the time.

Did you also read my post about how I'd spoken to Jewish people who had heard it chanted outside pubs and on trains and had been offended by it? i.e. outside the context of the football stadium? Did you read my post about how someone was offended by a Yid tattoo?

I know we shouldn't just kow-tow to anyone who finds something offensive, but we can certainly be sensitive to it when it comes to race and religion, because of the history of genocide and oppression. Isn't that how this whole thing started - because Spurs fans were offended by the term being used by opposition fans? If so, then it's not surprising that people (especially outside the context of the football stadium) are still offended by it.

For what it's worth, my stance has softened on the issue. Within the stadium, where pretty much everybody knows the context of how the word is being used, I cease to have much of a problem with it, because it's obvious what the fans mean.

However, it's still very uncomfortable to watch people's reactions on trains when a load of drunk Spurs supporters are chanting Yid songs. THAT is my opinion and there's no need to be so aggressive.

The problem is that this debate is always one-sided on a Spurs forum because we all understand the context of how the word is used. Outside of Spurs fans, there is much less understanding.

@ BushHillSpurs BushHillSpurs - It's like you just have to be confrontational for the sake of it. Don't patronise my intelligence. I could take it from most people, but not from you. You've shown your true colours many times and I can't engage in conversation with you. Instead of intelligently responding to that post from 18 months ago (or whenever it was), you resort to saying 'get a grip' and 'grow a pair'. Basically, you are just showing a lack of ability to debate.

I think, there is a natural opposition the stop using the word when the one of the chief architects of said opposition is a chav supporter...who have always been high up the table of anti semitic abuse. It comes across as deflecting attention from the fact that he associates with a collection of racist anti semitic scumbags once a fortnight.(we should never forget, or allow them to forget, that they had to remind their supporters in the programme that they are owned by a Jew, to try and cut the abuse down)

The debate is one for the Jewish community (which is not represented by David Baddiel), the club and the supporters groups. I'm not Jewish, so I have no right to comment on it. If , after discussions, the club and supporters groups request we stop using it, I will stop using it.

But if anyone seriously believes that Spurs fans not chanting the word will suddenly stop anti semitic abuse of spurs supporters and stop others using the word as a form of abuse, then they live in the same fantasy land as Baddiel does. and that's why this is destined to fail, IF they did succeed in stopping home supporters chanting it, away supporters at WHL still will.

It's an old one, but something that has once again been raised recently.

Understand the argument that we're reclaiming the word, but would we dream of doing the same were the word "nigger" and not "yid" ?

The more I think about it, the less comfortable I feel chanting it.

Thoughts?

Without reading every post I can tell you what it means in Yiddish. It is a term of friendship like "pal" or "mate", and is not offensive. It has is only considered offensive in this country because certain people have used it in an offensive way. Like many words, it's not the word, it's how it is used.

THST's response:

The Board of Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust notes, with interest, the recent statement from The FA regarding the use of the term ‘Yid’ within a football environment.

This issue has always been of the utmost importance to us and, whilst we fully recognise that Spurs fans use of the Y word and associated identity may have caused some upset to members of the Jewish community, we sincerely believe that no Spurs fan uses the term in a malicious way.

As stated at the meeting with The FA at Soho Square in 2006, THST believes that rather than focus on Tottenham Hotspur fans using the term, more work needs to be done to educate supporters of other clubs as to why it is completely unacceptable for them to continue to sing songs and chants that do not focus solely on Spurs fans but slur the Jewish community as a whole. THST recommended a programme be developed to educate fans of opposing teams as to why the meaning when used by others differed to the meaning when used by Spurs fans. It's with much sadness we report that no such programme took place, in spite of our offers of assistance.

THST is categorically against ejections and banning orders for the use of the term by Tottenham Hotspur supporters in a match environment and will be seeking advice from both the FSF and the legal profession as to whether there is scope for such measures under current legislation. Our view has always been that should Spurs fans use of the ‘Yid’ identity come to an end, this should be as a result of the feeling amongst the Spurs community that it was time to naturally move on.

Over the coming weeks and months, we will continue to communicate with Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and The FA to best serve Tottenham Hotspur supporters on this matter.

We welcome all contribution of ideas towards that aim either by email to [email protected], via our website located at www.THSTOfficial.com or through our twitter account @THSTOfficial.

Unfortunately we live in times where anti-semitism is a real issue, and frankly, the "yid" chant is a bit silly, I mean anyone over 30 chanting it looks a little foolish to be honest. If it were just a harmless chuckle, an in-joke, then no problem, but there are too many ugly incidents with rival supporters (or just random thugs) where anti-semitism is involved. So it's not really harmless fun. Most of the supporters chanting it aren't jewish, so it's only good manners to respect the wider jewish community who find it unpleasant.

One time I was in band camp, hang on no i wasn't. I was in a pub near london bridge on a match day. Well on my way to a pub in London bridge and from a distance I heard yid army! Yid army! I didn't reply as its not really my thing this yid army song and it was quite good a job I didn't as it was 4 chavlington thugs trying to find 'some fucking Jew' to smack. That's what they said as they passed me.

So whilst we may have taken ownership, use it as a badge of honour etc its just a red rag to a stupid cunt in the real world. Look at last season abroad.

As I said I don't care either way what happens so long as no spurs fan gets arrested for saying it. I just think the point has been made and we are not a yid army. Not by a long chalk.

Saturday will be an interesting one....

Seeing as it's Yom Kippur, anyone inside the ground who is deeply personally offended due to their Jewish heritage, PROBABLY shouldn't be at a football match in the first place on our religion's most sacred day!
I may be Jewish by birth, but I certainly don't believe in God (sorry any 'God fans' out there) so to pretend to be religious for one day would smack of hypocrisy on my part...
That said, I'm proud of my Jewish heritage, and respect the history and traditions it brings with it... and ironically enough, that includes having learned about the TRUE origins of words such as 'Yiddisher' and YID!

....plus I have a ticket, and wouldn't miss it for the world!

This again.

What more can be said that hasn't already?

Nothing will change, some will remain vehemently opposed to it. Some won't. Some will refuse to understand the context, some won't.

What I really want is for The Society of Black Lawyers to release a statement that every single piece of music, every film and any poem that has words deemed offensive to be removed from society post haste....and for Eminem, who I believe to be a Caucasian (can't say white) to cease recording music right away.

Back
Top Bottom